Proposal: Toronto - Arizona (offseason trade)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
LTIR can be used during the summer as well. Leafs did it not too long ago. So this is basically Kadri for Strome and Crowse to which I doubt the Leafs would be interested at all.

This was proven to be a misconception in the summer of 2017. The Leafs put Horton on LTIR in the off-season to make sure they had space for Brown.

Actually the Leafs never did so. They suggested they could but it was unnecessary after Marchenko’s contract was mutually terminated.

So we still don’t have an empirical example that it would work like the Leafs brass suggested.

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Leafs don't need to move Horton and his salary is a much bigger deal for Arizona than Toronto.

So value wise for the Leafs it's Kadri for Strome and Crouse which would be quite bad for a competitive team. Two near-busts for a back to back 30 goal guy is really not close.

Reactions: NoName

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
How do you figure his value is more important to Toronto then 30 other teams? I think all the other teams know exactly his value and would be trading for him because of it.
In Toronto, without him, we'd need a player that can plan on the third line but is in actuality a 2nd line center.
In most other teams, he'd be their 2nd line centre.

We need him to play third and be content with it.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You must be a Leafs fan

Couldn’t be as it makes zero sense for the Leafs.

Nylander’s main argument was that if he signs a team friendly deal there’s no guarantee he couldn’t just get traded.

If they trade Kadri who is on a team friendly deal that kills Dubas’ credibility and Marner and Matthews will definitely not sign team friendly deals.

Plus Nathan Horton’s contract has absolutely no bearing on the Leafs. They have the money to pay for it. The Horton stuff stems from a bad article that suggested the Leafs will struggle in the off-season to juggle all their contracts but there’s a 10% additional cap cushion in the off-season PLUS LTIR in the off-season as well. So if the Leafs ran into cap issues they could still put Horton on LTIR and get cap relief.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Actually the Leafs never did so. They suggested they could but it was unnecessary after Marchenko’s contract was mutually terminated.

So we still don’t have an empirical example that it would work like the Leafs brass suggested.

I distinctly remember Lou saying that he did though. Let me look.

Lamoriello says Leafs using LTIR for off-season cap relief - Sportsnet.ca

The Toronto Maple Leafs have taken advantage of long-term injury relief, general manager Lou Lamoriello said Wednesday following the team’s development camp.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They would be better if trading for Marleau - high cap and low dollars after July 1st of course.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Too much money for Arizona, not enough value for Toronto.

Agreed. And I’m sure Arizona is done taking on insane contracts. They’ve been the stepping stool for way to long for other teams. Well said my friend.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Leafs fan calling Strome a bust..... did not see that coming.....

It wasn’t just Leafs fan...it was kinda like everybody. The Hawks have given him a shot but he would have been the third line centre at best here...no chance he would be producing at the same rate.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
these types of threads need to be resurrected more often. needs to be some accountability for all of us anonymous hockey experts

Reactions: Yasuo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad