Proposal: Toronto - Arizona (offseason trade)

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
To Arizona - Nazem Kadri + Nathan Horton

To Toronto - Dylan Strome + Lawson Crouse

Justification

Nazem Kadri is on a very team friendly contract and Arizona doesnt have a plethora of proven NHL top 6 centers. This buys them some time to properly develop the guys they have coming through the pipeline (Hayton, Keller). For Toronto hes extremely hard to part with, however in a cap world its hard to justify paying our 3rd line center over 4 million dollars.

Leafs will need to be cap compliant to start the season next year. Horton cant be placed on IR until after the season begins. This will cost real money for Arizona as the contract isnt insured. SO this is something they will have to consider (4.5m to be paid with no bonus money for Toronto to take on).

Dylan Strome and Lawson Crouse are two guys that havnt seen the success that Arizona was likely hoping for. I still see potential with these players, and they may greatly benefit from a change of scenery. The Leafs will be in the market for cost controlled NHL players. Strome will be a project but could end up being a player if slotted properly with the right line mates. Crouse plays a style that Mike Babcock loves, so maybe theres a chance we can squeeze something out of him.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Justification

Nazem Kadri is on a very team friendly contract and Arizona doesnt have a plethora of proven NHL top 6 centers. This buys them some time to properly develop the guys they have coming through the pipeline (Hayton, Keller). For Toronto hes extremely hard to part with, however in a cap world its hard to justify paying our 3rd line center over 4 million dollars.

Leafs will need to be cap compliant to start the season next year. Horton cant be placed on IR until after the season begins. This will cost real money for Arizona as the contract isnt insured. SO this is something they will have to consider (4.5m to be paid with no bonus money for Toronto to take on).

Dylan Strome and Lawson Crouse are two guys that havnt seen the success that Arizona was likely hoping for. I still see potential with these players, and they may greatly benefit from a change of scenery. The Leafs will be in the market for cost controlled NHL players. Strome will be a project but could end up being a player if slotted properly with the right line mates. Crouse plays a style that Mike Babcock loves, so maybe theres a chance we can squeeze something out of him.
Horton was placed on LTIR during the summer 2 years ago so the leafs could sign Brown. Also says you can use LTIR during the summer on capfriendly if you want to look.

Toronto doesnt consider this for a second btw. Makes them far worse now and for the foreseeable future.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Kadri's value to Toronto is greater than his value on the open market.

He can play 1st / 2nd line centre effectively : puts up points and can play a defensive role against top line teams.

Additionally, he's on a very team friendly contract.

Crouse and Strome are playing 3rd & 4th line minutes in Toronto....

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Horton was placed on LTIR during the summer 2 years ago so the leafs could sign Brown. Also says you can use LTIR during the summer on capfriendly if you want to look.

Toronto doesnt consider this for a second btw. Makes them far worse now and for the foreseeable future.

If this is the case then adding Horton to this deal is pointless. I was going to have Patrick Marleau, however theres litterally zero chance he waives his NTC

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
LTIR can be used during the summer as well. Leafs did it not too long ago. So this is basically Kadri for Strome and Crowse to which I doubt the Leafs would be interested at all.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Kadri seems like he is too valuable to his team... he's like the Brenden Gallagher of his team, in the sense that he's not viewed as a top player but brings so much to the table for his team. Toronto needs Kadri to win, I'm still convinced he being out is the reason they got beat out by Boston last year

Reactions: TML1990

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Kadri's value to Toronto is greater than his value on the open market.

He can play 1st / 2nd line centre effectively : puts up points and can play a defensive role against top line teams.

Additionally, he's on a very team friendly contract.

Crouse and Strome are playing 3rd & 4th line minutes in Toronto....
How do you figure his value is more important to Toronto then 30 other teams? I think all the other teams know exactly his value and would be trading for him because of it.

Reactions: go4hockey

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
God awful for the Leafs. Horton has two years left. This year he isn't an issue at all they have over 10M in cap space without him on LTIR right now. Next year he will be on LTIR and then expired. Dumping him has 0 value to the Leafs.

So this is a 30 goal two way agitating shut down center on a good contract for two busts. Just terrible value my god.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Both teams say no. Arizona won’t take on Horton’s money, Leafs won’t give up Kadri for 2 disappointing picks so far, not worth the risk.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Justification

You don't understand Horton's contract or LTIR if you think it's such a big deal for the Leafs to have next year. Yes, Horton can be placed on LTIR before the season begins, all players can. The only thing is that Leafs won't be able to pay their 2019/20 performance bonuses in 2019/20....estimated to be 400,000, with Horton on LTIR. Talent wise, I don't think it's a good trade for Leafs, Kadri is needed or got certainly get more in a trade. But this fear of Horton's LTIR is silly. It really means nothing next year.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Marleau is a 1000 times likelier to be dealt to arizona than horton since he's insured. But only if he "retires"

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
If this is the case then adding Horton to this deal is pointless. I was going to have Patrick Marleau, however theres litterally zero chance he waives his NTC
Welllllll......there is some belief that there's a handshake deal that after July 1, 2019, he waives so we can move out the contract. He will be owed $1.5M or so. Basically, it was Patty, we'll give you the 3rd year but you have to understand you will not be playing here, deal?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Leafs will need to be cap compliant to start the season next year. Horton cant be placed on IR until after the season begins.

This was proven to be a misconception in the summer of 2017. The Leafs put Horton on LTIR in the off-season to make sure they had space for Brown.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Welllllll......there is some belief that there's a handshake deal that after July 1, 2019, he waives so we can move out the contract. He will be owed $1.5M or so. Basically, it was Patty, we'll give you the 3rd year but you have to understand you will not be playing here, deal?

There are zero legit sources on that story. It's a belief among wishful thinking fans who want to move his contract. Don't get me wrong, I wish it were so, but there's nothing suggesting it is.

Reactions: TML1990

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
There are zero legit sources on that story. It's a belief among wishful thinking fans who want to move his contract. Don't get me wrong, I wish it were so, but there's nothing suggesting it is.
I'm with you.
That doesn't mean it's not out there, though.
And, it's plausable. That contract is set up so it's easy to move. NTC not withstanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad