Friedman: Toronto and SJ could pursue Panarnin as a rental.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why would Columbus - a team with just as strong of cup hopes as SJ or TOR - trade their best offensive player for a rental package? So they can take those assets and try to acquire a rental forward? They keep Panarin all day and hope they can go on a deep playoff run and convince him to stay.

I really liked Friedman up until this year, but he's really reaching with a lot of his "speculation these days." I guess he's grasped the formula that hits > integrity, but his opinion holds little value with me these days.

Columbus is going to be much better than San Jose moving forward, so I agree with you there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How is he sacrificing any integrity? What hits? This is a video. He clearly states that he's speculating and giving his opinion.

Did Bob McKenzie lose his integrity when he said "I don't think Babcock has even given Toronto a second thought, I think he's going somewhere else?"

Weird how San Jose is turning into this go-to destination despite never really having been one during their prime contending years.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Why add another forward instead of a D?
This is a classic case of

Maximizing strength vs Improving weakness

Id like to see us improve our strength.

Panarin - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johansson - Kadri - Kapanen

if you can do that you do it

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Toronto's offence is already deadly, might very well hit 300 GF this year, with Panarin I can't even imagine how unstoppable the offence would be.

Don't need him though, waste of money.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
and get those same offers or less? Deal him nowyou get more because the other team has him for a full year.

Wait until the deadline and you get less because now the other team has him for a max of about 3 months.

I just think that they will prioritize either finding a hockey deal, or sending Panarin somewhere that he’s willing to sign long term so they get full price.

I don’t think they’re willing to settle for a 1 year rental price at this time.

If teams are only offering rental prices, then I think Columbus will just hold onto him until the deadline.
They are looking to compete this year. Having their best player (Panarin) for 3/4 of the season goes a long way toward doing that.

Just my opinion/guess anyway.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Is SJ really that close that it's worth spending whats likely to be a lot on a rental forward?

They gave Evander Kane, someone who hit 50 points for the first time in 6-7 years, 7M dollars. By that measure, Panarin should get what they were offering Tavares. 13M.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Because according to GAR the only players that had a better season than him last year are McDavid and Hall, and would arguably be the best player on our team.

Im not saying he's the 3rd best player in the NHL, but saying top-10 to 15 isn't outrageous at this point. He's that good, and only 27 this next season.

Ok, but how does that solve the Leaf's defensive problem?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Why add another forward instead of a D?
This is a classic case of

Maximizing strength vs Improving weakness

Id like to see us improve our strength.

Panarin - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johansson - Kadri - Kapanen

if you can do that you do it

Exactly this, and our D isn't that weak anyways. All we need is 6 guys who can skate and move the puck to the best forward core in the league.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Its not really he wants out yet just unsure if he wants to stay here BUT you seem to have the best grasp from the TOR side Ive seen so far.
Go ask an Islander fan, not negotiating an extension in the last year of your contract is pretty much the same as wanting out for a star player in a crap market. As far as price goes, Nylander is a crazy ask for a rental. I think you will be getting prospects and picks if he's traded, not a top line winger under team control for years. You are trading rental Panarin here, let's be real.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
How is he sacrificing any integrity? What hits? This is a video. He clearly states that he's speculating and giving his opinion.

Did Bob McKenzie lose his integrity when he said "I don't think Babcock has even given Toronto a second thought, I think he's going somewhere else?"

I'm not making the statement based solely on this "speculation," as I did mention his work for the last year being a downhill trend in terms of accuracy. If you feel differently, so be it, but I don't think I'm the only HF member who feels this way.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

I agree Gardiner needs to be better.
But....
JVR vs Panarin
Bozak vs Tavares

We get better defensively from our forwards and our D doesn't change minus Polak.

I can't see us being worse defensively on the back end next year and we were 12th in goals against.

We will be better defensively from our forwards.

And we will get way more goals (in this very unlikely scenario we get Pan)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I agree Gardiner needs to be better.
But....
JVR vs Panarin
Bozak vs Tavares

We get better defensively from our forwards and our D doesn't change minus Polak.

I can't see us being worse defensively on the back end next year and we were 12th in goals against.

We will be better defensively from our forwards.

And we will get way more goals (in this very unlikely scenario we get Pan)

If you think Tr91tor is an upgrade defensively over Bozak you don't know 91.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

You are isolating a single play that makes Gardiner look bad. That is garbage. So can I post a video of Laine scoring an own goal and say he has an attitude problem?

Gardiner is a damn good top 3 defenseman. Leafs don't have any defensive issues, we need 6 guys who can move the puck to your forwards and we have that.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
You are isolating a single play that makes Gardiner look bad. That is garbage. So can I post a video of Laine scoring an own goal and say he has an attitude problem?

Gardiner is a damn good top 3 defenseman. Leafs don't have any defensive issues, we need 6 guys who can move the puck to your forwards and we have that.

Hey worked out for them last year right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad