Eklund Rumor: Toronto and Montreal in on Vanek

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
MTL had Vanek when he was 3-4 years younger and was still able to put points. Now he's slower and older; why would MTL take another run at him when they had zero interest in re-signing him then?

He also said "major trade, stay tuned!" the words "stay tuned" really **** me off when he's the one using them.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Leafs don't even have enough cap space to sign Brown until they can put Lupul or Horton on LTIR. How can they afford Vanek? This would mean JVR is on the move, though obviously Eklund isn't a reliable source.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
NHL 17 Be A GM is Eklund's sources. If the trade comes close to working in the game he'll use it as a rumor.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Report: Leafs in on every single player that doesn't fit their only position of need, defense. This has been going on for over 15 years and its the sole reason why the franchise is the laughing stock of the league.

Icing Marincin/Marchyenko in the top-6 for the playoffs was a garbage move by management, you need 7 NHL defenseman for a playoff run and they didn't have that quantity, Marleau cap hit was a garbage signing at the incorrect position again.

Even with a "can't screw up" core, the management group is screwing up a lot.

Here's to another fantastic chance to win the cup (with insane production on ELC contracts) pissed down the tube because of a blatant failure to address the only position of need. JVR, Bozak, Leo or some combination of them will be lost for free, and 2 fantastic opportunities will have been pissed down the drain due to incompetence.

Sorry leaf fans. Maybe next year.
Wow, one fan gets it. I agree, 100%.

They are the laughing stock of the League, too. That's also accurate. How long has it been that they have needed to upgrade the defence position? They always have stiffs there....even their top 4 are only average, at best..... they live and die on goaltending and if they score goals. They aren't anywhere near contenders. They're perennial pretenders.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
How does he base his rumours, anyways? Does he actually overhear the GMs talking on their phones?

No. He has a connection or two, but 99.9% of everything he posts is clearly just made up. And it's clearly made up to just try and get more people to his site. Whatever, the guy has made a living out of generating fake rumors. I'm envious, but this guy's "rumors" are garbage, and 99.9% of the time, it's fake.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'd think if the Marleau signing didn't already do it, adding Vanek would all but guarantee a JVR trade.

I'd rather give Jagr a shot than Vanek for Montreal

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Report: Leafs in on every single player that doesn't fit their only position of need, defense. This has been going on for over 15 years and its the sole reason why the franchise is the laughing stock of the league.

Icing Marincin/Marchyenko in the top-6 for the playoffs was a garbage move by management, you need 7 NHL defenseman for a playoff run and they didn't have that quantity, Marleau cap hit was a garbage signing at the incorrect position again.

Here's to another fantastic chance to win the cup (with insane production on ELC contracts) pissed down the tube because of a blatant failure to address the only position of need. JVR, Bozak, Leo or some combination of them will be lost for free, and 2 fantastic opportunities will have been pissed down the drain due to incompetence.

1) don't think anyone is laughing at the leafs, or oilers now. Avs/Nucks are now those teams

2) The season hasnt even started but they already blew their chance? get real

3) Why are JVR,Bozak and Komarov all gone for nothing? The leafs are clearly gonna move at least one of these guys for D help. DO you think sharks fans are going crazy that they lost Marleau for nothing?

you need to take a step back. not the leafs fans fault the media dedicates so much time to the largest fan base.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Toronto :biglaugh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahhaaaa

We are not. I know what Lou do. He ain't in on this at all. This is way off.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto

Hey man you need to talk?

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
"Hey, let's take the two biggest fan bases, make a rumour up and get a bunch of hits to my website"

-Eklund.... proceeds to roll around in all this ad money you give him clicking his dumb page.

Have a beer and make up your own rumours, bet it'd be more fun than reading his garbage.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There really isn't any cap space or spots to play. And there's like 1 contract spot. Unless Vanek is good with signing with the Marlies for a 100k AHL contract this isn't happening. Eklund should at least try to make a little sense when making things up. It might get a handful more people to fall for it if he put in just 30 seconds more work.

Yet he's still 500% more likely to sign in Toronto than Montreal, where they let him walk 3 years ago because he was too old and too slow.

Eklund doesn't even try.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
The leafs would not be in on vanek. He would be benched so fast under Babcock that our heads would spin. My bet is 1yr 1m in either Carolina or florida

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
TO has no cap space and a coach who doesn't like floaters like Vanek. The Habs have a plethora of wingers and no centermen.

But yeah, this rumour should make some sense according to Eklund... :laugh:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I already heard by Marc Bergevin thats he doesnt liked the game shape of Vanek. loll

he wont take it back

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
JVR for Vatanen/Braun
Bozak for a 1st
Vanek on a 3Mx1Yr deal

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Vanek - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Moore - Martin
ex. Leivo, Rychel

Vanek would actually be a good JVR replacement as a net front presence that can play a top-6 role, a 1 year term would leave open the possibility for the Leafs to get into the Kovy/JT/JT sweepstakes.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So we got nothing else to talk about so I'm posting this. Eklund has Toronto and Montreal in on Vanek while Detroit is out according to Eklund which means he will be in Detroit in a week .

Montreal does need scoring but where would he play in Toronto?

LMFAO Eklund needs to get off the drugs, Detroit is still very much in on Vanek, Especially if there's a chance that Detroit moves Tatar.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yet he's still 500% more likely to sign in Toronto than Montreal, where they let him walk 3 years ago because he was too old and too slow.

Eklund doesn't even try.

montreal didnt " let him walk". He kind of disappeared in the playoffs to the point montreal was initially concerned he might never actually come back then just convinced themselves that the end of the regular season was just a bad dream and moved on.

So long as MB is GM, I think it exceedingly unlikely that vanek draws any interest from montreal.

to this I say, thank goodness !

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I know the moderators have answered endless questions as to why Eklund is considered a prefix on this board for new threads, but I don't understand how Eklund is considered as an option for a prefix on HFboards, when the guy has little to no credibility left. Anyone can make a prediction, but if they are not insiders then they would end of being wrong 99% of the time unless they get lucky.

99% of the time anything he predicts is wrong. Most of the content posted from Eklund rumors on HF Boards is just a waste of space on the server I'd imagine. Look at Eklunds history predictions of trades, signing, etc,etc. it speaks for itself.

HF Boards should hold a meeting of the top moderators and consider removing Eklund as a choice of a prefix when posting a new thread.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
TO has no cap space and a coach who doesn't like floaters like Vanek. The Habs have a plethora of wingers and no centermen.

But yeah, this rumour should make some sense according to Eklund... :laugh:
Are you sure they don't? Leaf fans think they have tons of cap room for all the all-star Dmen they're bringing in. After all, that fan (in the Marleau signing thread) was out to lunch....how dare he criticize the Leafs for not upgrading the position in which they particularly suck at for the last decade? That bum poster...shame on him. :shakehead

Anyway, latest rumor is that Detroit is talking to Vanek/+ agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad