Proposal: TOR X Carolina - No Kapanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Habs fan here. Not a Leafs homer. Originally didn't have Ferland, and had Johnsson over Kapanen but had to change it last minute because it was really uneven. Please fix title mods :)

To Toronto: Hamilton, Pesce, (Ferland)

To Carolina: Zaitsev, Bracco, Sandin, 2020 1st, Johnsson (Kapanen instead of A.J if Ferland is involved)

Still think the Leafs have to add here, just not sure how much more. Adding Liljegren wouldn't make it work considering the Canes owner is gung-ho on getting forwards.

Thoughts?

As a TML fan they would do this in a second. Carolina would hang up the phone immediately.

Your talking about two top 4 RHD .....

I’ll just stop and while I have gotten some flak for some proposals this is beyond bad.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Scoring a right handed defender and they also get prospects.

Got a downgrade on the RHD, switching wingers and a bunch of prospects when they already loaded with middle wingers.

Start with 1 of the big 3 and go on from there (Nylander is only intressting after July 1)

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Got a downgrade on the RHD, switching wingers and a bunch of prospects when they already loaded with middle wingers.

Start with 1 of the big 3 and go on from there (Nylander is only intressting after July 1)
Yes, that is possible.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
After each game I'm more and more convinced if Carolina wants Kapanen or Johnsson it will be Pesce +, as skilled forward >> Defensive Dman

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And it’s really only one leafs fan who’s defending it.
I am not defending it. I objected to "getting crap back" or garbage or nothing. Ect ect. I said of course The Canes aren't going to give up 2 defencemen. Don't project me as something I am not.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Imagine the concept of trading the two of them to separate teams in order to gain more valuable assets from each respective team? Each would fetch more than the Travis Hamonic return and the Leafs can't afford to match that. Maybe for one, but not two.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It would cost Kapanen alone to shed Zaitsev's contract. $20+ million owed to a bottom-pair D. Canes got a better asset in Teravainen for one year of Brian Bickell at $4 million.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Absolutely, but with a D core of

Rielly/Hamilton
Muzzin/Pesce
Gardiner/Hainsey

they could ACTUALLY win the cup this year.

Sorry I must of missed all the cup teams Hamilton and Pesce played on. Just for the record, Toronto with its inferior defense have been the better defensive team than Carolina. Goaltending likely accounts for that, but why bust up the chemistry on something that's working with the Leafs 5th in overall standings?

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
It would cost Kapanen alone to shed Zaitsev's contract. $20+ million owed to a bottom-pair D. Canes got a better asset in Teravainen for one year of Brian Bickell at $4 million.

Well, that's a steaming load:
Teravainen's best season prior to being trade 13 G 22 A for 35 Pts in 78 games
Kapanen's best season to date 18 G 16 A for 34 Pts in only 56 games. Extrapolated that comes damn close to 50 pts.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Sorry I must of missed all the cup teams Hamilton and Pesce played on. Just for the record, Toronto with its inferior defense have been the better defensive team than Carolina. Goaltending likely accounts for that, but why bust up the chemistry on something that's working with the Leafs 5th in overall standings?

I agree, the leafs need to run with what they have and see how they hold up in the playoffs before making major trades.

The canes have been much better since the Nino came over and they too need to see what they can do before making more changes.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Kapanen's best season to date 18 G 16 A for 34 Pts in only 56 games. Extrapolated that comes damn close to 50 pts.
If you extrapolate Kapanen's points, you should also extrapolate Bickell's contract to five years. Taking on an undesired contract for such a long time carries unpredictable risks.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

What does never having won a cup have to do with anything? Erik Karlsson is no good because he’s never won a cup? Brent Burns? Shea Weber?

Why do leafs fans always bring up cups?

Reactions: Ahoy there

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Looking at 22 year old season vs 21 year old season. The issue with Kapanen is that he used an entire ELC year in the AHL (2016-17) due to sliding twice already. That is why he is up for RFA coming off his breakout year next to Matthews whereas Teravainen came to Carolina with 1 RFA year remaining. In Kapanen's case I fear it will create a cascading contract issue which ends in a salary much bigger than Teravainen's recent 5 year x $5.4 million deal.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What does never having won a cup have to do with anything? Erik Karlsson is no good because he’s never won a cup? Brent Burns? Shea Weber?

Even besides the Stanley Cup threshold it is a pretty silly argument based on strength of team. He "must have missed" that Dougie Hamilton played a top-4 role on the 2013-14 Boston Bruins who finished the year 54-19-9. Given that the Leafs are currently 35-18-3, I think it is very unlikely they will match the strength of that Boston team.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Because they are close to reaching the Rangers record for Stanley Cup drought, and want to know what it's like to actually have a winner play on their team

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad