Confirmed Trade: [TOR/WSH] Joel Edmundson (50% retained) for 2024 3rd round pick and 2025 5th round pick

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Treliving's "overhaul" of the Leafs blueline is the most hilarious thing ever. Just collecting an extensive bunch of totally washed broken down old dudes and no skill defensive plugs and calling it "improvement". :laugh:

The overhaul hasn't even started that comes in the off season.

Reactions: sxvnert

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Treliving's "overhaul" of the Leafs blueline is the most hilarious thing ever. Just collecting an extensive bunch of totally washed broken down old dudes and no skill defensive plugs and calling it "improvement". :laugh:
What "overhaul"?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
For all the criticism the leafs got for trading for Lybushkin and Edmundson they have been fine as our 6th and 7th best defenseman…

Reactions: authentic

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

No GM has overhauled a Blueline of a playoff team at the trade deadline. Not sure what you're talking about.

The only long term D move he's made was signing Simon Benoit, which has been a great considering his role on the team and that he's an RFA.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Rielly, McCabe, Brodie and Liljegren are fine. Even Benoit has been very good. Not elite but top 15.
Rielly is good, the others are going to have a problem with playoff speed and intensity. Would be surprise to see the Leafs do better this year again.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
The problem is your 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th best dman.
You’re grasping at straws for someone who doesn’t seem to watch the leafs much.

Take in a game outside of Leafs vs Habs and expand your sample size.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Rielly is good, the others are going to have a problem with playoff speed and intensity. Would be surprise to see the Leafs do better this year again.
McCabe has been really good all year. I don't think there is any issue there at all. Liljegren has consistency issues, I have my concerns over his decision making under an inevitable heavy forecheck come playoff time and Brodie has just had a bad season with the odd flashes of the Brodie of old in there here and there.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
McCabe has been really good all year. I don't think there is any issue there at all. Liljegren has consistency issues, I have my concerns over his decision making under an inevitable heavy forecheck come playoff time and Brodie has just had a bad season with the odd flashes of the Brodie of old in there here and there.
Liljegren doesn't have consistency issues. He has issues being good. The stats prove he is the worst defenseman on the team. I agree he will be even worse in the playoffs.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Liljegren doesn't have consistency issues. He has issues being good. The stats prove he is the worst defenseman on the team. I agree he will be even worse in the playoffs.
He has had stretches of really good play this year. When he is bad he is really really bad and I think his issues come when he has time and space taken away from him. Which is what the playoffs are at the end of the day.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
He has had stretches of really good play this year. When he is bad he is really really bad and I think his issues come when he has time and space taken away from him. Which is what the playoffs are at the end of the day.
His issue is that he can't play defense. He has no ability to turn the puck over when the other team has it. It's like a power play when he's on the ice.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Rielly is a top pair D
Brodie is but is playing pretty poorly
McCabe is a low 4 good 5

Lilly/boosh/edmundson/benoit are 3rd pair.

Really Toronto needed a top pair D even if Brodie returned to form now it looks weak

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
His issue is that he can't play defense. He has no ability to turn the puck over when the other team has it. It's like a power play when he's on the ice.
I don't know I try to stay somewhat even keeled like I don't have confidence in him....but to me it is false to say there hasn't been anything good there. It makes it more frustrating that he does show the flashes of what he could be as a player. Like he was objectively great Thursday night against the Flyers. When Rielly went down he stepped up and played really well....but those moments fade fast with him which makes it frustrating because that play is there. He just can't consistently make smart decisions.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I don't know I try to stay somewhat even keeled like I don't have confidence in him....but to me it is false to say there hasn't been anything good there. It makes it more frustrating that he does show the flashes of what he could be as a player. Like he was objectively great Thursday night against the Flyers. When Rielly went down he stepped up and played really well....but those moments fade fast with him which makes it frustrating because that play is there. He just can't consistently make smart decisions.
Overall he has by far the worst shot share on the team. When you start looking for stats that might explain why that is happening his turnovers/60 really stands out as the main contributor. Of all defensemen to play for the Leafs Benoit is 6th and he causes turnovers at more than twice the rate as Liljegren.

I'd rather have Edmundson in the line up for the playoffs 10/10 times in the playoffs. I'm interested to see what the Leafs do.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No GM has overhauled a Blueline of a playoff team at the trade deadline. Not sure what you're talking about.

The only long term D move he's made was signing Simon Benoit, which has been a great considering his role on the team and that he's an RFA.

It's been his stated Priority Project since he got there. That's what i'm talking about. And he's made some hilarious moves since the start. The deadline was just a continued extension of that.

What "overhaul"?

The one that he walked into the team and identified as a priority from the beginning of last offseason.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's been his stated Priority Project since he got there. That's what i'm talking about. And he's made some hilarious moves since the start. The deadline was just a continued extension of that.

The one that he walked into the team and identified as a priority from the beginning of last offseason.
He hasn't overhauled the d yet. He has just added some depth.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He hasn't overhauled the d yet. He has just added some depth.

The "overhaul" started with deciding who to keep, who to let walk, which Klingbergs to sign, etc.

Unless you're asserting that Treliving has done...absolutely nothing since arriving. Which isn't true. Even if he hasn't done anything particularly good or savvy.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The "overhaul" started with deciding who to keep, who to let walk, which Klingbergs to sign, etc.

Unless you're asserting that Treliving has done...absolutely nothing since arriving. Which isn't true. Even if he hasn't done anything particularly good or savvy.
How could I possibly asserting that. I just said he added depth.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How could I possibly asserting that. I just said he added depth.

That's all he's done since taking over as the Leafs GM?

Because that's false. He's done a lot more "overhauling" than that. Which dates right back to him taking over and identifying a reconfiguration of the blueline as a "priority". He's just done a really bad job of it.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Rielly is a top pair D
Brodie is but is playing pretty poorly
McCabe is a low 4 good 5

Lilly/boosh/edmundson/benoit are 3rd pair.

Really Toronto needed a top pair D even if Brodie returned to form now it looks weak

It’s a really bad defense top to bottom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad