Proposal: [TOR - WSH] Blockbender!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Doesn't quite bust the block just bends it eh?
I think the Leafs could do better for JVR tbh

A floating alternate was.. and yes, precisely!

JVR (Retained Cap)
Polak

for

Bowey
1st 2018
2nd 2017
4th 2019
Orpik

Last edited:

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Love Blockbender.

Looks pretty good to me from a Habs fans perspective.

Bowey and Bracco are a wash.

Burakovsky and Orpik for JVR is OK.

Burakovsky can fit nicely into the youth movement and Orpik can make their D better.

Hunwick is pure dump just to make up for JVR being the best player in the deal.

If Washington can afford to lose Orpik I thik it works for both.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
JVR
Bracco
Hunwick

for

Bowey
Orpik
Burakovsky

[This one is floating on the Leafs board and is not of my design]
We are in win now mode.

Bowey is more NHL ready than Bracco (certainly will be in the team next year)
Orpik starts games as a 3rd pair guy, but when needed, he can play top4 role/minutes. And Hunwick is not the guy we want. We have already Chorney for the 7thD role.

JVR could improve our 3rd line, but Burakovsky can win games for us too, sometimes. He did it in the past, and he's an RFA.

so
Right now, it's a no. Maybe in the offseason, but not sure.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Love Blockbender.

Burakovsky can fit nicely into the youth movement and Orpik can make their D better.

The best piece in the whole trade is JVR. Orpik is 36 years old and burakovsky is going to be nothing more than a 3rd line scoring winger. Horrible deal for the leafs.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
We are in win now mode.

Orpik starts games as a 3rd pair guy, but when needed, he can play top4 role/minutes. And Hunwick is not the guy we want. We have already Chorney for the 7thD role.

JVR could improve our 3rd line, but Burakovsky can win games for us too, sometimes. He did it in the past, and he's an RFA.

so

JVR would become your second best LW.

Your PP is 18th so he'd add tremendous value there as well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

No disrespect to the other poster...and this is probably going to be "the pot calling the kettle black" as a Leaf fan telling another poster, but think he's overvaluing what their team has versus what Leafs are giving up.

I think the original deal could help Washington...question for me as a Leaf fan, is Bowey the RHD I covert and I am utilizing one of the best trade chips we have in JVR....ehhhh I don't know if he's that player for us.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

Johansson-Kuznetsov-Williams, have a good chemistry together. And maybe even if you're right, I prefer to have JVR on the 3rd line, to have a very good 3rd line, a la Pens last year. Hope also he can carry a line.

JVR is a lefty, he would be on PP2 (so at best 40 seconds by PP), he can't take Johansson's spot on PP1. Johansson is too god in this role. And JVR is more a shooter than a passer. But the lefties on our PP1 are passers and righties are the shooters.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Williams, have a good chemistry together. And maybe even if you're right, I prefer to have JVR on the 3rd line, to have a very good 3rd line, a la Pens last year. Hope also he can carry a line.

JVR is a lefty, he would be on PP2 (so at best 40 seconds by PP), he can't take Johansson's spot on PP1. Johansson is too god in this role. And JVR is more a shooter than a passer. But the lefties on our PP1 are passers and righties are the shooters.

The other thing you can do with JVR is put him in front of or around the net...he's actually great at deflections etc.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The other thing you can do with JVR is put him in front of or around the net...he's actually great at deflections etc.

Everyone knows and agrees that JVR is great around the net and he is of use to a contender. If the Leafs retain on him thats another thing. Which of the two deals makes more sense for both teams though. That's the big question.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Everyone knows and agrees that JVR is great around the net and he is of use to a contender. If the Leafs retain on him thats another thing. Which of the two deals makes more sense for both teams though. That's the big question.

Well the first one hurts Washington a lot regardless of jvr value. Orpik brings the clear the net prescence that the caps need and he has been amazing this year. Replacing him with hunwick would hurt caps since everyone knows they can score

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

You just described Marcus Johansson, he also has an incredible hand eye coordination.
And on the PP, when he's not on the left side of the goalie, he's in front of him, "proposing" his stick for a deflection.

I'd like to have JVR, but we can't afford him without moving a big contract. But that won't happen.

And our coach Barry "defense first" Trotz couldn't imagine our D without Orpik (so do I).
Like I said before, he starts games as a 3rd pair guy, but he has PK duties instead of Orlov. And when we have a 1 goal lead to protect (even 2 sometimes) Orpik also replaces Orlov in the final minutes.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Yeah JVR is never more than 5 feet away from the net during a PP. Actually, this goes for about 90% of his 5 vs 5 goals also. The king of tap ins and tips. I don't think i've ever seen him take a slap shot.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yeah I agree. Leafs probably pass.

Bowey has cooled a lot as a prospect and Burakovsky is great but our future top 6 is pretty full.
And Orpik...well that says it all, doesn't it? :laugh:

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Love Blockbender.

They're really not.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
You just described Marcus Johansson, he also has an incredible hand eye coordination.
And on the PP, when he's not on the left side of the goalie, he's in front of him, "proposing" his stick for a deflection.

I'd like to have JVR, but we can't afford him without moving a big contract. But that won't happen.

And our coach Barry "defense first" Trotz couldn't imagine our D without Orpik (so do I).
Like I said before, he starts games as a 3rd pair guy, but he has PK duties instead of Orlov. And when we have a 1 goal lead to protect (even 2 sometimes) Orpik also replaces Orlov in the final minutes.

I have a feeling the Leafs would entertain retaining salary ala the Yandle trade a couple of years ago to get an extra high pick or good prospect out of the deal. Although they may just hold onto him if they are sniffing a playoff spot.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
We are in win now mode.

so

kinda selling a guy who only has 2 pts less than OV in 2 less games a bit short no? JVR would be the 2nd best winger on that team.

as a leaf fan, I say no. Bowey is a nice piece, 36 year old orpik with 5.5 x 2 1/2 years left is a non starter. the leafs always seem to end up buying those kind of guys out

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Yeah I agree. Leafs probably pass.

Bowey has cooled a lot as a prospect and Burakovsky is great but our future top 6 is pretty full.
And Orpik...well that says it all, doesn't it? :laugh:

Maybe for Toronto it doesn't make sense to have Orpik, but with the Caps he has been a very good player and locker room guy.
Season 1, of his contract, he was our best D, in postseason too
Last season, he was injured for half a year, but in the 41gp he was really good
This year, he already played 41 games this year, and if we count 20-21 horrible games to start the season, he's in the best 3D so far for the Caps.

If we haven't had guys to resign this summer, I wouldn't want to trade him

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
kinda selling a guy who only has 2 pts less than OV in 2 less games a bit short no? JVR would be the 2nd best winger on that team.

as a leaf fan, I say no. Bowey is a nice piece, 36 year old orpik with 5.5 x 2 1/2 years left is a non starter. the leafs always seem to end up buying those kind of guys out

Oshie says hello,
Mr Game 7 too (when it matters most)

Individual stats, are the last things the Caps fan cares about. Leafs fans are like Caps fans 10 years ago with a lot of young dynamic players, and fans cares more about points than win games

Look at Kessel, he was the star in Toronto, and he finish the 2015-16 season as a 3rd liner. I'm not saying he's not good, but teams have differents needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad