Confirmed with Link: [TOR/VGK] TOR acquire David Clarkson & a 2020 4th Round Pick from VGK for Garrett Sparks

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We didn't need to unload sparks. He could be sent to the minors with no cap hit.
Why waste a space when it could be used for an actual prospect? Sparks was done here, move on. And this shows what the rest of the league thinks about him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Isn't there a cap on how much can be on the LTIR. I'm going to need an in-depth explanation on why this actually makes sense. I know Clarkson is primarily covered by insurance.

Even if there is an LTIR limit this could potentially give us another million or two of LTIR space and we get an asset

May as well were already using LTIR anyway

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
i dont understand how taking clarkson’s contract is only worth a 4th round pick, especially considering you’d think sparks is worth a 5th or 6th.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Isn't there a cap on how much can be on the LTIR. I'm going to need an in-depth explanation on why this actually makes sense. I know Clarkson is primarily covered by insurance.

He actually may not be. IDK about that for sure. CBJ originally acquired him because he was useful, but then they dumped him. He could very well not be insured, which would explain why the Leafs would get him.

Kind of weird we only got a 4th in return, but it's free asset.

Good luck Sparks. He could challenge for the backup job there and now the Leafs only need to dump one more goalie. Neuvirth should be the Leafs' goalie now.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
So we bought a fourth for more LTIR, which we already have to use to sign Marner. Seems like a smart move with no drawbacks.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
This is obviously for some sort of cap maneuver rather than to just get a 4th... not sure what exactly but I’m sure Pridham and co know what they’re doing. LTIR is most beneficial when you’re as close to the cap as possible before triggering it. Maybe Clarksons cap hit brings them there, they trigger Horton’s LTIR and then Clarksons right after? Or trigger Horton, sign Marner, trigger Clarkson?

Really don’t know how it works but I’m sure there’s a reason for this.

EDIT - we found out a few years ago that you can use LTIR in the off-season when no other team had done so before. Could be another loophole in the CBA that they want to take advantage of?

Reactions: Pestilence

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
not really anything to complain about. it's the Leafs' money for a pick essentially. Plus Sparks is gone, which I'm sure everyone is okay with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad