Confirmed Trade: [TOR/VAN] Josh Leivo for Michael Carcone

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
While I agree with most of this I don’t agree that Vancouver “won” this trade. Until we see otherwise, Carcone is tracking to be roughly comparable to Leivo, except he’s younger and will be vying for the NHL roster in about 2-3 years, so effectively the Leafs just rewound the clock on a prospect that will probably peak at a 20 goal scoring 4th liner with upside.

fair enough... until Carcone suits up, i think Van won the trade... however, as previously stated, TO won PR

IF he ever suits up perhaps is the more appropriate way to frame this ......

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Good GMs don't do favors for players. Maybe our young GM is more concerned with being liked by the boys than helping his team win. That's not good.

Happens more then you think.
So Lou Lamoriello was never a good GM in your mind?

Or Brian Burke, Ray Shero, Jim Rutherford... I could go on and on.
UFAs want money and a chance to win. That's it. No UFA will care about leivo.
They want to know that the GM will have their back if things change, or they can't handle Toronto or whatever. If you think for one second that FAs don't take a lot more into consideration then just how much money they'll get or a "chance to win" then you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. Your right that they won't care about Leivo, but they will care about how the situation was handled.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
While I agree with most of this I don’t agree that Vancouver “won” this trade. Until we see otherwise, Carcone is tracking to be roughly comparable to Leivo, except he’s younger and will be vying for the NHL roster in about 2-3 years, so effectively the Leafs just rewound the clock on a prospect that will probably peak at a 20 goal scoring 4th liner with upside.
Lmao Carcone will never suit up, career AHLer trust me.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Leaf fan here. Dumb trade especially now that we have injury concerns in the bottom part of our line up. Leivo added some solid board play and size to our team which we sorely needed. I still don't understand it, especially for a guy that will likely never make the show.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Happy for Josh.

He deserved a shot to play. He wouldn't have got it here. Even with the injuries, there are players on the Marlies that surpassed him.

He reminds me a lot of Panik when he went to Chicago.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I don't believe this was really a trade per say. Leivo was made a promise by Dubas apparently to get a fair shake and Toronto just has so much depth upfront he wasn't gonna get a chance there. Hence he was moved to a more favorable chance in Vancouver for peanuts. Classy move by Dubas and as a Canucks fan thank you.

PS I'm sure Dubas called other GM's to get a better return but when he didn't find a suitable solution I'm assuming he then gave Vancouver the gift.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leaf fan here. Dumb trade especially now that we have injury concerns in the bottom part of our line up. Leivo added some solid board play and size to our team which we sorely needed. I still don't understand it, especially for a guy that will likely never make the show.

Moore is kinda replacing Ennis, and if Leivo wasn't traded, Moore would still in the minors.

Moore is potentially a Hall of Famer.:nod: One game and he got Gauthier a goal. Now that's takes so doing. PS I understand your frustration with the trade.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
An optimist sees a glass half full, a pessimist sees the glass half empty.

A realist sees a drink.

An opportunist takes it.

LOL. Cool.

I guess the moral in your story is that the Leafs/Dubas were "opportunists" and Carcone will have a solid NHL career?

Let's see how this plays out in time. Dubas should pick stocks too then in this case. He will be a billionaire in short time.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
I don't believe this was really a trade per say. Leivo was made a promise by Dubas apparently to get a fair shake and Toronto just has so much depth upfront he wasn't gonna get a chance there. Hence he was moved to a more favorable chance in Vancouver for peanuts. Classy move by Dubas and as a Canucks fan thank you.

PS I'm sure Dubas called other GM's to get a better return but when he didn't find a suitable solution I'm assuming he then gave Vancouver the gift.

It was reported Jim Benning called the morning of the trade and it was finalized shortly after.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
An optimist sees a glass half full, a pessimist sees the glass half empty.

A realist sees a drink.

An opportunist takes it.

Gary%2BLarson%2B-%2BFar%2BSide%2B-%2BFour%2Bpersonality%2Btypes.jpg

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
UFAs want money and a chance to win. That's it. No UFA will care about leivo.
Some also want to stay in a familiar location, be close to family, have amenities nearby (medical system, education for kids, etc). Some want a chance to play, or to rebuild their careers. Lots of reasons why some guys sign/re-sign wherever

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

We have about a million depth wingers that can play 10 minutes on the fourth line. Ennis’ injury is not that big of a deal.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not a good trade but this is 100% on Babcock. He just did not want to play him.
And it's not like any Leaf fan thought they could win this trade.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
as much as I liked Leivo, life in Toronto wasn't ideal and as much as I wish he was still a leaf I'm kinda happier he moved on to continue his career and have a much better chance of sticking in the big club. I wish him nothing but luck going forward. kinda weird to be okay with a possible 20-25 goal scorer going for next to nothing. I'm also not writing off Carcone. he might have some good untapped potential. but this trade is won by Vancouver.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
This is life in Leafland. A decent player who Babcock didn't really seem to care for is moved. Dubas claimed he was looking out for Leivo. Two injuries to Leaf forwards and now it's like we gave away the season. Chill. This trade has gotten more needless scrutiny than any move the Leafs have made in awhile.

What's gonna happen when Dubas makes a major move at the deadline? Half the people here won't even notice they'll still be focused on Josh freaking Leivo.....

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I'm also not writing off Carcone. he might have some good untapped potential. but this trade is won by Vancouver.

If only all fans could look at things from your perspective instead of tossing every player who is not lighting up the NHL every night on the scrap heap. Realistically, though, unless Carcone shows something in the second half of the season that he hasn’t shown before, he will be non-tendered when his ELC runs out at the end of the year. The writing was pretty much on the wall with his chances of ever making the Canucks lineup when he was the first player cut from training camp this year.

Reactions: Oley49

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad