Confirmed Trade: [TOR/VAN] Josh Leivo for Michael Carcone

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Ennis got hurt tonight and will be out for a while.

Can we please have Leivo back? We will give you Michael Carcone and s signed Mats Sundin jersey in return.....

Many thanks!!!

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Vancouver won this trade...

however, what TO did is a good reflection on upper management. Leivo is at minimum a good 4th line NHL calibre player.. who for whatever reason wasnt a fit. He was patient and GM brass rewarded him by sending him to a team that could use him..even if they lost the deal..

The fact they did this could weigh in on other young guys or UFA vets in the future.
Reputation is important.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

however, what TO did is a good reflection on upper management. Leivo is at minimum a good 4th line NHL calibre player.. who for whatever reason wasnt a fit. He was patient and GM brass rewarded him by sending him to a team that could use him..even if they lost the deal..

The fact they did this could weigh in on other young guys or UFA vets in the future.
Reputation is important.

8wYaQGFIEjlrig4lQ6kZVHoGb77hEltxtOk83W1DJqk.jpg

Reactions: Jozay

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Reputation is important.

While I agree with most of this I don’t agree that Vancouver “won” this trade. Until we see otherwise, Carcone is tracking to be roughly comparable to Leivo, except he’s younger and will be vying for the NHL roster in about 2-3 years, so effectively the Leafs just rewound the clock on a prospect that will probably peak at a 20 goal scoring 4th liner with upside.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
While I agree with most of this I don’t agree that Vancouver “won” this trade. Until we see otherwise, Carcone is tracking to be roughly comparable to Leivo, except he’s younger and will be vying for the NHL roster in about 2-3 years, so effectively the Leafs just rewound the clock on a prospect that will probably peak at a 20 goal scoring 4th liner with upside.
fair enough... until Carcone suits up, i think Van won the trade... however, as previously stated, TO won PR

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
fair enough... until Carcone suits up, i think Van won the trade... however, as previously stated, TO won PR
I don't think there is any question that Vancouver won the trade ( if that is even a real thing) The purpose of the trade was to get Levio to a place that he would play.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It was a trade to accommodate Levio. Our young GM showed his class by fulfilling a promise made to a player. Most Leaf fans are happy with the trade because it gives Levio a chance to play regularly. I am sure that no one believes that Dubas thought he was getting anymore than an expiering contract. Best of luck Josh.

Good GMs don't do favors for players. Maybe our young GM is more concerned with being liked by the boys than helping his team win. That's not good.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Good GMs don't do favors for players. Maybe our young GM is more concerned with being liked by the boys than helping his team win. That's not good.

That's a great way to get UFAs to avoid your team and have RFAs hardball them for every penny they can. Funny how Toronto went from "good GM" to "bad GM" the moment they realized their big 3 weren't thrilled about being viewed as disposable hockey robots and wouldn't sign the team friendly deals the organization thought it was entitled to.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That's a great way to get UFAs to avoid your team and have RFAs hardball them for every penny they can. Funny how Toronto went from "good GM" to "bad GM" the moment they realized their big 3 weren't thrilled about being viewed as disposable hockey robots and wouldn't sign the team friendly deals the organization thought it was entitled to.

UFAs want money and a chance to win. That's it. No UFA will care about leivo.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He's 22 and has never played in the NHL. The prediction that he'll probably score 20 goals is obviously unfounded.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
UFAs want money and a chance to win. That's it. No UFA will care about leivo.

Yeah clearly these guys with options about to sign many years of their life away don't care how their GM treats his players. They're just robots programmed to want 2 things (like going to a team that has yet to win a playoff series and has minimal cap space "to win and get paid"), beep boop.

Capitals lost out on cups because no Ufa worth his salt wanted to come within 10 miles of McPhee during Ovechkin and Backstrom's primes after he screwed over Nylander Sr. Babcock already has a reputation as a clueless favorite playing dbag, no need to exacerbate it throughout the entire organization

Last edited:

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Maybe 20 goals in the AHL..... I like your enthusiasm but after he was traded the local radio had the Comets radio guy on and he said he was unsure if he was ever going to crack an NHL roster on the regular but he could be great AHL center depth which is big if you want your team to be competitive for development of young prospects.

At the end of the day it was essentially a bottom 6 guy for an AHL center depth. Not like Leivo should be the be all end all difference for a cup contender anyways. Leivo has already been bumped down to 3rd line on the Canucks anyways.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Maybe 20 goals in the AHL..... I like your enthusiasm but after he was traded the local radio had the Comets radio guy on and he said he was unsure if he was ever going to crack an NHL roster on the regular but he could be great AHL center depth which is big if you want your team to be competitive for development of young prospects.

At the end of the day it was essentially a bottom 6 guy for an AHL center depth. Not like Leivo should be the be all end all difference for a cup contender anyways. Leivo has already been bumped down to 3rd line on the Canucks anyways.

Canucks cycle their wingers regularly. Horvat plays with any number of Motte, Schaller, Eriksson, Virtanen, Goldobin and Leivo every game, the only fwds who stick together are EP and Boeser, their third linemate is also juggled regularly however.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Direct insults do nothing to further a conversation. If you have nothing to add my advice is to steer clear of the thread so those of us who bring quality to the table can engage in civil discourse.

I would also advise that you read the rules of the site to avoid bans or warnings. Please consult a moderator if you need more info on these rules.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
We have a better looking signed Sundin jersey in our halls already. But thanks
Good retort. :)

I have no problem saying Vancouver won this trade, they got a sure fire NHLer and we got a maybe. It did work for us though in solving a log jam and giving a shot to a player who had been very patient but really was never going to be more than a spare part for us.

I'm happy for Leivo and I'm glad Canuck fans seem to be happy with him. I would have preferred a pick but this works for us. No regrets.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

Reputation is important.
Yeah, that sounds right. I don’t think Leivo will ever be top-6, but he could be at the top-end a solid third liner and at the very least looks like an NHL regular, and while I get why Toronto kept him on hand so long (injury depth) it did suck to see him wasting his prime years rotting in a press box because the Leafs didn’t have room for him but knew he wouldn’t clear waivers again.

There is only so long I think it was acceptable for Toronto to hold him off the ice and stunt his career, and yeah dragging on this pattern for another year or more would make them look like a crummy organization.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I got absolutely destroyed on reddit for saying Sosh will never become anything, and Connor Carrick will be a Euro star. Look at how things have turned out. This fan base falls in love with bums all the time.

Our other tendency is to package three of these lesser assets into a trade proposal for a good, top 4 defender. That hasn't worked out ever before either. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad