Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Travis Boyd signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K)

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
Plan the parade!
You never know...
Ld5pMGn.jpg

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Anyone from Washington able to describe him? Never heard of him before just now, but cant go wrong at 700k

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Great signing. Surprised that he'd sign for league minimum. He seems like the sort of player who could excel if given a bigger role than 4c.

Reactions: qqaz and 95snipes

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He's at best an injury replacement type player. The negative on him is he can easily be knocked off his feet. He just doesn't have good balance on his skates when opponents try to get physical with him in the offensive zone. He is also weak on back-checking as a center and play along the boards. Being a Caps fan I can tell you this first hand.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Boyd's your typical fringe NHL'er/13th forward. On most days, he should be on the bench. (Because, hopefully, you have a better player available.) On a good day, he can come off the bench and play on the fourth line and look like a competent NHL fourth-liner. On a great day, he can be a short-term injury replacement for someone on your third line; he won't contribute positively outside of the rare skill play, but he likely won't get embarrassed and/or scored on, either. Basically, he's consistently unnoticable, for better or worse. IMO, whenever he was on the ice for the Caps, I found myself wishing the team had a better player on the ice in his place.

But there's always the chance that, under a new system/coach and with new teammates, he might become a better player?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Boyd's your typical fringe NHL'er/13th forward. On most days, he should be on the bench. (Because, hopefully, you have a better player available.) On a good day, he can come off the bench and play on the fourth line and look like a competent NHL fourth-liner. On a great day, he can be a short-term injury replacement for someone on your third line; he won't contribute positively outside of the rare skill play, but he likely won't get embarrassed and/or scored on, either. Basically, he's consistently unnoticable, for better or worse. IMO, whenever he was on the ice for the Caps, I found myself wishing the team had a better player on the ice in his place.

But there's always the chance that, under a new system/coach and with new teammates, he might become a better player?
Boyd is not a 4th line type player. His skill set is better suited for the 3rd line. The problem is, overall he's just not equipped to be a regular NHL player.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Basically if he plays every night it will be a problem. If he plays occasionally he will do well

Liam Smith

May 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I’m happy for Boyd. Played a long time in Hershey for them and has been a more than serviceable injury replacement. He’s got great vision out there, and for a couple of games appeared to have some good chemistry with Ovi.
Seems like a good dude too.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Anyone from Washington able to describe him? Never heard of him before just now, but cant go wrong at 700k
Elite NHL playmaker with no defense, physicality or faceoff skill. Can dominate on your bottom6 or produce at 0.8 PPG pace on your top6 if other linemates can skate, shoot and cover his errors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad