Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] Leafs (retain $200k ?) trade Carl Gunnarsson and 94th pick for Roman Polak

Status
Not open for further replies.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Well it could very likely...liked him a lot, but love the Leafs, so onward and upward!

I liked Gunnar too, he wasn't great but sure wasn't terrible, a good middling pro. From what I've seen Polak is a average pro as well but with a somewhat different skill set that suits the Leafs better at this time. Carl will do well in STL likely playing easier minutes and I wish him well. Hopefully Polak can come in and play with one of the younger puck movers and allow them to wheel. Ideally a suitable partner can be brought in for Phaneuf.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Nonis actually mentioned post-trade that Polak would be able to make our defense tougher without relying on a young player like Granberg to fill that role as a rookie.

That indicates that we are probably gonna see Granberg on leafs this season. I am pumped already.

PK1: Gleason - Polak
PK2: Phaneuf - Granberg

PP1: Gardiner - Rielly
PP2: Phaneuf - forward

5v5
Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Polak
Gleason - Granberg
whatever

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
Why is Carl Gunnarsson suddenly appreciated on HF now? I never seen people call Gunnar a Top 4 Defenseman until today.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
Why is Carl Gunnarsson suddenly appreciated on HF now? I never seen people call Gunnar a Top 4 Defenseman until today.

It's a love fest on the main board for him; funny it only happens when a Leaf all of a sudden becomes an ex-Leaf.

As far as I'm concerned, player wise it's close to a lateral move. Both have the upper/lower hand on the other player in certain departments. Ideally with this D core, we would have added someone like Polak while keeping Gunnarsson. Based on what Nonis said, Gunnarsson enters St. Louis with what appears with some health concerns. The addition of a pick/retaining of salary is what tips the scales towards St. Louis's favor.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Lovely trade. Addresses area of weakness. I am thrilled I will never again have to see Gunnar on our top pairing. That has driven me nuts for years. No where near a top pairing guy. This pleases me on so any levels.

1) on the simplest level a R shot
2) this move can be made because we have younger, higher potential guys to play that spot. This is good.
3) a third pairing d has been replaced by a third pairing d that suits the role better
4) Gunnar's skill set was redundant at this point

None of this is to rag on Gunnar, tho long a target of mine, good luck to him. Not his fault he had to be placed on the top pairing where he didn't belong. Nor did he disgrace himself there or anything, to me he was just symbolic of our d depth deficiencies.

Welcome Polak.

Expecting Franson back now to..

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

I've heard from lots of Leaf fans that he's not a top pairing guy but I can't recall anyone saying he's not a top 4 guy. And it's Phaneuf who takes all the criticism, Gunnar got very little. The thing is he could play on a top pairing and do an alright job. I don't think this Polak guy can. So that is a downgrade in my opinion. I'm seeing all of this as symptoms of a larger problem though. David Nonis sucks. And I don't believe in treating the symptoms, go after the source of the virus.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
There's no f'ing way that Gunnarsson is a top 4 d-man on a Stanley Cup contender. So, whatever you guys want to say to make you sleep better tonight knowing that you can bash the Leafs brass for making this move, go ahead. Moving Gunnar for Polak is a solid move. You got two young offensively gifted defence-men, and you need a guy like Polak to give them room to maneuver.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There's no f'ing way that Gunnarsson is a top 4 d-man on a Stanley Cup contender. So, whatever you guys want to say to make you sleep better tonight knowing that you can bash the Leafs brass for making this move, go ahead. Moving Gunnar for Polak is a solid move. You got two young offensively gifted defence-men, and you need a guy like Polak to give them room to maneuver.

Well, Blues fans seems convinced they acquired him to play with Shattenkirk in their top four and I'd call St. Louis a contender, so...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Polak isn't a top 4 d-man on a contender.

He's a 3rd. pairing defender on a contender ... history shows that.

I'm quite okay with the deal.

I think Nonis rolled over, but I see how Polak can help.

Franson is garbage though.

Last edited:

Feenom

Jan 15, 2003
Spliffton
Visit site
I've heard from lots of Leaf fans that he's not a top pairing guy but I can't recall anyone saying he's not a top 4 guy. And it's Phaneuf who takes all the criticism, Gunnar got very little. The thing is he could play on a top pairing and do an alright job. I don't think this Polak guy can. So that is a downgrade in my opinion. I'm seeing all of this as symptoms of a larger problem though. David Nonis sucks. And I don't believe in treating the symptoms, go after the source of the virus.

yep its always pick on the Captain for the defensive zone lapses which happened all the time to all of the Dmen. Carlyle is to blame as well but I don't like that the Leafs added an extra pick and eat 200k. 1 for 1 was ok, Gunnar will benefit from this deal careerwise because now he will find out how a real team plays defense.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
Well, Blues fans seems convinced they acquired him to play with Shattenkirk in their top four and I'd call St. Louis a contender, so...

Blues were a contender this year, they will look much different at the beginning of next year. Though they could still be good, we'll have to wait and see

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
Polak isn't a top 4 d-man on a contender.

He's a 3rd. pairing defender on a contender ... history shows that.

Agreed, and Nonis claimed to have picked him up for a bottom pairing role, effectively making room on the top lines for Rielly and Gardiner. Those two deserve more minutes, here's to hoping they are ready for the big-time

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Well STL was the 3rd best defensive team last year in terms of goals against.

They must have made this move being a contender in hopes of improvement, otherwise it was very kind of them to downgrade their own team through this trade to help our Leafs out at their expense.

Gunnarsson was our best +/- player at +12 and in fact the only Leaf player in double digits playing on the top pairing most of the season on a team that finished 5th worst in goals against. Polak was only a +3 and 13th on the Blues on a team that was near the top of the league in defense.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
Well STL was the 3rd best defensive team last year in terms of goals against.

They must have made this move being a contender in hopes of improvement, otherwise it was very kind of them to downgrade their own team through this trade to help our Leafs out.

You have to think the consensus on the bargaining table was that Polak was the better player though? With the 3rd round draft pick going the other way you have to assume that Polak's value was higher on both sides of the table

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Lovely trade. Addresses area of weakness. I am thrilled I will never again have to see Gunnar on our top pairing. That has driven me nuts for years. No where near a top pairing guy. This pleases me on so any levels.

1) on the simplest level a R shot
2) this move can be made because we have younger, higher potential guys to play that spot. This is good.
3) a third pairing d has been replaced by a third pairing d that suits the role better
4) Gunnar's skill set was redundant at this point

None of this is to rag on Gunnar, tho long a target of mine, good luck to him. Not his fault he had to be placed on the top pairing where he didn't belong. Nor did he disgrace himself there or anything, to me he was just symbolic of our d depth deficiencies.

Welcome Polak.

Expecting Franson back now to..

While this is all a good point, the question becomes who will take Gunnar's spot? Surely Polak won't be relied on for top pairing.

Some will agree with you and say Rielly and Gardiner, but I don't think either is ready for that....

I'm sensing another move coming. Boyle? Yandle maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad