Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] Leafs (retain $200k ?) trade Carl Gunnarsson and 94th pick for Roman Polak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I have to wonder what this means for potential free agent targets.

Currently we have Gardiner, Rielly, and Gleason on the left side, and Phaneuf, Polak, and Franson or possibly Granberg on the right. I wonder if they will give Franson a contract, Granberg a spot, or go after a UFA.

Before my favourite target was Mark Fayne. I'd still consider him, but I'm not sure if he quite fits with the acquisition of Polak.

Of course they could still drop a bomb on it and trade Phaneuf. Not likely IMO, but it could happen.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
In the end it seems the Leafs are always replacing instead of adding to get better.
Polak is a good pickup but might have been better if we kept Gunnar as well.
Anyway let's see what you got Dion. Gunnar is gone and the debate of who made who can end.
Help make Gardiner better. It's no. 1 D time.

stumpythomas

Aug 1, 2009
Toronto
LOL at all the haters.

Defensive D-man from one of the best defensive teams in the league for a mediocre 2 way man who was relied on too often to clean up the back end.
He'll play in the bottom pair and anchor one of the PK units allowing Rielly or Gardiner to play in the top pair, hopefully Rielly.

Also, no retained salary in this deal, he makes $200,000 less than Gunnar.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

You don't like that? I think it's decent.

I would prefer to add Niskanen but it's most likely not going to happen, if it were though I'd like this:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Niskanen
Gleason - Polak

Gleason and Polak signed for two more years are place holders for the up and comers.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Not sure what everyone is so upset over with this trade. Toronto fans have been asking for more toughness to the team and someone with a right shot. Polak brings both these qualities. Could never understand the love for Gunnarsson who is nothing special.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

I would prefer to add Niskanen but it's most likely not going to happen, if it were though I'd like this:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Niskanen
Gleason - Polak

Gleason and Polak signed for two more years are place holders for the up and comers.

I think it would be:

Phaneuf - Niskanen
Gardiner - Polak
Gleason - Rielly
Granberg

stumpythomas

Aug 1, 2009
Toronto

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Niskanen
Gleason - Polak

I like this back end a lot.
Instead of Niskanen I'd say keep Franson and pair him with Polak or Gleason. Hopefully with fewer minutes and not having to pair up against top lines he can find his magic from seasons past when paired with Fraser in the same role.

Worth a shot.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I think it would be:

Phaneuf - Niskanen
Gardiner - Polak
Gleason - Rielly
Granberg

I wouldn't want Riles on the wrong side whereas Phaneuf has played there his whole career. I also am firm believer Gards is ready to be our #2 D-man. I want Riles to play with someone rock solid unlike last year when he had the revolving door of #6-7 D.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I don't hate this trade actually...just kinda miffed at us adding the pick and retaining some salary. We needed to make changes back there, I'm still expecting another one. Have to admit the imbalance of lh to rh d has been testing my ocd to the limits...now lets go Bogo to pair with Phaneuf next, Granberg in Franson out.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Left-handed shots, Rielly and Gardiner were both forced to play the right side often last season – nearly the entire season for the rookie – due to the rarity of right-handed defenders on the Toronto defence (Gardiner, specifically, struggled with the change and eventually had to move back to the left).

The addition of the 6-foot-1, 227-pound Polak will ease that glut and allow more options for Carlyle.

The Blues, who ranked third in the league defensively a year ago, employed Polak in shutdown capacities as well as on their second-ranked penalty kill. He was known in St. Louis as a fierce, physical competitor willing to play through injury. The 28-year-old, who has two years remaining on a five-year contract ($2.75 million cap hit), led the Blues defence in hits and finished second in blocked shots.

"He's a tough guy to play against," Nonis said of Polak, picked in the sixth round of 2004 Draft. "If you look at the minutes he plays he often plays against team's top players. He is very physical, he's very strong. I think there's a perception that because he's so big he's not mobile, I don't think that's true at all. We think that one of his strengths is his skating ability. He's going to provide a little bit of edge."

i can't believe how many of you are missing this :shakehead gunner by the end of next season would or should of been on the 3rd pairing. playing rielly and gards on the right side just so gunner can play on the right isn't fair to them. at some point something has to give and that's probably why we kept hearing gardiner trade rumors. it also allows franson to be traded or sent down the lineup to 3rd pairing. it also allows the leafs to deploy 2 pairings against all the top lines reliably instead of wearing out 1 pairing.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't really like the concept of giving up Gunnar for Polak but the fact we also gave up a pick and retained salary is flat out scary.

Please fire Nonis before he fully train wrecks this team...

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I wouldn't want Riles on the wrong side whereas Phaneuf has played there his whole career. I also am firm believer Gards is ready to be our #2 D-man. I want Riles to play with someone rock solid unlike last year when he had the revolving door of #6-7 D.

If we were to sign Niskanen (long shot), he'd have to be in the 1st pairing to justify the money he's gonna get...that bumps Gardiner down to the 2nd where I think it's the ideal spot for him this coming season...he can always step it up and earn that #2 slot.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
Maybe they are going to get Polak to teach the Blues' defensive system to the Leafs...

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I don't hate this trade actually...just kinda miffed at us adding the pick and retaining some salary. We needed to make changes back there, I'm still expecting another one. Have to admit the imbalance of lh to rh d has been testing my ocd to the limits...now lets go Bogo to pair with Phaneuf next, Granberg in Franson out.

I feel the same way, I just find it kinda irritating that in a lot of deals Nonis seems to be the guy always adding something or retaining a piece of cap. Getting Bogo would be great, but I assume the Jets would be looking for a fairly hefty return, there would have to be something big added to Franson, would be a real tough deal for the Leafs to make.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
He'll be gone too, don't you worry

Not so sure anymore. They might keep him on the bottom pairing for his right handedness.

To me, the moving of our stop-gap top pairing guy in Gunnarsson should either signify the upcoming acquisition of a top pairing guy, or that management has faith in Gardiner/Rielly to take the spot as early as next year.

...or that we are blowing everything up and trading Phaneuf. ;)

We'll see I guess. If we end up with Polak on the top pairing, things will be ugly (uglier). :laugh:

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
Great trade. Gunnersson regressed badly last year. Polak is tough, can skate and is shut down guy.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
I'm a little torn on this trade. I like Gunnar and think he's the better d-man but Polak fits the team better bring a shut down RHD. I think he'll be an average #4 dman with Gardiner

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It's really easy to see who watches other teams play.
Well said.

Blues fan here - you guys talking smack about this trade are going to be in-love with Polak come the middle of October.
I agree. He's a physical, steady, and a beast in front of the net. While I see him more of a mid-pairing solution, he has impressive stability and I can see someone like that helping us a lot on the defensive end.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We need to move Gardiner up the lineup. Can't keep sheltering him forever. I am happy that he will be taking over the 1LD (as of right now anyway).

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak

If Gardiner and Rielly continue to get better, this will be a very good top 4 D. I personally think Polak is the perfect D partner for Rielly, and will be a better fit than Gunnar would have been.

Sucks to see Gunnar go, liked the guy, but I think people will realize this was a positive change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad