Proposal: [TOR/STL] Blockbuster

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
When did pie request a trade, have tons of drana around him, and basically say he didnt want to stay in st louis?

that being said, the ask may be a tad high, but dont act like Karlsson sets the market, just like Hall/Larsson doesnt.

I've trade stating this in the previous 40 threads this week and it always seems to get overlooked.

Reactions: Starat327

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
what did Karlsson get traded for? not a 22 year old 60 point winger, a teams top prospect, and a 1st round pick.
Just because Ottawa's GM is inept and was put in a bad position by a terrible owner that wouldn't pay EK65, doesn't mean all GM's will make the same mistake. EK made it known he wanted top dollar on his next contract and Ottawa let him know that they wouldn't be paying it, so the situations aren't similar at all.

If you don't want to pay what an elite 1D that has given no indication that he wants to leave St.Louis costs, then set your sights lower.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Funny that people can't get over the fact that Petro has not either requested a trade or made it known that he won't sign a new contract with the Blues so there is zero reason he would be on the trade market in the first place.
The whole premise of these threads have been the speculation in the media that the blues may move him in a retooling type trade.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Willing to move is not the same as asking to be moved.
Was it confirmed that either Mcdonagh or EK requested a trade? Because i dont think they did and their value was way below the asking prices in here.

Regardless, Pietrangelo just doesnt return a package of Nylander + Lily + 1st. He will be a 30 year old UFA in a year and a half.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The OP's proposal is needlessly complicated. No reason for the Blues to move Schenn, and Toronto doesn't need him. And the GM apparently told Nylander that he won't be traded, so that makes this look pretty impossible as is.

However, if you take out Schenn and Nylander, you are probably looking at what it would take to land Pietrangelo. The dude is a the exact player Toronto needs. 2-way, right handed, can skate, and has size. Seriously, he would be perfect on Toronto.

Starting the talks at 2019 1st and Sandin makes sense. I'm sure some on both sides would hate it, and I'm not sure if the Blues are ready to liquidate a good player. But that's a starting point in talks in my opinion.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
...Starting the talks at 2019 1st and Sandin makes sense. I'm sure some on both sides would hate it, and I'm not sure if the Blues are ready to liquidate a good player. But that's a starting point in talks in my opinion.
A 1st and a prospect is TDL value, and pretty thin value for a player of Petro's caliber. The Blues are unlikely to deal him unless he's given some indication to management of a reluctance to re-sign in July. If we assume that to be the case, then you're likely adding another pick to get the deal to TDL value, then adding something else pretty nice to get an additional 100 (or so) games out of him before the 2020 TDL when he could be truly classified as a TDL rental.

Any deal for Pietrangelo, whether it is just him or with other pieces, is going to cost something you're not likely to want to give up. Fixing the 1RD hole in the Leafs roster will put their 2019 1st in the 25-31 OA range. That is not going to be the most valuable asset in a deal to get arguably a league Top 15 defenseman, especially a righty.

Reactions: Snowman and zaqq

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Was it confirmed that either Mcdonagh or EK requested a trade? Because i dont think they did and their value was way below the asking prices in here.

Regardless, Pietrangelo just doesnt return a package of Nylander + Lily + 1st. He will be a 30 year old UFA in a year and a half.

I dont think anyone was able to fully confirm it, but there were several reports that he had requested a trade. Regardless, He basically said he wasnt going to sign when he said he wasnt going to take a cheap deal, knowing Ottawas owner wasnt going to pay up. Then there's the whole drama thing with Hoffman and his fiance.

The writing was on the wall that Karlsson was on his way out, one only needed to read it. That isnt the case with Pie at all. Theres been no family drama, St. Louis would have no problems affording him, and there havent been any rumors of him wanting out, just that the Blues may move him. Just like 2 weeks ago the leafs 'may' have moved Nylander.

As i said, the ask of Nylander +Lil +1st may have been off by a bit, not as egrigiously so as people are taking it in here. The Leafs first doesnt carry a lot of values - and even less so if they acquire Pie.

Reactions: Snowman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Pietrangelo with his current contract status is not going to bring back a bluechip asset like Nylander, no matter what team is involved.

It’ll be for a package of lesser prospects and picks, just like every other vet D man has returned in recent years

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I dont think anyone was able to fully confirm it, but there were several reports that he had requested a trade. Regardless, He basically said he wasnt going to sign when he said he wasnt going to take a cheap deal, knowing Ottawas owner wasnt going to pay up. Then there's the whole drama thing with Hoffman and his fiance.

The writing was on the wall that Karlsson was on his way out, one only needed to read it. That isnt the case with Pie at all. Theres been no family drama, St. Louis would have no problems affording him, and there havent been any rumors of him wanting out, just that the Blues may move him. Just like 2 weeks ago the leafs 'may' have moved Nylander.

As i said, the ask of Nylander +Lil +1st may have been off by a bit, not as egrigiously so as people are taking it in here. The Leafs first doesnt carry a lot of values - and even less so if they acquire Pie.
Ya I mean after Hoffman was traded for peanuts I thought they might have gotten EK tied down. If they didnt want to pay him double digits like his resume dictated then that isnt him requesting a trade really.

The leafs likely wouldnt be able to resign Pietrangelo in 1.5 years and regardless there is no guanrteeed he would even sign with any of the teams that trade for him as the teams cant negotiate his next contract yet.

I think Toronto management would rather wait and try and sign Pietrangelo when he is a UFA and they know his demands rather than give up long cost controlled assets like Nylander, Lily etc.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Pietrangelo with his current contract status is not going to bring back a bluechip asset like Nylander, no matter what team is involved.

It’ll be for a package of lesser prospects and picks, just like every other vet D man has returned in recent years
I can see the reluctance on StL's part being that the team could jump back to contention last year, their roster isn't Ottawa's to be sure, but agree that if Karlsson isn't landing an early 20's first line player with upside that the template for Pietrangelo likely doesn't include one either. Personally I think the likelihood of him being dealt this year is low, but goes way up if StL stumbles out of the gate next year. I also think he's pretty ideal for Toronto, such a smart player and would let Rielly join the rush a lot more

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
That's weird, I legitimately took that take from the St. Louis board.

The inmates are sort of running the asylum as our board is melting down. People are throwing blame around for stupid things and creating totally fictitious narratives to justify this season. Petro may be regressing, but as he just had triplets and coaching has been a dumpster fire, it is more likely a slow start. But its easier to say he sucks and want to dump him than actually analyze what is wrong with the team. No intelligent fan wants to trade Petro unless he indtacates he will not re-sign. Then we want a monster return.

There should be an embargo on trading Nylander on these boards for at least a year, based on what we know about Dubas' promise.

Johnsson, Zaitsev (25% retained x 5 years), 1st 2019, 2nd 2020 for Pietrangelo (25% retained x 2 years).

There should be an embargo on you posting....anything at all, based on that horrendous proposal. Zaitsev + Johnson equals future consideration, maybe a mid round pick, but not Pietrangelo. Zaitsev for 5 years at any salary is a negative-value asset. Johnsson is a good prospect but not something you trade a top pairing D to acquire. Johnsson alone doesn't move the needle and Zaitsev would push a good offer back to a no.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Or the Blues can just keep him and get him re-signed. I like that plan better than Parayko, Schmaltz and Bortuzzo as the RD.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ya I mean after Hoffman was traded for peanuts I thought they might have gotten EK tied down. If they didnt want to pay him double digits like his resume dictated then that isnt him requesting a trade really.

The leafs likely wouldnt be able to resign Pietrangelo in 1.5 years and regardless there is no guanrteeed he would even sign with any of the teams that trade for him as the teams cant negotiate his next contract yet.

I think Toronto management would rather wait and try and sign Pietrangelo when he is a UFA and they know his demands rather than give up long cost controlled assets like Nylander, Lily etc.

If EK goes into Melnyks office and says " i want 13 million a year", hes basically requesting a trade, because he knows Ottawa isnt paying that. Just because he doesnt say "I wont re-sign in Ottawa" doesnt mean he doesnt want to be there. Sometimes you can say something without actually saying it.

And that may be the case with Toronto, but that doesnt mean the Blues should accept less just because it doesnt fit the Leafs current plan.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If EK goes into Melnyks office and says " i want 13 million a year", hes basically requesting a trade, because he knows Ottawa isnt paying that. Just because he doesnt say "I wont re-sign in Ottawa" doesnt mean he doesnt want to be there. Sometimes you can say something without actually saying it.

And that may be the case with Toronto, but that doesnt mean the Blues should accept less just because it doesnt fit the Leafs current plan.
A player requesting a trade and a team not willing to pay a player market value (10+ million) are not the same thing and effect the players value differently.

I would like to see if there is any team in the NHL willing to offer up a comparable package to Nylander + Lily + 1st for 1.5 years of Pietrangelo.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
A 1st and a prospect is TDL value, and pretty thin value for a player of Petro's caliber. The Blues are unlikely to deal him unless he's given some indication to management of a reluctance to re-sign in July. If we assume that to be the case, then you're likely adding another pick to get the deal to TDL value, then adding something else pretty nice to get an additional 100 (or so) games out of him before the 2020 TDL when he could be truly classified as a TDL rental.

Any deal for Pietrangelo, whether it is just him or with other pieces, is going to cost something you're not likely to want to give up. Fixing the 1RD hole in the Leafs roster will put their 2019 1st in the 25-31 OA range. That is not going to be the most valuable asset in a deal to get arguably a league Top 15 defenseman, especially a righty.

Oh, sure. I agree with all that. I'm just saying as a starting point. I'm not trying to convince any Blues fans that this is the deal of the century, or that no one else could top it. I'm not even sure it's the right move for them to trade Pietrangelo at all, regardless of the return.

But 2 first rounders isn't a bad return. I'd say it's more than your average TDL price. More than Shattenkirk got from Washington. More than Paul Stastny got from Winnipeg. More than Evander Kane got from San Jose. It's pretty much what another top pairing guy, McDonagh, got from Tampa Bay (if you assume Namestnikov and Miller cancel eachother out at the time).

There's arguments to be made, for sure. None of those examples are perfectly match Pietrangelo, I know that. Like I said, it's a starting point. Maybe the Blues would prefer a roster player from another team instead of a pick and prospect from Toronto. Who knows? But Liljigren or Sandin are definately pieces Toronto fans won't want to give up. Paired with a 1st rounder is nothing to sneeze at.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
@EastonBlues22 as a loyal minion I have request that for the sanity of all Blues fans that we get a 1 month break from all Pietrangelo threads on the main boards and all such threads receive an immediate lock.

PZR5q2.gif

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

I would like to see if there is any team in the NHL willing to offer up a comparable package to Nylander + Lily + 1st for 1.5 years of Pietrangelo.

How many Blues fans are demanding that, though. When people said to take out Schenn from the original proposal, I think most knew the return would adjust to compensate. No?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
There should be an embargo on you posting....anything at all, based on that horrendous proposal. Zaitsev + Johnson equals future consideration, maybe a mid round pick, but not Pietrangelo. Zaitsev for 5 years at any salary is a negative-value asset. Johnsson is a good prospect but not something you trade a top pairing D to acquire. Johnsson alone doesn't move the needle and Zaitsev would push a good offer back to a no.

Well this was unkind.

I suppose the 1st and 2nd went ignored?

The deal can't work if you don't take back salary. Leafs add another prospect if Zaitsev is too much of a negative-value asset.

You can't expect the moon based on the Karlsson/McDonagh deals.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
How many Blues fans are demanding that, though. When people said to take out Schenn from the original proposal, I think most knew the return would adjust to compensate. No?
Take a read through a few more pages as well as the other Pietrangelo thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad