Confirmed with Link: (TOR/SJS) James Reimer + Jeremy Morin for Alex Stalock + Ben Smith + Cond. 4th 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
It shouldn't be surprising that he's playing well in SJ - he's always been an above average goalie.

But he clearly wasn't in management's long term plans so I'm glad they got a (minor) asset in return. He always seems like a nice guy so I wish him all the best with the Sharks.

The Leafs long term plans can't include picking up a starter off free agency?

In case you haven't noticed, they're in need of one.

As I've been saying, Reimer is likely the best option available to us.

Lou is not of the same mind as some irrational fans. Trading Reimer surely does mean Lou was keeping his options open, but it certainly does not indicate that he was closing the door (he indicated as much).

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

Lou is not of the same mind as some irrational fans. Trading Reimer surely does mean Lou was keeping his options open, but it certainly does not indicate that he was closing the door (he indicated as much).

Yep. Its also the only trade where he indicated as much.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A stop gap for who?

Sparks or whomever young goalie the Leafs trade for.

They don't need to get a starter signed long term, unless they KNOW he's going to be their guy.

I like Reimer, but I don't like the idea of paying any goalie more than 5 million next year.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I think he's going to want 4+ years at 5+ million, which is too rich and long for my blood.

I'd prefer Cam Ward on a 1-2 year deal if they can get him as a stop gap.

I hate to say this but at this stage Cam Ward is hardly even an upgrade on Bernier.

I'm not sure a lateral move makes much sense considering the potential lack of a market for Bernier anyway.

I think Lou keeps Bernier unless a real upgrade is in play; whether that be via trade, or Reimer as a UFA.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Sparks or whomever young goalie the Leafs trade for.

They don't need to get a starter signed long term, unless they KNOW he's going to be their guy.

I like Reimer, but I don't like the idea of paying any goalie more than 5 million next year.

Which goalies do you actually "know" will be your starter long-term though? I would dare to bet that you could count those guys on one hand and that they wouldn't be available.

It's really a matter of acquiring a guy that gives you a good chance. There are no certainties on the market.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he's going to want 4+ years at 5+ million, which is too rich and long for my blood.

I'd prefer Cam Ward on a 1-2 year deal if they can get him as a stop gap.

Neither Ward nor Reimer are the answer here.

I think they will just continue with stop gaps until they find the right Goalie.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I hate to say this but at this stage Cam Ward is hardly even an upgrade on Bernier.

I'm not sure a lateral move makes much sense considering the potential lack of a market for Bernier anyway.

I think Lou keeps Bernier unless a real upgrade is in play; whether that be via trade, or Reimer as a UFA.

Bernier is the other possibility to just swap starts with Sparks - but I really think Babcock doesn't like Bernier one bit. I think he'll be sold for nothing over the summer if they find a buyer that is.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Bernier is the other possibility to just swap starts with Sparks - but I really think Babcock doesn't like Bernier one bit. I think he'll be sold for nothing over the summer if they find a buyer that is.

With just one year remaining on Bernier's contract, it won't be hard to bury or buy him out if they can't find a trading partner and it comes to that.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

Could be. But again, signing Ward or another similar-ability UFA would be contingent on unloading (or determining to waive) Bernier prior to the start of next season, which I suppose is entirely possible.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
maybe part of Lou's grand scheme was to see how well Reimer played on a better team.

There is certainly that possibility, although a small but persistent group of posters on here would assure you that they know exactly what Lou is doing and he is not "stupid" enough to have interest in bringing Reimer back.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
With just one year remaining on Bernier's contract, it won't be hard to bury or buy him out if they can't find a trading partner and it comes to that.

If the Leafs want to move Bernier, but can't make a deal in the summer, I think they'll keep him and hope that he can play well enough to generate some interest at the TDL next year on an expiring contract, much like they did with Reimer this season.

Any goalie we bring in as a UFA during the summer will be a short-term solution while looking for a future starter. Seeing as Bernier has 1 year left on his contract, you might as well consider him to be the same thing.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
If the Leafs want to move Bernier, but can't make a deal in the summer, I think they'll keep him and hope that he can play well enough to generate some interest at the TDL next year on an expiring contract, much like they did with Reimer this season.

Any goalie we bring in as a UFA during the summer will be a short-term solution while looking for a future starter. Seeing as Bernier has 1 year left on his contract, you might as well consider him to be the same thing.

I think Shannyco will continue to keep their cards close to their chest and in the meantime its fun to speculate.

In truth, none of have the answer.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

They aren't running a Sparks and Bibeau/Armalis tandem. At least Bernier has played over 50 games in a season before, and save for a bad stretch of about 45 games has been a good to very good goalie for his entire career.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

If the Leafs are actually going after Armalis, then the door is already firmly shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad