Confirmed with Link: (TOR/SJS) James Reimer + Jeremy Morin for Alex Stalock + Ben Smith + Cond. 4th 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
no you were stating that jones / reimer were playing against different classes of games. he responded that they both played against Arizona.

yes, they are certainly playing Jones more. 6 starts versus 4 starts for Reimer. But so what?

it's also harder to play against "technically" weaker opponents this time of year. Look at the leafs success.

I just don't get this .. why can't just some say .. yes, he's played very well for SJS .. and ****..

it's like some have a personal vendetta against Reimer for some reason.

looking technically good - really doesn't mean a steaming pile of dog..

some can't admit he's playing well because he isn't a Leaf anymore , while others are just die hard Bernier supporters and feel the need to slag him to make there guy look better

on the Leafs board , looking good to many means more than actually being good

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
no you were stating that jones / reimer were playing against different classes of games. he responded that they both played against Arizona.

yes, they are certainly playing Jones more. 6 starts versus 4 starts for Reimer. But so what?

it's also harder to play against "technically" weaker opponents this time of year. Look at the leafs success.

I just don't get this .. why can't just some say .. yes, he's played very well for SJS .. and ****..

it's like some have a personal vendetta against Reimer for some reason.

looking technically good - really doesn't mean a steaming pile of dog..
I have no issue saying reimer is playing well. On the other threads about reimer I have supported his turn around this year with glee.
I have aso said in this thread after reims 2nd game that he is doing well in sj.
I was responding to the poster saying reimer was better than jones, thats it. I've watched most of sj games this season and jones is borderline elite, only time will tell if he is, but he is having an outstanding season on an aging sharks team.
I am not a reimer hater, never been, just calling it as I see it.
And as for technically good meaning squat, I'm pretty sure it means something to lou as his historically good goalie and the replacement goalie he aquired to replace said goalie are all technically good goalies.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
i hope Reimer is the last good player that we get rid of for nothing based on some weird unseen fake calculation of his ability to contribute on a hypothetical future Leafs team

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
"technically good"

Why do you have trouble with that catch phrase?
And before you answer kow that I don't give a rats tuccas how someone stops the puck, but I do think that a 'technically' sound goalie that stops the puck as well as a non technical guy will influence the game more and probably win more too. It is a generalization but I think lou agrees based on his goalie choices.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
i hope Reimer is the last good player that we get rid of for nothing based on some weird unseen fake calculation of his ability to contribute on a hypothetical future Leafs team

I hope we re-sign Reimer in the off-season and Bernier plays out his 1-year as back-up, to be replaced by Sparks in the 2017-18 season.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
My trouble is that it is a meaningless oversimplification.

That is a fair evaluation and I do use it to simplify my argument, but it has meaning to me in the context that I percieve.
I try to use is a part of a justification and not a means of its own.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't even trust ex-NHL goalies' evaluations of other goalies' techniques.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's because none of them have ever shown the ability to be able to predict goalie success. Quite the opposite.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Many, many GMs have doomed themselves by having too much faith in their evaluation of "technique" over results.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
some can't admit he's playing well because he isn't a Leaf anymore , while others are just die hard Bernier supporters and feel the need to slag him to make there guy look better

on the Leafs board , looking good to many means more than actually being good

This has happened on the past from both sides. Don't pretend like it hasn't. That being said, since the trade Bernier has been really good himself. Without a contract for next season, Reimer was likely the wiser choice for a trade.

AJRAYMOND

Jun 13, 2009
Canada
This is what happens when you play in front of a real hockey team. One of these years Leaf fans will realize it's not the goaltending. Good for James. :handclap:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This has happened on the past from both sides. Don't pretend like it hasn't. That being said, since the trade Bernier has been really good himself. Without a contract for next season, Reimer was likely the wiser choice for a trade.

Bernier has played better but the D has also upped it's play . So nice to see every D engaged in the play instead of watching Phatard standing at the top of the crease while we're trapped in our end waiting until someone gets close enough to the net to engage in the play .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bernier has played better but the D has also upped it's play . So nice to see every D engaged in the play instead of watching Phatard standing at the top of the crease while we're trapped in our end waiting until someone gets close enough to the net to engage in the play .

Perhaps Bernier had trouble handling the competition, and now he's competing with a minor leaguer. When he came to the Leafs he was brought in to be the starter, and then once Reimer got his game going again Bernier spit the bit.

In LA he was back-up to top end goalie, and he knew he was never going to be a starter there. Again, zero pressure.

Additionally, right now there is no pressure in Toronto, the season has been over for quite some time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It shouldn't be surprising that he's playing well in SJ - he's always been an above average goalie.

But he clearly wasn't in management's long term plans so I'm glad they got a (minor) asset in return. He always seems like a nice guy so I wish him all the best with the Sharks.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
It shouldn't be surprising that he's playing well in SJ - he's always been an above average goalie.

But he clearly wasn't in management's long term plans so I'm glad they got a (minor) asset in return. He always seems like a nice guy so I wish him all the best with the Sharks.

The Leafs long term plans can't include picking up a starter off free agency?

In case you haven't noticed, they're in need of one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs long term plans can't include picking up a starter off free agency?

In case you haven't noticed, they're in need of one.

I think he's going to want 4+ years at 5+ million, which is too rich and long for my blood.

I'd prefer Cam Ward on a 1-2 year deal if they can get him as a stop gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad