Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension, 11.634M AAV, 93% Paid In Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Over five years, we overpaid. This needed to be a lower dollar, to help with the cap, but it's definitely going to make things tight.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So judging by reaction on here, they should have just traded Matthews, and might as well trade Marner, because people are gonna flip about that one too.
Know what another option is? For our management team to give out good contracts, like all the other gm’s seem to do.

Reactions: Leafling

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Welcome to the new NHL.

This will definitely be a controversial signing (I don’t think folks should LOVE it), I just think this is where the league is going in terms of contracts.

Agents know star RFAs are a golden goose and are going to seek to exploit that to their fullest advantage. People I think are kidding themselves if they think anybody else would have gotten a considerably better/differently structured deal

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Dubas is so overrated. If we don't win the cup in the next 5 years then we are doomed

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I can't believe some people are just sheepishly accepting this garbage.

I dont like the deal, but realistically what are the other options?

Trade him? People will flip
Let him hold out? People will flip

Like it or not, the player has all the power in these negotiations.

Reactions: canadon

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Don't need to worry about allocating cap aav to buy out UFA years if you build the team and culture around him to have no reason to leave. They've now got a few extra mil to pay the supporting cast.

He is done. That's whats important. Mitch.. You're up.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So we're basically left hoping that Matthews becomes Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin tier level player to justify this deal.

Wow.

Reactions: Vesperia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad