Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension, 11.634M AAV, 93% Paid In Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
What have you seen that gives you the confidence we can beat Tampa and/or Boston in the playoffs? We're paying way more than them for our talent...AND our talent is probably inferior.
We've dominated Tampa in 2 games this season and are 1 and 1. You see how muzzin handled perry and guentzel? What do you think he'll do to marchand? If you dont believe that this team can win. Gtfo scab

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Dont care how much they pay the players. I want a cup. End of story. And I think this team with the addition of muzzin can do it within the next 5 years. I have a feeling he'll sign marner to 8. Stagger out the contracts.
Not when you have to shed players like kappy, johnsson, gardiner next year because you can't afford them. Because you know Marner will fleece dubas

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Dubas is ****ing up everything. He failed on the Nylander contact and just ate **** on the Matthews contract. He just let Matthews walk free at 26 years old!!!!! Unreal.

#firedubas

Doubt very much Mathews will leave in 5 years. Leafs will have won 3 Stanley Cups by then. He will resign with the Buds for mega bucks.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Tavares signed for less money over 2 more years and had the complete leverage of being a UFA, and a longer track record of health and performance.
why is it good that the Leafs have Tavares from age 32-34 at 11 million? he probably won't be worth it at that point. Also, paying for track record isn't as good as paying for what a player will bring over the course of their contract

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Everyone in Tampa can take a little less period because at the end of the day there take home earnings is a lot higher than in a higher tax state/province, ie. Stamko's contract in Toronto would be equivalent to 12.4M (link). It's simple math and logic, no one is leaving money on the table.

Market value is determine by the agent and GM, personally I don't think Eichel is in Matthews league.
I'm pretty sure 30/30 GMs in the league that isn't Buffalo would not trade Matthews for Eichel straight up.

If you think that Matthews is in Eichel's league and should have the same market value than sure, market value for Matthews is skewed.

Overall, my point is i don't expect any of the core guys to take home town discounts to be leafs, i didn't expect it from willy, i don't expect it from Matthews and I dont' expect it from Marner. Just to tether expectations.

okay. so what about Chicago?
chicago isn't a no-tax state, and they had very favourable deals.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tavares signed for less money over 2 more years despite having the complete leverage of being a UFA, and a longer track record of health and performance.

but Matthews is already better than Tavares, and we're signing him for all his young prime years, while we signed Tavares for his decline years.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It would be nice if our players realize how lucky they are to get all these signing bonuses up front, plus a good salary at the same time, and maybe give us a god damn break on the next contract.

It's funny, because agents say "well we gave the team a discount already" and they ask for the moon, but it never works the other way, ungrateful athletes.

Funny part is if they were not athletes, they wouldn't have the education to manage a Macdonalds lol

They should be a little more humble

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Dubas seems to be too much of a players GM. Like the guy is bro hugging players, like he's one of the boys. I thought it might be to our advantage, but maybe it makes him less likely to hold a firm line and piss off his buddies.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
People are also acting here like Matthews didn't leave money on the table. He totally did. Don't forget, contracts in the NHL are guaranteed. What if Matthews has a career ending injury in season 4 of his deal? He loses out on what he could have demanded, which would likely amount to an extra 40 million dollars. You guys act like the ownership has all the power here. The players have all the power, because the players are the product.

It sound like some of you would have rather had us trade him in the offseason then sign him. A guy who could possibly be the best Maple Leaf of all time. This guy is about to score his 1ooth goal by the age of 21 in less than 200 games played. Most of you don't realize how many years some of us have been waiting for a player like this to put on the jersey. You don't pass up on greatness, especially for some bullshit like pride, or worse, some nickel and dime nonsense. People in this world achieve greatness by taking risks. Stubbornness is one of the worst qualities for anyone wanting to excel in life.

Reactions: CincoHolio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad