Confirmed with Link: TOR sign Filip Kral & Kristians Rubins to ELC’s

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rubins is a big defender who has gotten a lot of praise with how he’s done with the Marlies.

Filip Kral is highly touted by some. But a nice prospect out of the WHL. Nothing flashy, but solid two way game

Reactions: Rogue Leader

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not bad, let's see what these guys have. I'm higher on Kral than a lot of guys here, but at the very least it gives the Marlies some bottom of the lineup LD options for next year should a guy like Kivihalme not return.

Rubins earned a look anyways. Much like Marchment you hope he can find another level, if he doesn't then oh well.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Hey! I predicted the Rubins' ELC! Big guy with ever improving mobility. Modest offensive skill. Keefe seemed to like him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wonder where Kral plays next season?

We have plenty of options, Europe, ECHL, AHL and I think he can go back to Junior (I'm not positive on that though)

Reactions: stickty111

Pholus

May 23, 2014

We have plenty of options, Europe, ECHL, AHL and I think he can go back to Junior (I'm not positive on that though)

Nope, he just finished his overage year. He's turning pro, the only question will be where. It's not like there's a lot of LD prospects blocking him from time on the Marlies, although the Leafs haven't been shy about starting guys in the ECHL.

Reactions: stickty111 and Kiwi

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Great news. Kral certainly deserved it. Rubins is odd as he wasn't great but organization certainly thought he was so I might be missing something.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

There was a rumor he was heading overseas yesterday which indicated he won't be signed, but he is now so should be interesting. For selfish reasons I would like him with the Marlies. I admit I'm a huge fan of Kral though.
Surprised about Rubins but thats why I don't make judgements for the team lol

Reactions: Kiwi

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'm loving we got a good solid defensive minded D man in the pipes hope he can transition that game into the AHL good luck kral

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would have waited one more year on Rubins personally (like Elynuik), but he was good enough to be a trusted rotation guy in a bottom pairing role in the AHL as a 22 year old and was definitely the most likely AHL contract player to receive an ELC based on his play last year. Definitely not a stretch, but I doubt he turns into anything more than another Marincin.

Should form a good rotation with Kral on the Marlies for next year. Not many better options out there for an ELC with Pasichnuk gone now, and there are a number of other CHL/NCAA UFA's they can look at on AHL deals to provide insurance and ECHL depth. The Marlies always do that every year though so that should not come as any kind of surprise.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There was a rumor he was heading overseas yesterday which indicated he won't be signed, but he is now so should be interesting. For selfish reasons I would like him with the Marlies. I admit I'm a huge fan of Kral though.
Surprised about Rubins but thats why I don't make judgements for the team lol

I watch a lot of Marlies games and I can't say I'd be lining up to give Rubins an ELC, but what do I know? :laugh:

What do we have on the LD with the Marlies next season? marincin, Rubins, Rosen, maybe Sandin but I doubt it, maybe one of those other 3 as the Press Box defenseman?

We should have a 3rd pair role for Kral if he's ready for it, our RD are pretty young though, I'm not sure Duszak would be a great partner for him straight off the bat :laugh:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I watch a lot of Marlies games and I can't say I'd be lining up to give Rubins an ELC, but what do I know? :laugh:

What do we have on the LD with the Marlies next season? marincin, Rubins, Rosen, maybe Sandin but I doubt it, maybe one of those other 3 as the Press Box defenseman?

We should have a 3rd pair role for Kral if he's ready for it, our RD are pretty young though, I'm not sure Duszak would be a great partner for him straight off the bat :laugh:
I have to think Marlies will sign a vet defencemen. Either way, Marlies will have another young defence this season.

Reactions: Kiwi

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Great news. Kral certainly deserved it. Rubins is odd as he wasn't great but organization certainly thought he was so I might be missing something.

Rubins was actually pretty good, kind of like Elynuik. As I said it was likely not worth an ELC, but he was the most deserving candidate out of any of the AHL contracts we had.

He's followed a path similar to Marchment. We'll see if he can progress well enough and stay healthy enough to be more of an NHL option than Marchment ultimately became, but he's on that path right now.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Actually, that might be the niche for him. Stay at home, let Duszakamania run wild. :laugh:

Reactions: Kiwi and stickty111

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I have to think Marlies will sign a vet defencemen. Either way, Marlies will have another young defence this season.

I imagine they sign two, and then non-tender/trade Kivihalme.

Rosen/Marincin-Lindgren
UFA-Duszak
Rubins-Hollowell
Kral-UFA

On top of bringing in another Kapla (or re-signing him) and potentially looking at some of the other younger AHL contract options out there. I would also still look at Josh Maniscalco and see if we can convince him to come in. I would make room on the Marlies just to fit him in, even if it means trading one of those prospects. I can actually see the Leafs trading a guy like Lindgren as a prospect addition in one of their offseason trades since he likely won't have a spot by the time he is ready.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I think Kivihalme is worth keeping, sorry @SeaOfBlue, he's an intermediate between vet and kid

Marincin/Rosen Liljegren (2 of the 3 could be on the Leafs)
Kivihalme Hollowell/Lindgren
Rubins/Kral Duszak

I think that could be the bones of a strong AHL defensive unit

Actually, that might be the niche for him. Stay at home, let Duszakamania run wild. :laugh:

He's one of the most exciting players I've ever watched, half the time I'm cheering and the other half I want to throw things at the screen because of the rank stupidity on display

He's as bipolar as the fan base :laugh:

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think Kivihalme is worth keeping, sorry @SeaOfBlue, he's an intermediate between vet and kid

Rubins/Kral Duszak

He's one of the most exciting players I've ever watched, half the time I'm cheering and the other half I want to throw things at the screen because of the rank stupidity on display

Duszak is AHL Jake Gardiner except he makes me pull my hair out less.

And I still say Kivihalme is not worth it. He can surprise me, but I just compare him to where Rosen and Holl were at 24, and he is far behind them. Considering we will already have a defense which looks as though it will have at least 5 defensemen who are 23 or under and at least 4 or 5 guys who look like they will be puck movers who could challenge for PP time next year. I would rather invest the contract in a higher quality NHL/AHL tweener who can play PK, may be another good insurance option in the NHL, and can be a good mentor/facilitator for the many young defensemen on the Marlies next year... Especially when guys like Duszak and Hollowell (one of which will likely be Kivihalme's or the vet's partner) need a ton of work on their defensive game. Kivihalme is far from an ideal fit for that kind of role, and does not have the upside necessary to make an exception to keep him.

But I know I am in the minority when it comes to Kivihalme.

Reactions: Kiwi and stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Rubins/Kral Duszak

Can't disagree with that. Whatever the roster is, Moore needs to make it work. You know how much this organization values AHL playoff hockey for prospects, so they probably weren't happy with what they say after Moore came in.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad