Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F Zach Aston-Reese to a PTO

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If meeting the cap requirements is working out fine, then every NHL team every year works out fine. The team's depth of talent has been shrinking. The team's overall improvement is on the back of the maturation of its star forwards.

In 2 summers the future GM of the Leafs will be loaded with cap space if and only if he allows Matthews and Nylander to walk.

If Matty walks after Dubas is fired, Dubas will go down as the absolute worst GM is Leaf history.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If Matty walks after Dubas is fired, Dubas will go down as the absolute worst GM is Leaf history.
Riddle me this: if the Leafs fail to win a single playoff round over the course of Matthews' first 2 contracts with the team, do you think he'll be willing to sign on for potentially 7-8 more years of that? I wouldn't.

Reactions: ToneDog

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Riddle me this: if the Leafs fail to win a single playoff round over the course of Matthews' first 2 contracts with the team, do you think he'll be willing to sign on for potentially 7-8 more years of that? I wouldn't.
What is black and white and read all over?

Auston Matthews new contract.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He is McDavid's class and McDavid got 8 years. Hell Eichel was in that class and got 8 years. It will be a huge blunder if Matty walks.
Draisaitl got 8 yrs.. so did ovechkin..

He would have probably been 12 million or more if 8 yrs

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
He is McDavid's class and McDavid got 8 years. Hell Eichel was in that class and got 8 years. It will be a huge blunder if Matty walks.
Matthews signed a 5 year contract in order to be highest paid player in the league by the summer of 2025.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes, you named the same two that everybody always names, but a lot more got 5.

Ovechkin did not get an 8 year term.

So who of this "new" generation's class do you put in Matty's class ?? It was a class of 3 for me. McDavid, Matty and Eichel. One of these is not like the others.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yes, you named the same two that everybody always names, but a lot more got 5.

Ovechkin did not get an 8 year term.
Oh youre right.. he got longer to commit

So who of this "new" generation's class do you put in Matty's class ?? It was a class of 3 for me. McDavid, Matty and Eichel. One of these is not like the others.
I wonder .. if i have time i might dig into while i should be working

How many upper tier young players in the last say.. 10 years signed their second deals in between year 2 and year 3

It was always frustrating for me that we left our players to the end or almost the end of their elcs instead of hitting that sweet spot

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Matthews signed a 5 year contract in order to be highest paid player in the league by the summer of 2025.
He signed a 5 year contract so that the team could have the space to keep the core together.
So who of this "new" generation's class do you put in Matty's class ??
12 of the top 22 post-ELC cap hit percentages in the cap era were 5 year terms. That includes 5 of the top 8. Crosby, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Nash, Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Bergeron, Getzlaf, etc.
McDavid, Matty and Eichel. One of these is not like the others.
Yeah, Eichel was considerably worse.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
There seems to be a misunderstanding. "Support" in this context means factually justified, not also believed by somebody else on an internet message board.
I was kidding, but opinion is always the same: not factual. You appreciate Dubas. I don't appreciate Dubas. Where do the facts lie in that?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I was kidding, but opinion is always the same: not factual. You appreciate Dubas. I don't appreciate Dubas. Where do the facts lie in that?
Opinions are not all the same. Some are justified by logic and facts. Some aren't. I could have the opinion that the sky is purple, but that is objectively false, and not equally as valid as the opinion that the sky is blue. This has nothing to do with Dubas. The belief that the Leafs aren't close isn't justified by anything. The problem has been getting from close to there.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Opinions are not all the same. Some are justified by logic and facts. Some aren't. I could have the opinion that the sky is purple, but that is objectively false, and not equally as valid as the opinion that the sky is blue. This has nothing to do with Dubas. The belief that the Leafs aren't close isn't justified by anything. The problem has been getting from close to there.
No. You're using extremes to prove a point.

Close to winning a cup? It's hard to measure. I believe the '93 Leafs went from not making the playoffs to 7 games in the conference finals against the kings. That kind of "lightning in a bottle run" is the exception and not the rule. Generally team who win the cup learn how to win a round or two before going all the way. Toronto haven't taken that first step yet. I am not holding my breath waiting for them to catch "lightning in a bottle".

In my opinion TOR is not close, and Dubas continues to mortgage the future believing he is close.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Close to winning a cup? It's hard to measure. I believe the '93 Leafs went from not making the playoffs to 7 games in the conference finals against the kings. That kind of "lightning in a bottle run" is the exception and not the rule. Generally team who win the cup learn how to win a round or two before going all the way. Toronto haven't taken that first step yet. I am not holding my breath waiting for them to catch "lightning in a bottle". In my opinion TOR is not close, and Dubas continues to mortgage the future believing he is close.
The Leafs put up the 15th highest point total in the entire cap era, and then outplayed, outscored, and went 7 games against the reigning back-to-back cup winner and cup finalist. We do not need to catch "lightning in a bottle". We are one of the top teams in the league with one of the best chances at a cup this year, and there is no reasonable justification for that not being "close". Also, we have not "mortgaged our future" at all. Our future looks very bright.
Not any more.
It wasn't when you were personally talking about Murray and Soo players either.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Threa

Not any more.

In case you're wondering how we got here, it was the usual suspects pretending that they didn't understand that a PTO meant he wasn't willing to take a league min guarantee, and trying to spin it into meaning he was a worse player than he wa

Screenshot_20220913_124327.jpg

as usual, that kind of transparent negative spin instigated the same old boring arguments of leafs management being unable to pick up any good players and having to settle for awful ones.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad