Confirmed with Link: 2021 Signing NOT 2022 Yet - TOR signed F Ondrej Kase [1 year, 1.25M]

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The more i research Kase the more i like him. Hopefully he’s smart enough to be dirty if he see’s a big hit coming at him. It’s worth a penalty or a suspension even to save a headshot or career even.He hasn’t played much last bit so he should be healthy and fresh. Likely chomping at the bit to get going.

Could be a steal. He has to protect himself at all costs from getting hit hard. He’s kind of reckless cutting to the middle. He better be aware if he knows what is good for him. I read he’s had 5 concussions.
He does it all with high skills. Good shot,release is quick. Always in the dirty areas though. It’s easy to see why he’s got injured. If this guy is healthy he’s good. Wicked backhand that goalies know is coming but can’t stop it anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Kase can stay healthy, he would be a huge addition to our third line. Unfortunately a HUGE if as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hope he stays healthy.

If Kase can stay healthy, he would be a huge addition to our third line. Unfortunately a HUGE if as well.

We first have to hope he gets healthy and gets back on the ice before we worry about if he can stay there.

Boston acquired him at the 2020 Trade deadline .. He only played in 6 games before going down with a concussion and it resulted in him missing the rest of the regular season and all 14 Boston playoff games.

The following season after having months to recover further he only made it to game #3 of the 2020-21, where again he took a hit and left with a concussion and this time it took him out for 53 regulation games thereafter and when he attempted to come back for the playoffs he had a setback and shutdown for the year and missed all of Bostons 11 playoff games again. So 65 regulation games + 24 playoff games = 89 missed games of his teams last 98 games.

The last time Kase scored an NHL goal was Jan 4th 2020 (while still with Anaheim) and in fact that is only goal in all of 2020 and 2021 so far. Most of that is not his fault but because of injury as he only dressed for 9 NHL games from the trade deadline of 2020 until today. He never scored a goal in a Bruins uniform. His most recent NHL goal was 544 days ago and counting.

With now 5 documented concussions and still recovering from the last one, his return to ice is still unknown and I guess we will have to wait until Leafs training camp to see his updated injury status.

Lets hope for a healthy recovery.. He is a talented player when healthy and could be a factor, but lots of unanswered questions at the moment.

Last edited:

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Hyman killed that line. They were playing 2 vs 3.

I love me some Hyman but what you say is true. Montreal was content with boxing up AM and MM while daring Hyman to score. He kept circling around the net like a shark and would just flub it away eventually. To say anything else about his playoffs would be dishonest.

He had some hands this year during the regular season but then reverted to Hyman of his first couple of years on the team where he needed a wide open net to score during the playoffs.

I'm still convinced that his "Goal" was really MM's and he didn't even touch it.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I love me some Hyman but what you say is true. Montreal was content with boxing up AM and MM while daring Hyman to score. He kept circling around the net like a shark and would just flub it away eventually. To say anything else about his playoffs would be dishonest.

He had some hands this year during the regular season but then reverted to Hyman of his first couple of years on the team where he needed a wide open net to score during the playoffs.

I'm still convinced that his "Goal" was really MM's and he didn't even touch it.
Me too.

Love Hyman, and what made him special was the fact he worked hard to get the skillset required to play in the top 6, all at that bargain price. But 2 serious knee injuries later, his jump was gone and it left him with much less time and space....and he needs a lot of that to make plays.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
We first have to hope he gets healthy and gets back on the ice before we worry about if he can stay there.

Boston acquired him at the 2020 Trade deadline .. He only played in 6 games before going down with a concussion and it resulted in him missing the rest of the regular season and all 14 Boston playoff games.

The following season after having months to recover further he only made it to game #3 of the 2020-21, where again he took a hit and left with a concussion and this time it took him out for 53 regulation games thereafter and when he attempted to come back for the playoffs he had a setback and shutdown for the year and missed all of Bostons 11 playoff games again. So 65 regulation games + 24 playoff games = 89 missed games of his teams last 98 games.

The last time Kase scored an NHL goal was Jan 4th 2020 (while still with Anaheim) and in fact that is only goal in all of 2020 and 2021 so far. Most of that is not his fault but because of injury as he only dressed for 9 NHL games from the trade deadline of 2020 until today.

With now 5 documented concussions and still recovering from the last one, his return to ice is still unknown and I guess we will have to wait until Leafs training camp to see his updated injury status.

Lets hope for a healthy recovery.. He is a talented player when healthy and could be a factor, but lots of unanswered questions at the moment.

Do you honestly think Dubas signed him without a medical exam? You really think they’ll go into training camp not knowing his health status?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
No, he wouldn't. But it's a moot point with an almost buriable salary.
If he’s healthy, he’s definitely good enough to play on our third line. If he’s injured, he’ll go on LTIR and his cap will come off the books. Win-win.

Reactions: Maple Leaf

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would have prefered Tatar because he is a legitimate top 6 LW and doesn't have the the injury issues but if Kase is past all those issues this could be a steal.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
I would have prefered Tatar because he is a legitimate top 6 LW and doesn't have the the injury issues but if Kase is past all those issues this could be a steal.

well duh ...... but one will cost 4mil and the other costs 1 lol

Yes I fully believe Dubas would do that

the fact is that it doesnt matter if he did or not .........
if hes injured again he raises our LTIR
if he plays good to great, we get a free trade chip at the end of the year because hes RFA.
if he sucks or isnt good enough, that constract is almost completely buied

there is literally no downside to this signing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maple Leafs' signing of Ondrej Kase comes with risk

TORONTO – If he’s healthy…

Every story you read and every conversation you hear about Ondřej Kaše, the newest member of the Toronto Maple Leafs, will come with this three-word caveat.

The risk in signing Kaše to a modest one-year, $1.25-million contract Friday night does not lie the Maple Leafs, who’ve made a habit of scooping up high-ceiling talents once they’ve hit a low ebb in hopes of striking gold.

The risk rests with a player only healthy enough to log 25 minutes and 31 seconds — total — of ice time in 2021, for the Boston Bruins. He never scored a goal in a Bruins uniform. His most recent NHL goal was 544 days ago and counting.

Perusing prognostications for the Czech winger’s off-season, multiple Bruins reporters suggested retirement might be on the table Kaše. The six-foot, 190-pound right shot has suffered more than career’s worth of brain injuries. He’s only 25 years old.

“Kase’s concussion woes are not new. He arrived to Boston with a substantial injury history, and it’s believed that this latest concussion was his fifth documented concussion in his professional career At just 25, that’s downright terrifying,” Ty Anderson of 98.5 The Sports Hub wrote in May. “[Kaše] is almost certainly hitting a career crossroads where he may have to put his long-term health above his job.”

So, before Leafs fans start getting carried away by Kaše’s enticing underlying metrics (55.8 CF%); before they start romanticizing Kaše’s 20-goal 2017-18 campaign in Anaheim, when he dangled and dazzled alongside top-line centre Ryan Getzlaf; and before we start using pen to etch his name beside John Tavares or Auston Matthews on a projected line chart, it’s imperative we respect the gigantic if.

Flexing its financial resources well beyond the cap-mandated $81.5 million, Toronto prides itself on its top-tier medical and development staffs. No doubt, Dubas helped sell Kaše on the attention and care he’ll invest in getting him back to form. But to describe this as a no-risk signing is only telling half the story.

Fill story: Maple Leafs' signing of Ondrej Kase comes with risk

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
well duh ...... but one will cost 4mil and the other costs 1 lol

the fact is that it doesnt matter if he did or not .........
if hes injured again he raises our LTIR
if he plays good to great, we get a free trade chip at the end of the year because hes RFA.
if he sucks or isnt good enough, that constract is almost completely buied

there is literally no downside to this signing.
However if he retires the full contract may count towards the cap…..or am I wrong?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
However if he retires the full contract may count towards the cap…..or am I wrong?

someone can double check the the cba but if a player goes on LTIR and then retired the contract i believe is still in LTIR mode. There are dozens of these contract throughout the league
its also a non existant situation that has never happened to an under 30 year old player, especially on a 1 year deal

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
someone can double check the the cba but if a player goes on LTIR and then retired the contract i believe is still in LTIR mode. There are dozens of these contract throughout the league
If a player retires, their cap hit is removed entirely, unless they are on a 35+ contract, or there are cap recapture penalties - neither of which are relevant to Kase. Most of the LTIR players you're thinking of aren't "technically" retired.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yeah but Kase is pretty much buriable. Calculated risk. I’m sure Tatar doesn’t come anywhere as cheap

Maybe this is the Leafs version of Kuch. Keep him on LTIR all season and then activate him for the playoffs. ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Nope that is for only contracts signed for players over 35.

However in this case Kase has a guaranteed contract now and if he can't play the Leafs can just place him on LTIR and replace him with a healthy player essentially overlapping his cap cost. Kase wouldn't retire because then he wouldn't be able to collect his $1.25 mil.

When Boston didn't qualify him because he only played in 9 games and missed 80 (including 25 playoff games over 2 seasons) there was talk he was considering retirement due to his healthy issues. Traumatic brain injuries are a serious issue.

From the latest reports like the one I posted above it says Dubas convinced Kase to sign with Leafs as they have a real strong medical and development staff and are willing investing a lot of time and effort into him to get his health back through rehab and eventually back on the ice feeling he has the talent to make that investment worthwhile gamble.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad