Confirmed with Link: 2021 Signing NOT 2022 Yet - TOR signed F Ondrej Kase [1 year, 1.25M]

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Wow big brain time right here

Leafs have next to no money to spend

It wouldn't matter if the Leafs had $20 million to spend. Half the fan base would be raging if the Leafs paid anyone, anything, above dirt cheap prices.

There were a plethora of people that genuinely thought Hyman was re-signing, on a home team discount, for 3.75-4.0 million.

The only signings that people seem to like are the rock bottom deals, given to analytics sweethearts.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
That article goes on to say one of his options is:

Retire.

If Kase’s injury was in fact a concussion, this is definitely an option for the winger.

Concussions are a serious injury and only get worse and easier to get as you get them. Kase has an extensive concussion history and there’s a chance this one could have ended his career.

This would definitely be the saddest situation, but it may be for the best in regard to Kase’s current health and future well-being.

He got hurt on this play and missed 53 games and counting..

Boston did not give him a qualifying offer due his injury concern history and now he is a unrestricted free agent.

I don't really understand what you are pointing out here.

EVERYONE knows what you are saying. Why are you continually pushing these facts.

YES, we know he has concussion history.
YES, we know he might have to end his career if he takes another hit to the head.

What you don't seem to realize is this is a zero risk signing for the LEAFS in terms of cap implications and upside. YOU can admit this is a decent signing with some upside. You are allowed, it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

Obviously it is a risk for ANY player to play in a contact sport, and could instantly have their career ended. I know you were watching when Lindros played. We all watched JT get a knee to the head in the playoffs.

Are you saying the Leafs knowingly signed him so he goes on LTIR right away?

I just don't get the pushing of this article 3 times already.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

RAM

Feb 16, 2015
Maybe, but in his case, he's already had 5 concussions in his career and he's only 25. Not quite the same level of risk as most players.
I remember when Crosby first came into the league didn't he have quite a few concussions in the first few years, and wasn't it Payton Manning who had 13 or some one like that in the NFL. What will help is that Toronto does not play the same style as Boston or Anaheim so he should have far less physicality in Toronto

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
This is a good news/bad news signing.

The bad news: Kase is damaged goods.

The good news: It didn’t cost a 1st and 4th.
He cost the Bruins a 1st and a 2nd round prospect in Axel Andersson though.

I know they took Backes back as well but that was still seen as an undersell on Kase at the time.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Just wanted to point out that while I don't hate the signing, I already knew the narrative in this thread before I opened it.

"Great signing" as you'd only expect from a bargain bin signing by the Leafs. I swear the only acceptable contracts for half this fan base are those under 2 million lol.
If we get value as cheap as possible how is that a bad thing?

Kase is a 0.5 PPG player with good 5 on 5 metrics in over 200 GP.

Health is a limiting factor but if he sucks we have a bunch of depth that can take his spot.

Still need a top line LW but this doesn't prevent us from doing that either.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
With all due respect to those people happy about this signing, this offseason UFA moment feels like the post-Maurice/JFJ days where the only thing to get excited about was Niklas Hagman. There doesn't really seem to be happy moments digging through the racks at Value Village.

Dubas' new motto: Pillage the Value Village!

That's some "filler instinct" right there... :sarcasm:

Reactions: ottomaddox

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Bruins gave up Backes, Axel Andersson and a first for him. He has value when not sitting in the quiet room. Let’s hope he stays healthy.

I think the 1st had more to do with dumping Backes' contract.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I am gonna LMAO if Leafs sign ritchie, somehow meet boston in the playoffs and it is Kase and Ritchie that win the series.

Both were not qualified by Boston making them UFAs :laugh:

P.S. Yea... I know we haven't a series in the cap era :(
Woah woah woah, not even mentioning the series thing.

Winning Against BOSTON? You don’t talk to daddy like that. Game 7 loss for you next year

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Ondrej Kase • RW
Ht/Wt : 6'0", 190 lbs.
Born : Nov 8, 1995 (25 yrs) in Kadan, CZE
Experience : 5 years
Drafted : Drafted by Anaheim in 2014 (7/205).
Acquired : Acquired as a free agent in 2021.
Shoots : R

SCOUTING REPORT
Has very good offensive instincts and great puck skills and vision. He loves having the puck on his blade because he excels as a playmaker (but can also score a lot of goals himself). Lacks ideal size for the National Hockey League game, so he must adapt to smaller rinks and greater physicality around him. Needs to get much stronger to better avoid injuries.
Long Range Potential: Skilled, versatile winger with some upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ondrej Kase Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Toronto Maple Leafs | The Sports Forecaster

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
What is the point of this signing……….just another move that most likely does nothing to make the team better

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Obviously, with this injury history, good health has to be priority number one for the player.
That said, his talent is for real.
Like Mik, this guy was projecting to be a pretty strong top six player.
If he can stay healthy, he adds to the depth, stretching out the office.
And if he doesn’t stay healthy, there are a few guys who can step in and are ready for an opportunity too.
Don’t mind this one, wishing this guy good health.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think last season our risky signing was Thornton.

This year we have 4 new maybes and whatifs.

I suppose it's good enough to be 5th in our division...
To my eyes, latyears signings were “come and get a ride on our young cores coattails” and this year is “ prove you belong.”

If there is one thing the Leafs need more of, it’s desperation.

For Kase, I hope he’s healthy either now or in the future. Maybe he is ready to go second half. If he can play, he’s better than his cap hit

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Thomas Kaberle, wow, was he ever a beauty. Till Cam Janssens put him into palooka ville.

Such was the TOLERANCE at that time for plays like that.

Glad we have moved on.

This is a no brainer, if he stays healthy, he is above average, which is what you want.

If he gets smoked, he goes on LITR. Plus the Leafs giving a guy like this a contract, a shot, build up tons of more brownie points.

Dubas is learning, evolving.

Why throw him all this heat. He understands inflation and was running with it.

This ridiculous corona crap, scuttled him.

Its scuttled millions more as well.

He gets back up, and he keeps workin.

Welcome to life on planet Z.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Well said.
This team is not gonna win a cup and you burn yet another year of high end talent.
Amazing these people still have a job with such a storied franchise , at such a cruicial time in our history.
Shameful.
Why so upset? Do you have nothing else in your life? Why does it bother you so much? I honestly feel bad for people like you who form their identify around the Leafs and get this mad and upset when they don't do well.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
With the Ritchie signing, I think all this really does is replace Engvall in the lineup at the same cap hit. He can be buried or traded. So, it's a cheap depth scorer the same age as Engvall, same price for more upside. If he can recover he will be worth more than his cap hit, if he can't he'll be a drag, but all he's doing is replacing Engvall and filling a large hole at 3rd line RW.

Not a bad gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad