Confirmed Trade: [TOR/SEA] Mark Giordano (50% retained) and Colin Blackwell for 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd, 2024 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Giordano was good 5 years ago. Todays move was nothing more than rearranging chairs on a sinking ship that will go down in R1 to BOS or TB

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think that's fairly off the mark tbh, and putting Andersen and Mrazek in the same box seems disingenuous, Andersen was their MVP almost every year he played in Toronto (last year was a mess of course) and has gone on to thrive in one of the most defensively sound teams in the league, so I really don't think that's it. Mrazek put up some of the worst NHL goalie performances I've ever seen in succession, don't even know where to start with him this year.

It's not a bad thing, some high end goalies like Vokoun were the same way, they thrived in loose systems with lots of action keeping them active mentally. The Leafs just exploited this against Andersen last week, low shots against Andersen and he looked unfocused on the rushes that got through. He fell off a cliff as soon as we switched to Keefe and started funneling shots to the outside instead of trading chances off stretch passes like Babcock. He's a good fit in Carolina, they're hard to cycle against but you can beat them on counterattack rushes, Andersen likes those if he gets tested early.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fair trade. Gio still has mileage on him in a second pairing role, and Blackwell is a hard- working bottom six who showed much better once he got some meaningful ice time. Hope they both do well

Reactions: Mr Knies Guy

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
47 pages already for this relatively tame trade!
Giordano isn't the biggest catch but he is a solid defenseman and more importantly, he is still a big name.

It doesn't matter how much he declined. People are going to talk about it when a guy who captained multiple franchises and won the Norris a mere 3 years ago is traded to one of the biggest markets in hockey.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Well you are right in a few ways but missing some important points.

Leafs did for the most part outplay Montreal, but the fact is, they are our cryptonite. Year after year no matter which team is better than the other, the Habs play us hard and games are usually pretty close. Always and forever. We could be first overall and they last overall, and games are tight. Some teams just have some teams number, and they seem to have ours. (Ottawa plays us hard too and they suck, see previous statement). Every team has a few of those, don't have the stats in front of me but every really good team has a few bottom feeders that beat them alot. While everyone else was pumped facing Habs first round last year I was terrified, especially with Price going price. Important to note we also lost tavares to a nasty injury... easy to see he could have been a difference maker in 2 different overtimes.

Tampa is obviously very good, but we have played them well and I think we can go toe to toe with them. Vasi is great but beatable. Tampa has allowed 15 fewer goals than us with one less game played, they are hardly a defensive giant compared to us. At the start of the year Campbell was a Vezina candidate, then sucked badly, and it looks like it may have been a lingering rib injury. If he is somewhere between the 2 and provides decent average goaltending, we have a chance against any team in the league, never mind our division.

Leafs are clearly a contender and have a much better D than last year. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
Thanks for rectifying , good to see some Leafs fan that aren't totally based !
Tavares tends to play well against us.
Also we absolutely destroyed Winnipeg and beat Vegas after beating Toronto last year. There's no shame to losing to us last year.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Giordano isn't the biggest catch but he is a solid defenseman and more importantly, he is still a big name.

It doesn't matter how much he declined. People are going to talk about it when a guy who captained multiple franchises and won the Norris a mere 3 years ago is traded to one of the biggest markets in hockey.
3 years past 35 counts triple :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Last season the Leafs severely outplayed Montreal and were the far better team in the series but Campbell reverted to backup goalie with a sub .900 over the last 3 elimination games and Price did Price things when it counted.

This season the Leafs will face a much tougher task going up against Vasi who is far better than Price and Tampa who is far better than Montreal wishing on a prayer that the same career backup goalie to have different results.

It is insanity to bet this team's success on the prayer that is Jack Campbell matching Vasi save for save when it counts.
sure, but what goalie are you going to get who can match Vasilevskiy save for save? Any goalie who's available will be a very distant 2nd best in that series, so they may as well focus on improving the rest of the team

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Last season the Leafs severely outplayed Montreal and were the far better team in the series but Campbell reverted to backup goalie with a sub .900 over the last 3 elimination games and Price did Price things when it counted.

This season the Leafs will face a much tougher task going up against Vasi who is far better than Price and Tampa who is far better than Montreal wishing on a prayer that the same career backup goalie to have different results.

It is insanity to bet this team's success on the prayer that is Jack Campbell matching Vasi save for save when it counts.

I mean the goaltender is a part of the team. Leafs stars are at forward and the Habs were on D and in goal.

Leafs keep gambling on unproven/tandem goalies. They need to get a legit starter.

Reactions: makbeer

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I mean Kyle Clifford played last night. The only 4th liner they have that might be better is Spezza but they bring such different things. A lot of Rangers fans seemed to like Blackwell when he was there and his underlying stuff in Seattle has been really good, I'm optimistic about him.
You put Blackwell on a line that can score he will make that line better. He forechecks hard, digs the puck out, and goes to the net.

Reactions: Mr Knies Guy

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I mean the goaltender is a part of the team. Leafs stars are at forward and the Habs were on D and in goal.

Leafs keep gambling on unproven/tandem goalies. They need to get a legit starter.

If Andersen's numbers here don't count, your bar of legit starter is actually "Vezina Nominee"

I no longer have an opinion on what the Leafs "need to do." The question is better posed to a Ouija board, the procession of Mars through Aquarius, or the knucklebones of a thrice-drowned sailor. No matter what either team looks like, if there's a way to lose, the Leafs will find it. If there isn't, worry not, they'll invent it. If I'm Dubas I'm sending my scouts to Greece to find out what the best way to sacrifice a goat is.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If Andersen's numbers here don't count, your bar of legit starter is actually "Vezina Nominee"

I no longer have an opinion on what the Leafs "need to do." The question is better posed to a Ouija board, the procession of Mars through Aquarius, or the knucklebones of a thrice-drowned sailor. No matter what either team looks like, if there's a way to lose, the Leafs will find it. If there isn't, worry not, they'll invent it. If I'm Dubas I'm sending my scouts to Greece to find out what the best way to sacrifice a goat is.

Freddie was a great regular season goalie but he had too many bad goals in the playoffs and his playoff numbers most years weren't great.

I don't mean vezina nominee but rather a top 8-10 goalie in regular season and playoffs. No more middle of the pack/tandem goalies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The question is whether this is enough to keep pace with what Florida, Tampa, and Boston have done.

i don't fear Boston, in fact I want both Boston and Toronto to pass Tampa so we get a Toronto Boston series again because I don't think Boston is the same as they were in 2018 and 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad