Confirmed Trade: [TOR/SEA] Mark Giordano (50% retained) and Colin Blackwell for 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd, 2024 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I think it would have been a lot harder for the Leafs to "fix" their needs than it was / is for the Bruins... simply because of cap space.

The Leafs are very limited in what they can spend on players with term (or on rentals with the vision of resigning them). Boston had cap space, and more importantly, the ability to easily create more in the offseason with a redundant $3m defenceman or two.

The Lightning and Panthers somewhat obliterated their future flexibility by trading all of the draft picks that they did.

- Could the Leafs have gone out and traded for Lawson Crouse? sure.
- Could they have gone out and traded for Connor Murphy (before he got hurt) or Damon Severson? sure.
- Could they have gone out and traded for Marc Andre Fleury? maybe, depending on Fleury's NTC.
- Could they have done all 3? probably yes, esp if they were going to hold off Muzzin until the playoffs.

But... doing so would have likely completely obliterated any and all future flexibility they had. Crouse would have been a 1st+. Murphy or Severson a 1st+ as a well. Fleury, likely one, maybe both of the 2nds they gave up for Giordano.

Should they have taken that route? I think that's the tougher question; as it basically means you're committing yourself to trading a guy like Muzzin in the offseason, and possibly more, to accommodate the raise for Crouse, keeping Murphy/Severson, etc.

Ultimately, my hope is that Giordano is not the only move they make. They were seemingly tactical in today's acquisition(s) -- protecting their 1st this year, protecting all of their prospects, and likely only moving down in this year's draft by about 20 places from late 2nd round to mid-3rd... they very well still could go after a Severson or Crouse.
I think you're overestimating Toronto's future cap flexibility

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I get what you're saying, but you're under the assumption it gets easier as time goes on. I'd argue it gets more difficult. The Leafs core has been in place, and the window SHOULD be open now. They also have given up assets going forward, but none of them are difference makers. Let me ask you this, if they get knocked out of the first round again, will you just sleep well knowing 31 other teams didn't win, or will you then think maybe it's time for a shake up? This Leafs team has talent, and for me the only mission accomplished would be a cup while this window is open.
To be very specific, if this core does not show any signs of improving towards a Cup in this playoffs run, I'd expect the following moves this off season...

1). Trade William Nylander, Alex Kerfoot, Jake Muzzin and Justin Holl and prospects.

2). Return a goalie upgrade, another top 4 defenseman and increased scoring depth.

3). Further evaluate Sandin, Liljegren and Robertson as they take on full time roles at cost effective prices.

4). Extend Giordano on a Spezza style "end your career here" cheap contract, which I think we can do given that he's from Toronto and has made it known he'll likely live in the area come retirement.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Addition-Tavares-Addition
Mikheyev-Kampf-Addition
Robertson-Addition-Engvall
Steeves or Holmberg

Reilly-Addition
Giordano-Brodie
Sandin-Lyubushkin
Liljegren

In this scenario, with Kessel's retention coming off the cap and about $1 million in savings between Giordano and Justin Holl, coupled with Mrazek, Dermott, Nylander, Muzzin, Kerfoot and Holl coming off the cap Toronto would have about $23-$25 million in cap space to sign / trade for 4 forwards, a defenseman, a starting goalie reasonable extension for Campbell... I'd be looking at something like this in terms breakdown...

Goalie: $4-$5 million
Forward #1: $5 million
Defenseman: $5-$6 million
Forward #2: $3 million
Forward #3: $2 million
Forward #4: $1-$2 million.
Capmbell: $2.5

You basically retool and try again.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Just a murdering catch by dubas and the maple leafs. These players make the leafs a total kill-machine. Giordiano still a killa in the field, battle. And blackwell is a huge uppgrade on clifford etc. Clifford's nhl career is over. For life.

Toronto gets what they want and are the richest. The most powerful organization in the hockey world. Every judgement and penalty and goal is also being investitaged and called in toronto. This year might be toronto's big year again.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
its crazy that leafs trade has 44 pages lmao no other thread is this long,

Seems like the leafs are on everyone's mind
Even crazier is half the thread saying it’s a nice trade for the leafs and giving it a positive review lol

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Giordano and Lyubushkin is that physical presence the Leafs needed in the playoffs. If Muzzin Comes back...leafs will finally have a playoff-ready type D-Core with versatility and depth if they choose to use Sandin/Liljegren

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Even crazier is half the thread saying it’s a nice trade for the leafs and giving it a positive review lol
People saying nice M80, as they walk away to watch the other guy light off a stick of dynamite.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Giordano and Lyubushkin is that physical presence the Leafs needed in the playoffs. If Muzzin Comes back...leafs will finally have a playoff-ready type D-Core with versatility and depth if they choose to use Sandin/Liljegren

OK, but can the goalies stop the puck and can Matthews/Marner be great at clutch time?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
There's a good chance it won't work for any of the three. I just can't guarantee that.
Totally, but if they do win the cup, no matter the cost, it's worth it. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and we all know for a FACT that the longer a good team lingers around waiting to take a shot, the more mediocre they become.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I do. I don't have any proof of that, but I do.

Fair enough.. I really hope you are wrong, that would be a big loss for this team at a time when it is rounding into completion. Maybe LTIR until the postseason? If Muzzin and he were both in that boat it would mean another impact forward picked up tomorrow.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
OK, but can the goalies stop the puck and can Matthews/Marner be great at clutch time?
They absolutely have to address their net, right? How does Dubas explain it away if they lose critical games 4-5 and 5-6? I don't think the TOR media and fans accepts, "I tried, but there was nothing there". They have no faith in Campbell, Waived Mrazek(no one even wants him free), and would they dare feed Kallgren to the wolves? I strongly suspect Gibson may ask to be moved in the off-season, so maybe it's time to pull out some artillery, and try to get that done now.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Fair enough.. I really hope you are wrong, that would be a big loss for this team at a time when it is rounding into completion. Maybe LTIR until the postseason? If Muzzin and he were both in that boat it would mean another impact forward picked up tomorrow.
Muzzin pulling a TB is a no-brainer, imo

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Are you insinuating the leafs are not contenders or they will be later on?
I'm very directly suggesting that unless Toronto makes a major upgrade at goalie tomorrow, that they are short an enormous piece to contending.

Whether they get that goalie tomorrow, or in the off season, they have to find him.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm very directly suggesting that unless Toronto makes a major upgrade at goalie tomorrow, that they are short an enormous piece to contending.

Whether they get that goalie tomorrow, or in the off season, they have to find him.

I still think one of Marner or Nylander has to go. If you have an elite goalie, you have to pay him. They can't with all these bloated contracts on the books that don't even perform in the clutch.

Reactions: DRAGO 18 and Daz28
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad