Confirmed with Link: TOR Promotes John Lilley to Director of Amateur Scouting

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
.While not many players get drafted out of those leagues (unless they play in the high pros), they are becoming increasingly more popular in the CHL Import Draft because they are cheaper to acquire and often view the CHL as a better option for their development than their home country.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. The CHL is increasingly seen as the route to the NHL by a lot of Europeans and American players (see Bracco or Biggs) , it think you can see Dubas in this last draft thinking the same way.

It's frustrating to watch players like Tontinato burn through 3-4 years of school only to become free agents at the end of it, or players who, while displaying talent at draft age, see their skills slowly atrophy away from a CHL style system and playing against inferior competition than their CHL or Euro/Russian league counter parts.

Watching players like Johnsson develop and play in Europe in men's leagues then finally making the jump to NA has been a thing of beauty.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There's a lot of good, and some bad obviously.

Since the 2007 draft the Leafs have drafted the following out of U.S schools, or the USNDP

2008: Jimmy Hayes, F (2/60) ...... 334 games 54 goals 55 assists 109 points
2009: Jerry D'Amigo, F (6/158) .... 31 games 1 goal 2 assists 3 points
2009: Eric Knodel, D (5/128)
2009: Kenny Ryan, F (2/50)
2011: Max Everson, D (7/203)
2011: Dennis Robertson, D (6/173)
2011: Tony Cameranesi, F (5/130)
2011: Tyler Biggs, F (1/22)
2012: Dominic Toninato, F (5/126) ... 37 games 0 goals 2 assists 2 points
2014: Nolan Vesey, F (6/158)
2014: Dakota Joshua, F (5/128)
2014: J.J Piccinich, F (4/103)
2015: Jeremy Bracco, F (2/61)
2016: J.D Greenway, D (3/72)
2016: Joseph Woll, G (3/62)

Hayes, Toninato, and D'Amigo became NHL'ers. There's some hope with Bracco, and Woll playing in the NHL. There's some that think Dakota Joshua could eventually become a 3rd or 4th line guy still as well.

So out of 15 picks, 5 or 6 of them will probably see NHL ice.

Not bad production TBH

That is the total production to date .. Not very good at all as Jimmy Hayes would be only one that qualified as a successful draft pick as 100 NHL games is used as the measure.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That is the total production to date .. Not very good at all as Jimmy Hayes would be only one that qualified as a successful draft pick as 100 NHL games is used as the measure.
I admit, if you look at this guy’s actual record, he doesn’t deserve a promotion on the face of it. I’m giving Dubas the benefit of the doubt here, as always, there is more going on than we fans see. Morrison is a real head scratcher for me, how he survives is a mystery, yet he does. This move, I’ll reserve judgement.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I am only looking at American players, so I am not sure if there are more Canadians playing American like Robertson. They are typically pretty rare.

Hayes: BPA
Pateryn: Atkinson 37 picks later, Wingels (about equal) 49 picks later.
Knodel: Anders Lee 24 picks later, Nick Jensen 22 picks later.
D'Amigo: BPA (unless you count Nic Dowd who is not much better).
Ryan: Dumoulin was taken a pick later. Craig Smith was taken 48 picks later. Chris Wideman 50 picks later
Everson: Dzingel taken a pick later.
Cameranesi: Seeler taken a pick later, Kuraly three picks later.
Biggs: A lot of good talent soon after.
Robertson: BPA or not much better around.
Toninato: Hellebuyck taken 4 picks later. Carrick 11 picks later.
Piccinich: BPA
Joshua: Bjork 18 picks later.
Vesey: Hawkey got a 5th round pick in a trade instead of a 7th? 19 picks later. BPA though because more was involved outside of pure hockey skill.
Bracco: BPA by far
Woll: Technically it's really early, but maybe Adam Fox 4 picks later.
Greenway: BPA, even with the lack of development he's still better than a lot of the other guys you could have got. Anderson, Pitlick, Colton and Fitzgerald are decent, but not great at this point. Even in hindsight, Greenway has more potential and a better chance of turning out than most taken after him.

Thanks for that! A couple misses in there for sure.

I'll mirror what was said on page one and say Dubas has my trust until he shows he doesn't deserve it. Hope we bring in a couple new people though.

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
Like others have said, on the surface the Leafs track record on US scouting and drafting has been sub-par; but with a new player evaluation and development philosophy under Dubas I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
That one is pretty tough to judge.

Obviously Biggs was slated to go in that area (apparently DET was going to take him, which is why the Leafs moved up to get him).

Not only that, but it was known that Burke really wanted Biggs.

Biggs hurt so much. I mean, the guy is/was freaking strong. I saw a youtube clip of him doing a 300+ lbs. power clean after he was drafted. But his shot... he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. But hey, who needs a scoring touch when you can have TRUCULENCE!!!!!

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Another underwhelming move. Strange to say the least. On the surface looks like a "rookie" move.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Another underwhelming move. Strange to say the least. On the surface looks like a "rookie" move.
Another tremendous move. Impressive to say the least. On the surface looks like a veteran move.
Its good Rielly isnt a "3rd pairing d man after all"

Reactions: Walshy7

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
:laugh:

you had no idea who this guy was, admit it

Do I know him personally? No. Was I aware of his work? I try to learn what I can about everyone in the organization. To me his business unit for a lack of better term hasn't delivered, now he's getting promoted. Seems odd. Maybe this guy is a smooth talker like Waldo and got the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad