Confirmed with Link: [TOR/PIT] Frank Corrado for Eric Fehr, Steve Oleksy, 4th round pick 17

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Bonuses don't get added until after the season. Most project somewhere around $4.6M in overage penalty for next season.

Yes, and we're 5.3 million under right now. If all bonuses are met, that's about 5 million used up, leaving us 250-300K. We're fine. LOL.

Who is saying otherwise? Who is "most project"?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Fehr was on waivers and not claimed.

Corrado was on waivers and not claimed.

The difference in salary (approx $1.1M) is the cost of acquiring the 4th round pick.

Fehr, Corrado and Oleksy were all on waivers in 2017.

The trade was really a fourth round pick for $2 million in cap space. None of the three players had any value.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Has there been anything published about which bonuses are actually on all their contracts? We have no idea how high the various Schedule A/B thresholds are set

I've only seen Matthews. He only needs to finish top ten in goals to hit the schedule B bonus of $2M. He's a shoe-in to hit the following schedule A targets: games played, all rookie team, all-star game plays, top 6 time on ice forwards, .73 ppg, minimum 20 goals, minimum 60 pts.

He may hit: top 3 forward +/-, 35 assists

I don't know the amounts of each of the schedule A bonuses, but he's getting at least $2.5M.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Yes, and we're 5.3 million under right now. If all bonuses are met, that's about 5 million used up, leaving us 250-300K. We're fine. LOL.

Who is saying otherwise? Who is "most project"?

We are currently $.255M under the cap.

Capfriendly and the Athletic have both run articles on the Leafs performance bonuses. There are various bloggers who have written articles on the Leafs cap too.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I can do math.

What if we decide to move Bozak and JVR?

Or Kadri or Gardiner.

We have players who make money who can be traded. So worrying about Polak and Hunwick and replacing UFA's is pointless when we have no clue who management intends on moving forward with after this year.

You're trying to ice a 17-18 roster without knowing the next 7 months of changes first.

Take a step back and enjoy the actual meaningful games we are playing. That stuff will take care of itself after the season.

I do enjoy it! That doesn't preclude me from being aware of our precarious cap situation.

If you can do math, then you must be aware we would need to move JVR and Bozak (a combined cap hit of $8.25) for 2 players that carry a combined cap hit of roughly $3.25M to not go over the cap again, resulting in another overage penalty.

It can be done, absolutely, but doesn't all that manoeuvring and signing of league minimum vets signify a tiny cap issue?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I do enjoy it! That doesn't preclude me from being aware of our precarious cap situation.

If you can do math, then you must be aware we would need to move JVR and Bozak (a combined cap hit of $8.25) for 2 players that carry a combined cap hit of roughly $3.25M to not go over the cap again, resulting in another overage penalty.

It can be done, absolutely, but doesn't all that manoeuvring and signing of league minimum vets signify a tiny cap issue?

No. Not being able to play games or play with a full roster signifies a cap issue. Needing to move players around to bring other players in is the system we're playing under. It's only an issue if we screw up.

We have no issues right now. Lots of cap space. Lots of time left for evaluation and there's inevitable change coming cap or no cap because it's a sport and moving guys are they get older and worse and more expensive is inevitable.

The fact you're so concerned about bonus overages is laughable to me, honestly. That's for the cap guys to work out and management to work on. We have no indication that that's not happening so why would it be an issue? We have 20 games left in a playoff race and some are only concerned about bonus overages and 18-19 cap space in threads about trades that break out as a rental, an expansion draft exposee, and 4th for Corrado and a 2nd with some other contracts coming and going.

I'm more then confident in this management group navigating the salary cap. When we can't dress 18 skaters or can't make a big move due to having a lack of cap space then come find me and let me know we have some cap issues. Otherwise we're one of a dozen teams spending to a cap and will only have issues if we really screw up.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
No. Not being able to play games or play with a full roster signifies a cap issue. Needing to move players around to bring other players in is the system we're playing under. It's only an issue if we screw up.

We have no issues right now. Lots of cap space. Lots of time left for evaluation and there's inevitable change coming cap or no cap because it's a sport and moving guys are they get older and worse and more expensive is inevitable.

The fact you're so concerned about bonus overages is laughable to me, honestly. That's for the cap guys to work out and management to work on. We have no indication that that's not happening so why would it be an issue? We have 20 games left in a playoff race and some are only concerned about bonus overages and 18-19 cap space in threads about trades that break out as a rental, an expansion draft exposee, and 4th for Corrado and a 2nd with some other contracts coming and going.

I'm more then confident in this management group navigating the salary cap. When we can't dress 18 skaters or can't make a big move due to having a lack of cap space then come find me and let me know we have some cap issues. Otherwise we're one of a dozen teams spending to a cap and will only have issues if we really screw up.

OK man, some are concerned when they have a mortgage, some when they have to live paycheck to paycheck, others feel there is only a problem when the house gets taken away. I get it, different levels of risk.

You can quite easily make the argument we couldn't make a move this TDL because of our cap situation. That can be hard to accept though if you're completely ignorant to the present situation.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
See where it says LTIR? That doesn't actually raise the cap, it allows you to exceed the cap. The cap is still $73M whether you use LTIR or not.

Yes, but that means we are allowed to exceed that cap by that amount.

With Horton, Lupul and Robidas all on LTIR, we technically have 13.55 million in LTIR space. But because we never used up that space and replaced those salaries, the league apparently just takes the highest salary and count that as the LTIR cap space we can use. That's why nhlnumbers shows 5.3 million, which is Horton's salary.

Fact is.....we have 5.267 in space we can use, and bonuses are estimated to come to 5 million or less. So we are under the cap.

We do "technically" go over, but we are allowed to, and are not penalized for it, as it is space that LTIR has created for us.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
We have 250K in cap space so that comes out of the Performance bonuses
The max amount of bonuses is 4.6M

We're going to be in the 4M range being tacked onto next years cap

If we want a top 4 guy were going to need to lose the salary of JVR/Bozak to make it work

What am I missing? I have max bonuses in 16/17 at $5.765M

Matthews 2.85
Marner, Zaitsev and Nylander all at .85
Brown and Sosh both at .1825

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
We have 250K in cap space so that comes out of the Performance bonuses
The max amount of bonuses is 4.6M

We're going to be in the 4M range being tacked onto next years cap

If we want a top 4 guy were going to need to lose the salary of JVR/Bozak to make it work

Nope.

With all bonuses in, we're over the 73 million dollar cap. But we are allowed to be because of Horton's 5.3 million dollar salary. If we wanted to, we could have replaced Horton's, Lupul's and Robidas' salaried and been 13.5 million over the cap.

The team is not stupid y'know. They know what they're doing. They are trying to be as close to the cap as possible.

When it's all said and done, we're about 250K under.

This might help explain it.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/3/1/14786132/so-the-leafs-have-how-much-cap-space

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Nope.

With all bonuses in, we're over the 73 million dollar cap. But we are allowed to be because of Horton's 5.3 million dollar salary. If we wanted to, we could have replaced Horton's, Lupul's and Robidas' salaried and been 13.5 million over the cap.

The team is not stupid y'know. They know what they're doing. They are trying to be as close to the cap as possible.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/3/1/14786132/so-the-leafs-have-how-much-cap-space

LTIR can not offset bonus overage.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nope.

You can't use LTIR for performance bonuses so only 250K gets knocked off of bonuses for next season

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Yes, but that means we are allowed to exceed that cap by that amount.

With Horton, Lupul and Robidas all on LTIR, we technically have 13.55 million in LTIR space. But because we never used up that space and replaced those salaries, the league apparently just takes the highest salary and count that as the LTIR cap space we can use. That's why nhlnumbers shows 5.3 million, which is Horton's salary.

Fact is.....we have 5.267 in space we can use, and bonuses are estimated to come to 5 million or less. So we are under the cap.

We do "technically" go over, but we are allowed to, and are not penalized for it, as it is space that LTIR has created for us.

Correct, but that is in season. At the end of the season, when LTIR is not allowed and the bonuses are applied, we will be over the cap.

Chris Johnson tweeted about it yesterday

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What am I missing? I have max bonuses in 16/17 at $5.765M

Matthews 2.85
Marner, Zaitsev and Nylander all at .85
Brown and Sosh both at .1825

You're right
If was looking at next year that's 4.6M

It's going to be in the 5M range when's all said and done so it's still going to take JVR/Bozak going out the door to make the cap work for a top 4 guy
Maybe both

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Correct, but that is in season. At the end of the season, when LTIR is not allowed and the bonuses are applied, we will be over the cap.

Chris Johnson tweeted about it yesterday

Okay fair enough. But their still under the estimated bonus cushion, so a million of it will go this year's cap, and 3 million or so to next year's. It's still totally fine, as they will have lots of space for next year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Okay fair enough. But their still under the estimated bonus cushion, so a million of it will go this year's cap, and 3 million or so to next year's. It's still totally fine, as they will have lots of space for next year.

We're only under the cap by 250K now so about 5M is going to get carried over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad