Confirmed with Link: [TOR/PIT] Frank Corrado for Eric Fehr, Steve Oleksy, 4th round pick 17

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm a bit curious why we are carrying 24 guys at the moment. We could drop one to the Marlies and save a few bucks for next year.

I'm guessing they have decided that some guys on bigger money deals are going no matter what So it's not a concern
They do have cheap replacements for the guys up front

We may need to shift salary from the forward group to the backend though

The backend of Nylander Marner Mathews ECL contracts is going to be interesting
Overages in those years are going to be ugly cap wise

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I'm guessing they have decided that some guys on bigger money deals are going no matter what So it's not a concern
They do have cheap replacements for the guys up front

We may need to shift salary from the forward group to the backend though

The backend of Nylander Marner Mathews ECL contracts is going to be interesting
Overages in those years are going to be ugly cap wise

I think without a doubt this happens. Going into this season we ranked 26th out of 30 teams in cap spending on defense.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I'm a bit curious why we are carrying 24 guys at the moment. We could drop one to the Marlies and save a few bucks for next year.

We are carrying 24 guys because Carrick is on injured reserve. The standard is 23 players. Most players that can go down to the Marlies without going through waivers are our better players (yes this excludes Smith). There is no point in losing a player to waivers. It will be nice to see Smith play 1 more game making him theoretical eligible to be one of Leafs expansion draft eligible fodder if signed to a contract extension and then maybe waive him to the Marlies. Shosnikov could go down and does not require waivers but I feel he should stay up. Vote Smith to the Marlies ASAP.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
We are carrying 24 guys because Carrick is on injured reserve. The standard is 23 players. Most players that can go down to the Marlies without going through waivers are our better players (yes this excludes Smith). There is no point in losing a player to waivers. It will be nice to see Smith play 1 more game making him theoretical eligible to be one of Leafs expansion draft eligible fodder if signed to a contract extension and then maybe waive him to the Marlies. Shosnikov could go down and does not require waivers but I feel he should stay up. Vote Smith to the Marlies ASAP.

Carrick is not currently part of the 24, he would be the 25th if not on IR.

They could send Fehr, Sosh or Smith down without waivers and save some dough for next year. They've got 20 games to get Smith's game in, though that's no longer needed as Fehr meets the min exposure requirement.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
I would suggest it's because you're limited in the amount of call-ups. If you send someone down, and need recall someone, you use on of the (four?) allowable call-ups.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Carrick is not currently part of the 24, he would be the 25th if not on IR.

They could send Fehr, Sosh or Smith down without waivers and save some dough for next year. They've got 20 games to get Smith's game in, though that's no longer needed as Fehr meets the min exposure requirement.

You are right, Cap Friendly has Leafs carrying 25 players including Carrick. I may be wrong on this but Fehr may have cleared waivers and not have been officially recalled even though he is listed to be on Toronto's roster. Teams can not normally have 24 active players.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I would suggest it's because you're limited in the amount of call-ups. If you send someone down, and need recall someone, you use on of the (four?) allowable call-ups.

I think you might be right. It's the only possible reasoning that actually makes sense so far.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
You are right, Cap Friendly has Leafs carrying 25 players including Carrick. I may be wrong on this but Fehr may have cleared waivers and not have been officially recalled even though he is listed to be on Toronto's roster. Teams can not normally have 24 active players.

There are no roster restrictions after the trade deadline. I think what Notouchicing came up with might actually be the reason.

You are limited to the number of callups.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The Leafs actually have to expose two 40/70, under contract for next year forwards.

"Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons."

Fehr could be one of them, but they need another. Capfriendly.com has a tool which shows the possibilities
https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft. Right now, it looks as if that would have to expose Komarov or Martin. They are too valuable to lose in that way.

I think that the potential to use Fehr as one of the forwards to be exposed is clearly a big plus for this trade. (An aside: has Tim Chiasson at Editor in Leaf, who has been slagging this trade actually read the rules?) The point is not so much that Las Vegas would take Fehr. It is that having him makes it unnecessary to expose someone else the Leafs might regret losing.

A second point, IMO, is that it would still be useful to do what is necessary to make Smith eligible for that second slot, namely play him one more game and sign him to a cheap contract for next year.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Another point about Fehr and the expansion draft: the conditions that apply to Las Vegas may make it desirable to Vegas to take some expensive veterans with one year left on their contracts. Here are the rules:

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

Vegas may need to claim some players like Fehr to reach that 60% threshold. It woukd be useful, however, if they were not signed for the following year ... like Fehr. He might also fit the mandated ratios of forwards to Dmen and goalies. They might take Fehr after all!

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
The Leafs actually have to expose two 40/70, under contract for next year forwards.

"Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons."

Fehr could be one of them, but they need another. Capfriendly.com has a tool which shows the possibilities
https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft. Right now, it looks as if that would have to expose Komarov or Martin. They are too valuable to lose in that way.

I think that the potential to use Fehr as one of the forwards to be exposed is clearly a big plus for this trade. (An aside: has Tim Chiasson at Editor in Leaf, who has been slagging this trade actually read the rules?) The point is not so much that Las Vegas would take Fehr. It is that having him makes it unnecessary to expose someone else the Leafs might regret losing.

A second point, IMO, is that it would still be useful to do what is necessary to make Smith eligible for that second slot, namely play him one more game and sign him to a cheap contract for next year.

I'm starting to think that Smith was approached already to extend and decided not to, knowing an extension with the Leafs most likely sees him playing the year with the Marlies.

This would be another explanation for the Fehr trade.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I'm starting to think that Smith was approached already to extend and decided not to, knowing an extension with the Leafs most likely sees him playing the year with the Marlies.

This would be another explanation for the Fehr trade.

Also everyone in the league now knows the dangers of Robidas Island. Burn the boats.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Also everyone in the league now knows the dangers of Robidas Island. Burn the boats.

I do think there is some truth to this. Some vets may not want to sign with the Leafs out of fear of ending up like say laich.

Not that it's a major issue - most of those vets ain't worth signing anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad