Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau - 3 years, $6.25M AAV (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Lol, haters gonna hate.

Over 1200 posts in a little over two hours tells you all you need to know about this signing, it truly was a great day for Leafs Nation :laugh:

Marleau/Matthews/Nylander = One of the best lines in the game and a already potent PP just got better.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I like it. You're going to have to overpay when you're a team coming out of a rebuild. And unlike years past, the term isn't crippling. Helps them be competitive now, and he won't be around any more when they're (hopefully) taking the next step in three years.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I understand that. That's why I said in the first part that the 35+ part was the key to making it work if Marleau wants to retire. (I misunderstood a Leaf fan's posts who was actually proposing LTIR instead of this but I though s/he was saying what you're suggesting here. I said that there should be no problem and I didn't get why ppl were attacking what the poster said.) If he wants to play for another team, that works too. Maybe he can come back home if the Sharks have cap space.

As I said, I don't like the rules but the Leafs absolutely should use them to their benefit.

I don't like these rules at all but I also hate the fact Pittsburgh and Chicago won Cups with cap circumventing contracts. They played within the rules.

This loophole likely gets closed after the next CBA.

NHL should just introduce a luxury tax system like the NBA. Trading for retiring/injured players is a joke and Marleau will be another one by the end of the 2018-19 season but right now it's within the rule.

Marleau got 17.5M for 2 years and he gets to play with the best collection of young players on a single team in decades. Not bad.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
And Marleau hasn't hit 50 in two years. Production had gone down the past three years.

Yet, he gets 6.25 and a NMC for three years.

Again Leafs fans: if this was another team you guys would be the first ones to say how awful this deal is.

Totally agree but because it is their team they have such a hard time saying how bad it is.

Lol, haters gonna hate.

Over 1200 posts in a little over two hours tells you all you need to know about this signing, it truly was a great day for Leafs Nation :laugh:

Marleau/Matthews/Nylander = One of the best lines in the game and a already potent PP just got better.

Not everything that gets a lot of attention is a good thing in fact a lot of bad things get more attention.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Lol, Marleau at 35 making 6.25 million.

When Austin Matthews asks for 12 million a year in two years let me know how the cap is working out for you

Probably just fine considering the contracts that are coming off of the books by then.

Thank you for your concern, though.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
From a Habs fan- I like this signing. People seem to be forgetting that Matthews played most of the year with JT f'ing Hyman.

He isn't taking $ off the kids plate and should have at least 1.5 good years left. Leafs seem to have no issues getting guys on to LTIR which is where Marleau will go if his production drops off a cliff.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Totally agree but because it is their team they have such a hard time saying how bad it is.

I dunno, I think it's pretty easy for me to say I don't like the contract.

However, I do like the player. Guess we'll see how this impacts the team down the road, but for now I'm happy he's a Leaf.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Marleau will tutor the young TML stars on what - how to choke during the postseason? Although TSN did write that he has "a winning pedigree" so I guess he does.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Probably just fine considering the contracts that are coming off of the books by then.

Thank you for your concern, though.

Yeah, do people seriously think the Leafs will lose any of Marner, Nylander or Matthews because of Marleau? No chance.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
What a ridiculous overpayment, if they have the cap space the next 3 years i guess its ok but still...

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
And Marleau hasn't hit 50 in two years. Production had gone down the past three years.

Yet, he gets 6.25 and a NMC for three years.

Again Leafs fans: if this was another team you guys would be the first ones to say how awful this deal is.

In what way is this relevant?

Different teams have different needs/plans. If this was 2 years ago and the Leafs made this deal, then most Leaf fans would be laughing right along with you.

While I'm not a huge fan of the term and price, it's not the huge disaster that some are making it out to be.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto

Not everything that gets a lot of attention is a good thing in fact a lot of bad things get more attention.

Not saying this is the best contract ever. I don't think I read a single post here where it said this is a bargain deal.

But again, Leafs do not have issues with Cap whatsoever in two years. So why not try to go for a playoff run with short contracts?

Marleau's deal will end in "2" years. Just enough time for us to sign all our core players. What are the Leafs going to do with extra cap anyways? It's not like we are going to sign Tavares :laugh:

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Good luck to patty! Hopefully he doesn't decline. I wouldn't want that contract at that number on the sharks, but good luck!

Lou and company have ways to make contracts sail off into the sunset (to Robadais Island) :laugh:

Seriously, they will be fine, Marleau being around all that youth and playing with the likes of Matthews, Nylander, Marner etc.... will put up 60 points next year and be a huge leader on and off the ice.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
People like you don't have a clue and just like to Troll.

Marleau's contract is front loaded. His last year only counts 1.75 against the cap. And, he will get 25 or more goals.

Wrong it's a 6.25 cap hit each year it's just the cash that's front loaded ! The cap hit remains the same all there years! And in two years you got to resign Matthews and put a team around him!

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I don't like these rules at all but I also hate the fact Pittsburgh and Chicago won Cups with cap circumventing contracts. They played within the rules.

This loophole likely gets closed after the next CBA.

NHL should just introduce a luxury tax system like the NBA. Trading for retiring/injured players is a joke and Marleau will be another one by the end of the 2018-19 season but right now it's within the rule.

Marleau got 17.5M for 2 years and he gets to play with the best collection of young players on a single team in decades. Not bad.

I think Marleau would have been crazy to turn this deal down. It's too good from his POV. Bc of being able to trade his contract like Detroit did with Datsyuk's, it's good from the Leafs POV too. The timing works out perfectly. That was serendipitous but why not take advantage of it?

I think Marleau will enjoy being a mentor for your younger players, which will help the Leafs. Win-win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad