Proposal: (TOR-NJ) Kerby Rychel, Josh Leivo, Rinat Valiev, Tobias Lindberg for Picks

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Leivo = 2nd/3rd
Rychel = 3rd
Valiev= 5th/6th
Lindberg = 6th/7th

They got Mojo for a second and a third, so you think Shero would pay a second for Leivo?
If he wants Leivo or Rychel he will probobly wait till camp is over and 1 or both beed to pass waivers and he offer a 5th or 6th. I think both need to pass now right?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They got Mojo for a second and a third, so you think Shero would pay a second for Leivo?
If he wants Leivo or Rychel he will probobly wait till camp is over and 1 or both beed to pass waivers and he offer a 5th or 6th. I think both need to pass now right?

Both need waivers yes. I don't think there's a chance Leivo sees waivers, though Rychel could. There's room on a roster with 14 forwards for both of them right now which would require Sosh and Kapanen go down. Sosh is realistic, Kap probably not I think he'll have a spot. But there's been a fair bit of speculation that someone may be on the move so who knows, 1 guy out and it's pretty easy to keep both on the roster.

Valiev and Lindberg are both exempt and both are losing ground on the depth chart here fast. I would probably give them away for a 5th or 6th if anyone would bite.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think Shero would be really hesitant to trade away picks unless it's for core players, like with the Palmieri and Johannson deals.

Devils have all their picks the next 3 drafts, but no additional picks from any other teams. For a team that's still rebuilding, you don't want to go into drafts with few picks. Furthermore, the past two drafts (which have been under Paul Castron as Director of Amateur Scouting) have been very good for the Devils (yes, it's still early - particularly for the most recent one) so I'd be even more hesitant to trade away picks.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Josh Leivo costs $615k this year, MoJo costs $4.6m. Leivo does need waivers, but he's NHL ready and can probably contribute adequately in a middle six role. I imagine that 10+ teams would try and claim a guy who scored 10 points in 13 games last year and is still on his ELC, so it might be worth paying to hop the line. I think the Leafs would really prefer to keep him, but we are exploding at the seams with young wingers, all of whom have upside. Rychel is much more likely to be available on the waiver wire IMO.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Josh Leivo costs $615k this year, MoJo costs $4.6m. Leivo does need waivers, but he's NHL ready and can probably contribute adequately in a middle six role. I imagine that 10+ teams would try and claim a guy who scored 10 points in 13 games last year and is still on his ELC, so it might be worth paying to hop the line. I think the Leafs would really prefer to keep him, but we are exploding at the seams with young wingers, all of whom have upside. Rychel is much more likely to be available on the waiver wire IMO.
I just find it so transparent when you ignore the fact Mojo put up 58 points in 82 games just last year. Why do it?

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off

I really don't see what you're going for here by comparing their salaries. One is a borderline first line winger, the other has yet to establish himself as a borderline NHLer. 10 points in his first 13 games literally means, nothing, and there's no reason for any team to trade Toronto a pick for a player they can most likely get for free :dunno:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If they weren't waiver eligible, maybe. But because they are, I can't see any team giving up a 2nd. I doubt any GM wants to guarantee them a roster spot even if both are clearly ready IMO.

This.

The real question in determining whether these guys have any value to NJ isn't the ability for the Devils to take on their contracts, it's whether or not the Devils have a need for these guys at the bottom of their lineup.

Personally, I can't see any of these guys being worth much more than a 3rd or 4th round pick, simply because there is too great a risk of them being on waivers.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Why are the Leafs dumping these Rychel and Leivo? They may not be sexy names but Rychel and Leivo are likely among the first players who will be called up this season once injuries hit. They may not be star quality talents but both will be solid injury replacements who could play their way on to the roster in the not to distant future.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Every year people think their waiver wire material isn't waiver wire material. Then when they get waived, they think they'll get claimed.

Every year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Leivo is not trash. I'd much rather keep him than trade him for a second. Rychel and Valiev and Lindberg are pretty low quality players though

In isolation... I agree with you... but this is a guy, who because of circumstance, played 13 NHL games last year, and only 18 games in total. Of course, some of that had to do with how healthy the Leafs were... but I personally struggle to see where he fits in a lineup that has the following players ahead of him:
Matthews, Nylander, Marleau, Hyman, Kadri, Brown, Komarov, Marner, Bozak, JvR, Martin & Moore.

That's 12 forwards right there, ignoring of course the guys like Kasperi Kapanen & Nikita Soshnikov who are at similar places on the depth chart.

As of right now, assuming the Leafs carry 8 d, one of Soshnikov/Leivo has to go on waivers anyways, in addition to sending Kapanen down.

That being said, if in fact JvR is on the way out, I personally do like the idea of Leivo stepping into that spot in the lineup with Bozak & Marner. He's got a lethal shot from the left side.

Last edited:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

I think many has learned from Dim Jim, he payed a second for Vey who produced well in AHL (not so much in Kings, but who does?)

A second for a player you don´t really know what he can do is a steep price. And then you have to add the addition of Leivo cant be sent down without loosing your pick all togheter. I rather wait and either use that second in a draft or for a more established player from a capstrapped team (or contractslot-trapped team... hey Leafs)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I just find it so transparent when you ignore the fact Mojo put up 58 points in 82 games just last year. Why do it?

I really don't see what you're going for here by comparing their salaries. One is a borderline first line winger, the other has yet to establish himself as a borderline NHLer. 10 points in his first 13 games literally means, nothing, and there's no reason for any team to trade Toronto a pick for a player they can most likely get for free :dunno:

Devils got an awesome deal for Mojo, he's obviously the better hockey player. So obviously better that I would think a 2nd+3rd was a total highway robbery even for a cap dump. But it's perfectly fair for me to point out that Leivo is an NHL ready middle six player, who could put up 40 points on an ELC this year. There is a chance that he could end up on waivers (which I doubt) and if he does, I think a whole lot of teams would try and claim him, so if a team wants him, they will need to pay to get him. Otherwise he goes to whoever is first on the waiver wire. Whichever team ends up with him (and I hope it's us) will be happy to have an effective young power forward on their roster.

Rychel and Leivo are completely in different classes as players right now. I think we will see Rychel on waivers for sure, while Leivo belongs on an NHL roster this year.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
why are the leafs dumping these rychel and leivo? They may not be sexy names but rychel and leivo are likely among the first players who will be called up this season once injuries hit. They may not be star quality talents but both will be solid injury replacements who could play their way on to the roster in the not to distant future.

w-a-i-v-e-r-s

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I ain't trading Leivo if I'm Toronto's management. Babcock has to figure out he's actually really good and play him first though.

The stuff he does off camera is the reason he's not a mainstay on the Leafs roster.

Your play without the puck matters as much or more than your play with it.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'd like to think VGK could make something work here.

Two conditional 2nds (2018+2019) for the lot. Conditions being the lowest of their 3x 2nds in each year.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I think Leivo stays on the team in a similar role to last year. Where he's the first guy to come in when an injury to a non-PK forward occurs. Last year that only ever happened for a for 10 games or so. I'd expect it to be more regular this year. Really think he can be a 20/20 guy so I hope he does get a shot with us. I'd love for Martin to be the 13th forward so Leivo can get some more regular ice.

He has 7 goals 8 assists in 25 games with us the last two years.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Leivo is in a weird spot. By all accounts he should be a good productive NHL player but hasn't gotten the chance to really play yet. Bad luck with injuries I think was the biggest factor + team performance. Unfortunately it only has gotten harder but he was protected so the Leafs clearly want him.

Rychel is the next most valuable to the Leafs. At worst he is going to be a quality AHL vet going forward but he will get a shot and probably be a 3rd liner for someone.

In my opinion, the other 2 are just dime a dozen prospects at this point. Every team has them and the upside really isn't there. They probably have a year to prove it before they get passed over for other guys to either excel or fail. Moore, Brooks and Timashov are probably going to be entering the make or break years over the next 2 seasons, kind of like what Rychel, Leivo, Valiev, and Lindberg have done already. Gotta cycle guys out at some point.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leivo is in a weird spot. By all accounts he should be a good productive NHL player but hasn't gotten the chance to really play yet. Bad luck with injuries I think was the biggest factor + team performance. Unfortunately it only has gotten harder but he was protected so the Leafs clearly want him.

Rychel is the next most valuable to the Leafs. At worst he is going to be a quality AHL vet going forward but he will get a shot and probably be a 3rd liner for someone.

In my opinion, the other 2 are just dime a dozen prospects at this point. Every team has them and the upside really isn't there. They probably have a year to prove it before they get passed over for other guys to either excel or fail. Moore, Brooks and Timashov are probably going to be entering the make or break years over the next 2 seasons, kind of like what Rychel, Leivo, Valiev, and Lindberg have done already. Gotta cycle guys out at some point.

I can't see too many teams offering up draft picks for players who'll likely be only depth players on your AHL farm team ...and don't all these guys need waivers to be sent to the AHL anyway?....if a team out there was interested in any of them, they'd simply wait for the Leafs to put them on waivers and then make a claim.

But what happened to Lindberg?.....thought he was a very dangerous player in the OHL with Oshawa and won a Memorial Cup....is it his skating, intensity?....really shaping up as a bit of a 'bust'.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think if the Leafs are looking to move a few of the folks on this list, it will be a 3 or 4 prospects for 1 type deal.

I saw someone through a Kyle Wood prospect out there.
Maybe a team like Col, Van, Njd would be willing to do a swap for a D man?
3 lowest scoring teams last year, all of whom could use more young blood.

Id love to target someone like Njd - D. Severson in a deal like this. Good middle pair RHD who has shown flashes of being a legit #4 who plays like a #4-6.

Something around a Leivo/Rychel + Valiev deal.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
All of these guys don't have a spot and are waiver eligible or have been surpassed by a few of our better prospects or Euro signings.

With NJ only being at 33 contracts, this could be a way to add cheap young depth. Leivo and Rychel are NHL ready and waiver eligible, Valiev and Lindberg can be assigned to the AHL.

Leafs are at 49 pro contracts and need to sign Brown and Dzierkals and could use the flexibility.

I wouldn't expect a great return for the Leafs, but what would be the pick(s) that they could receive in this type of deal?

Shero is waiting for Rutherford to waive players, so he can hoard his old picks again.

Also, as a Pens fan, I would be interested in Rychel, if we lose one of Wilson/Kuhnhackl or both in a deal for a 3C, we'll need a guy like him. Also, so he could rebound his career and torment the Jackets while being a Penguin. Good times all around.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Only team that w(sh)ould be willing to give anything much of significance is a

team of low waiver priority
is tight to the cap and could use cheap depth
thinks these guys could step in

Not exactly a thriving market. 4th with conditional upgrade based on GP/P/ re-signing/ whatever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad