Proposal: (TOR-NJ) Kerby Rychel, Josh Leivo, Rinat Valiev, Tobias Lindberg for Picks

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
All of these guys don't have a spot and are waiver eligible or have been surpassed by a few of our better prospects or Euro signings.

With NJ only being at 33 contracts, this could be a way to add cheap young depth. Leivo and Rychel are NHL ready and waiver eligible, Valiev and Lindberg can be assigned to the AHL.

Leafs are at 49 pro contracts and need to sign Brown and Dzierkals and could use the flexibility.

I wouldn't expect a great return for the Leafs, but what would be the pick(s) that they could receive in this type of deal?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It was definitely mentioned in that thread that the Devils still have 9 RFA's to sign, plus they just signed Nico. Again... it's July.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
All of these guys don't have a spot and are waiver eligible or have been surpassed by a few of our better prospects or Euro signings.

With NJ only being at 33 contracts, this could be a way to add cheap young depth. Leivo and Rychel are NHL ready and waiver eligible, Valiev and Lindberg can be assigned to the AHL.

Leafs are at 49 pro contracts and need to sign Brown and Dzierkals and could use the flexibility.

I wouldn't expect a great return for the Leafs, but what would be the pick(s) that they could receive in this type of deal?

They don't need to sign Dzeirkals. He can play his overage year in the Q.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Each of these guys are worth a 2nd round pick or so, maybe a bit less for Lindberg.

I think most teams- especially a rebuilding one like NJ- would much rather keep their 2nd round picks than give them to the Leafs just cuz.

But also OP is basing the Devils need on a false premise.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
I ain't trading Leivo if I'm Toronto's management. Babcock has to figure out he's actually really good and play him first though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Devils are going to have a wealth of young forwards pushing on the team next year. I don't think those guys are much better than giving a guy like John Quenneville or Blake Speers a shot to make the team and they're definitely a step down from McLeod, Hischier, and Zacha who all have a chance to make the team. That's not including Wood/Blandisi/Coleman/Pietila that will all be pushing for bottom-six time as well.

As far as Valiev, Devils have several LD in the same boat as him -- Kapla, Dyblenko, Loov, Mueller.

It doesn't make sense for the Devils to give up assets. Better off giving a shot to the guys within and then look to pray on Toronto if we need an extra body when they have to send some guys down. At that point, Devils would have a better idea where the kids are at.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
At this point I doubt the Leafs deal Lindberg or Valiev. Lindberg is pretty much the only skilled big forward the Leafs have on the Marlies next year. Valiev plays RD, and as much as people want Liljegren to take his spot, I doubt that happens right away. Neither requires waivers, and came off of injury riddled seasons. Much more likely Soshnikov gets dealt because even though that criteria describes him as well (injury-plagued season near the end + waiver exempt), Soshnikov at least has proven he can hack it in the NHL, even if it's just in a bottom 6 role as of right now.

The Leafs may deal Rychel and Leivo (and Soshnikov) for picks, but I am still holding out hope that Bozak and JvR are on their way out so that Leivo and Kapanen at the very least can get into the lineup. Rychel and Soshnikov lost their chance to Marleau.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Rychel or Leivo could likely get you a 2nd or 3rd.

If they weren't waiver eligible, maybe. But because they are, I can't see any team giving up a 2nd. I doubt any GM wants to guarantee them a roster spot even if both are clearly ready IMO.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Why would any GM want to help Toronto out? If there are any players they are interested in that group, they can just wait until the Leafs put them on waivers.

If the Leafs want to send picks with them to NJ I could see it.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I see no instance where the Devs trade picks for forwards at this point.

Top 9 locks: Hall, Palms, Zacha, Zajac, Mojo, Henrique
Remaining 3 spots: Nico, Quenneville, McLeod, Speers, Wood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad