Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
and this is saying a lot but the 5 yr term is the worst part of the deal for the Leafs and the best part of it for the rest of the league...at least at 6 yrs Matthews expires at the same time as Tavares..

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Doesn't buy up any UFA years, and only 5 years for 1.63M more per year than Eichel at 8 years. Not a good deal when you compare it to McDavid or Eichel's deals.

Matthews is set for another big pay day when he turns 27M His agents schooled Dubas with this deal.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Laugh all you like, but to get your superstar signed and clear his head before the playoffs in a contending year is huge.

To avoid any Offersheeting talk is also huge.

To avoid potential playoff MVP raise? Huge.

All that is worth the 500k overpay, which is debatable anyways

Reactions: Julio Jones

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That bonus structure is bad news for many teams looking to sign players...Jesus,50 mil up front...

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
As a Leaf fan:

I love Matthews, kid is legit

That said, I hate this contract.

Seems like Matthews got a high AAV with a sweetheart deal that takes him right to UFA. We lost on both fronts IMO.

If he wanted a five year deal it should have been under 10. If he wanted to touch 12M AAV it should have been for 8 years.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
no? we lose gardiner... who cares?

I said to make it work, as in, to make an all-around viable contender out of this team for next year. Gardiner walks, but what's the defense? Liljegren comes up, let's say, and there's him and Muzzin and Rielly, and...? If they can trade Zaitsev they will, not sure what a deal there would look like. But one of Kapanen, Kadri, Nylander, or Marner won't be around next year I don't think.

It's interesting. It's not like the team is completely screwed like some hope, it's just going to have to be real clever about who stays and who goes, because either the bottom 6 or defense will be a black hole otherwise.

member 157595

There was nothing to negotiate. If someone would pay that much for Matthews, then that's what he can demand (and he did). Elite talents get elite compensation.

This means Matthews + Marner will almost certainly be more than $20M combined, meaning the Leafs almost certainly need to trade Nylander before next season.

I was barking up the trade-Nylander-tree before his contract. Now even more so.

So disappointed. We finally get nice things and we're signing them to contracts that negatively impact our depth.

Reactions: dukeofjive

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It had to be us, HAD to be the ones to first deal with these unreal, overpaid, inflated RFA's...... no cup for 50 GOD DAMN years, and we finally get nice things, and a steady management group (I thought) but it HAD to be us to set the precedent.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I can hear parer being ripped up in the Coyotes office. Must be that offer sheet....

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Paying Matthews an extra $2-$2.5 million a year is worth getting those 3 extra years of control, so I'm not sure why McKenzie is painting the term as a positive. I would have rather had the 3 extra years of Matthews at a stupid cap hit instead of paying him what he should have gotten on an 8 year deal for 5 years.

He’s right about the price though. Both Tavares and Matthews are elite goal scoring centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad