Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 3

How Fair Is This Contract.

• Total voters

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am not sure reading comprehension is your strong suit.

He isn't blaming the Matthews contract on McDavid's signing, Flash. He is suggesting McDavid signing a lower number would have given the Oilers more ability to surround him with talent. Sorry if I forgot to use the crayons and Gantt charts.

That stupid GM has probably forgotten more about hockey than you'll ever know, your 35,000 posts on a message board notwithstanding.

And that's stupid, because McDavid already took way less than he could have considering he got the 4 UFA years. And again, look up "appeal to authority" logical fallacies. The fact that you just keep regurgitating his stupid argument just tells me you can't come up with your own argument.

Reactions: I am not exposed

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Didn't read the past threads, what's the concensus leafs fans? You like this deal? Or is this another McDavid/Oiler situation where depth in the future becomes a question?

Toronto fans should probably blame the depth issue on the Tavares signing not the Matthews extension in my opinion.

I like the deal for both parties. Auston gets an out if they don't make it to the promise land or he decides to leave, the Leafs lock him in at a number they like for five years. With the lockout protections they could do, this makes a lot of sense for both sides. Now they just need to figure out how to get better than the handful of teams they look up at in terms of the pecking order of the league. Fixing the D and no just Muzzin didn't quite get them there is what remains in my opinion.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Do you not think the Dubas, and the team, are well aware of this?

"Kyle, you wouldn't be spending this money on UFAs and RFAs if your 1D wasn't locked up to a sweetheart team deal for the next few years."

Yeah and if Marner signs for similar to Matthews, when Rielly comes up for contract in 3 years, he is going to walk because there is zero chance the Leafs could meet his salary demand with that much money tied up in the forward group.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

No, it's not making an assumption, it's going off of what LeBrun and McKenzie said. They would have 100% been better off with Matthews having 3 extra years of control for the extra money that he was rumored to be after. You extend your cup window by 3 years by having Matthews under contract for those additional 3 years, since he'll be very underpaid at $13.5 or whatever million in years 6-8 of that deal.

There is a borderline 0% chance that his next contract is in the same range as this one. I almost guarantee he'll be closer to $20 million than what he's at now.

Those tweets agree with my position, not yours. They sacrificed term for flexibility, they seem to be shying away from the long term extensions.

theblackadder

Dec 27, 2016
I'd say Dumbass is going to regret this contract in 3 years, but he wont be around as leaf manager.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
And that's stupid, because McDavid already took way less than he could have considering he got the 4 UFA years. And again, look up "appeal to authority" logical fallacies. The fact that you just keep regurgitating his stupid argument just tells me you can't come up with your own argument.

Sure I can. I'm a Leaf fan, and I'm pleased with the deal and the fact that they are going to be able to resign all the RFAs when everyone told us Dubas couldn't do it.

Kyle Dubas is smarter than all of you. That's my argument.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The cap hit isn't the problem, it's the term. They got 3 fewer years of control on Matthews and didn't save enough money to justify the decision, that's a bad deal for them.
I prefer the 5 years, personally. ELC of 3 years + 5 year bridge + 8 year re-sign for a total of 16 years rather than 3+8+8 that takes them to their very late 30's...much preferred.

Reactions: stonewalled

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I prefer the 5 years, personally. ELC of 3 years + 5 year bridge + 8 year re-sign for a total of 16 years rather than 3+8+8 that takes them to their very late 30's...much preferred.

I'd wait until I see what Matthews is signing for in 5 years before I make that claim.

Sure I can. I'm a Leaf fan, and I'm pleased with the deal and the fact that they are going to be able to resign all the RFAs when everyone told us Dubas couldn't do it.

Kyle Dubas is smarter than all of you. That's my argument.

Damn, you're just full of "appeal to authority" logical fallacies. I guess you have no place to criticize Mike Milburry for destroying the Islanders franchise because he was a GM and you weren't.

Those tweets agree with my position, not yours. They sacrificed term for flexibility, they seem to be shying away from the long term extensions.

And I think that was a bad decision. Which is what I've been saying in this entire thread.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I don't even think the cap hit here is the problem, it's that the Leafs only got him for 5 years. They should have just paid him more to get those additional 3 UFA years, Matthews at $13.5 million for 8 years is better than Matthews at $11.6 million for 5 years. Sure, he'd be overpaid, but having those extra 3 years of control is way more important than getting the cap hit down by $2 million a year.
It was obviously to keep a contending team together, that 2.5m difference could be the difference in having a Kapanen around than having an AHL player in his place.

Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Getzlaf, Perry etc all took this route, we'll worry about his next hit in 5 1/2 years.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
5 year deal lmao. This is an overpayment. 11.6 would’ve been fair if it was over 7-8 years.

No idea what Marner signs for now.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Boy Dumbass sure got hosed on that deal. Matthews makes out like a bandit, never scored 70 points and injury prone. Marner is worth more and a better hockey player, so things should get interesting soon. Didn't think anyone could compete with Chiarelli for complete buffoon moves, but this one is a good start.

Reactions: dukeofjive

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
So McDavid should have taken less than Matthews on his contract, despite him being way better and signing for an additional 3 UFA years? Amazing insight as usual from Brian Lawton.

Lawton is an idiot. McDavid signed for 8 years, which included 4 UFA years. To say he should have taken $11 million, when Matthews is making more when being a worse player and on a shorter deal, is bat **** stupid.
I think maybe he was talking about a shorter term deal like 5 years

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No, it's really not ridiculous and short sighted. Having Matthews for 3 years at a $13.5 million cap hit is better than having him for a $20 million cap hit in those same years. The argument I'm trying to make is that the Leafs should have paid Matthews more to get those 3 additional years, I thought that was really clear.

The difference of an $11.6 million cap hit and a $13.5 million cap hit isn't going to be the difference between an "elite" team and a "good" team.
I'm good with the 5 year 58 million dollar contract, as opposed to the 8 year 108 million dollar contract you suggest. It's less of a gamble for the Leafs. Less security for Mathews. Will guarantee Mathews gives 110 percent because he will have that next contract in his mind. There is little chance he looks at it as retirement deal and the wheels just fall off his game. Good deal as far as I'm concerned.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Boy Dumbass sure got hosed on that deal. Matthews makes out like a bandit, never scored 70 points and injury prone. Marner is worth more and a better hockey player, so things should get interesting soon. Didn't think anyone could compete with Chiarelli for complete buffoon moves, but this one is a good start.
Based on your previous posts your opinion does not hold any merit

We’re not going to lose him to UFA like some broke teams lmao. He’ll be traded if need be but I think he’ll be re-signed anyway. The presser is worth a watch too.

Reactions: Julio Jones

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
If I was a leafs fan I’d be pissed.

The cap # is as high as anyone would have thought. 12 million + was considered too much and unreasonable by all (including leaf fans) he signed for just under that and for only 5 years.....gross.

You guys honestly think that Marner is going to be only 10 ish after this contract....lol....not a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad