Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I’m guessing these guys might not be super happy if they get to their next contract and they want term but the team only wants to pay them until they are 30, then go league minimum from then on?

I mean, it’s possible we start seeing some short term UFA deals in the next 10 years if teams start paying their RFA’s big bucks

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Isn't Barrie's cap hit this year like $2.5?
2.75m

So you think that replacing Muzzin with a guy on an ELC (and those $ going to Barrie) isn't going to result in a drop off? Good luck with that.
Muzzin is likely replaced by Dermott, who will not be on his ELC. Dermott will likely be replaced by Sandin, a great prospect who has been playing top-pairing D in the AHL as a teenager. Leafs, like literally all teams in the league, will need their young players to not all completely fall off a cliff, yes.

And I agree that is likely to happen, bust can't think that losing Muzzin can be written off as "not a big deal".
It's not that losing Muzzin is "not a big deal", though according to most around here, actually obtaining him and adding him to the team wasn't a big deal...

It's that the Leafs core is entering their prime and they have some good players/prospects ready to fill spots/increase their roles, and I don't see how losing him would have devastating effects when they were a good team before adding him, and they have pieces that a lot of teams would kill for.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Anyone, and especially Oilers fans, chirping in this thread about overpaying good players, at least the Leafs are capped out with a good team, a team like the Oilers are capped out with a garbage team around McDavid and Draisaitl..

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
It was a long, emotional process, but it feels amazing to have the best young core in hockey locked up.

This will probably be the best Leaf team many of us will have ever seen, and I couldn't be more excited!

I'd understand your optimism if your core included a stronger blue line, byt ymmv.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Anyone, and especially Oilers fans, chirping in this thread about overpaying good players, at least the Leafs are capped out with a good team, a team like the Oilers are capped out with a garbage team around McDavid and Draisaitl..
Wait, so you're saying spending $20 million on Neal, Gagner, Russell, Manning and Koskinen is a bad idea?

Seems foolproof to me

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
2.75m

Muzzin is likely replaced by Dermott, who will not be on his ELC. Dermott will likely be replaced by Sandin, a great prospect who has been playing top-pairing D in the AHL as a teenager. Leafs, like literally all teams in the league, will need their young players to not all completely fall off a cliff, yes.

It's not that losing Muzzin is "not a big deal", though according to most around here, actually obtaining him and adding him to the team wasn't a big deal...

It's that the Leafs core is entering their prime and they have some good players/prospects ready to fill spots/increase their roles, and I don't see how losing him would have devastating effects when they were a good team before adding him, and they have pieces that a lot of teams would kill for.

No offense, but I see a lot of optimism in threads. Dermott is already on this year's team, so effectively the Leafs would be losing Muzzin and having the replacement on the roster be a guy on an ELC. A highly thought of prospect - sure. But highly thought of prospects either bust, or take time to develop a hell of a lot more often than they immediately contribute.

And I get there is a lot of naysayers about the Leafs right now. I just hope the organization has the pipeline ready to supply cheap contributors going forward.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Dubas managed to talk him down.

it just seems really chintzy when you get to that level of money to argue over 107k, i would have given him that extra just to inflate his ego that is is on par with Tavares and Matthews as a 11M dollar guy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I previously said that the Leaf's cap space issues will start next year but that's actually incorrect. They'll actually start in November when Dermott & Hyman come off LTIR and Dubas has to dump $3.1M from the current lineup to make room for them since the Leafs currently have zero cap space.

I assume the Leafs will waive LD Harpur @ $725,000 to make room for Dermott and then also waive fwd Mikheyev @$925,000 which clears $1.65M off the roster.... but Dubas will still need to clear another $1.45M. Waive two more players with salaries totaling $1.45M???

If Dubas does that he'll end up with a 21 player roster with ZERO cap space cushion in case of injuries (the non-LTIR type). Some people on here are dumb enough to say that if there's are injuries (and yes, there will be injuries) Dubas will just bring someone up from the minors... Sorry... he can't do that if they are short term injuries because doing that makes the Leafs non cap compliant because the Leafs have ZERO cap space

Let the cap dance and the bobbing and weaving begin. I look forward to the show.

Reactions: No One Ever

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No offense, but I see a lot of optimism in threads.
I see a lot of optimism in everybody else's threads about everybody else's players and prospects except the Leafs.

Dermott is already on this year's team, so effectively the Leafs would be losing Muzzin and having the replacement on the roster be a guy on an ELC.
That's one way to look at it I guess, even though that prospect wouldn't be expected to fill that role that is being lost.

A highly thought of prospect - sure. But highly thought of prospects either bust, or take time to develop a hell of a lot more often than they immediately contribute.
Highly thought of defensive prospects either bust or take a ton of time to contribute after making the NHL? I don't agree with that. Have you looked around the league? They may hit their primes later, but they can still contribute, especially in, once again, a bottom pairing role.

People vastly overrate the quality of the average bottom pairing defenseman. Was Tampa doomed by Sergachev and Cernak playing roles on their team in their season that challenges for all-time best ever? Was Boston doomed by McAvoy joining them as a teenager, only to become their #1 D? Were the Leafs doomed when they added Dermott? Is Colorado doomed? They just traded away the guy who led their D in ice time by 5 minutes in the playoffs to go all-in on a bunch of ELC guys in much bigger roles, but I see no talk about them.

I just hope the organization has the pipeline ready to supply cheap contributors going forward.
All current indications are that they do. Their 2 best prospects are in their biggest position of need. They have 1-2 good, young goalie prospects. They have a top winger prospect. The only place they arguably lack a high-end prospect is center, and they have two of the best centers in the world locked up for the next 5+ years.

That's the best part. They don't need any of their guys to be the next great thing (even though they very well could be), because they already have those guys on their team with term in their prime.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
it just seems really chintzy when you get to that level of money to argue over 107k, i would have given him that extra just to inflate his ego that is is on par with Tavares and Matthews as a 11M dollar guy

If you apply this to every contract though, it adds up to millions in cap savings. Which is why it is valuable.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Okay. Keep telling yourself that when the other deals come in significantly cheaper.

Even if they do that's not going to change the fact the Leafs have one of the best young cores in the league locked up long term and are set for a long run at cup contending because of it.

Be happy if you're a TB fan and Point signs for less. Be happy if you're a COL fan and Rantanen signs for less. Leaf fans couldn't be happier with how our roster is looking for the next 5 years. People just need to stop trying to force imaginary problems down our throats and worry about their own team.

Unless the league has implemented a rule I'm not aware of preventing teams from trading players to other teams, then having too many star players to fit under the cap is not what I'd exactly call a problem. It's the type of scenario every team would like to find themselves in. There's a reason you don't see many teams with that much money locked into three players and it's not because Dubas is bad at negotiating or because you can't win that way; it's because most teams in the league don't have three players of that caliber.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It was a long, emotional process, but it feels amazing to have the best young core in hockey locked up.

This will probably be the best Leaf team many of us will have ever seen, and I couldn't be more excited!

Weren't you arguing that Marner didn't deserve anywhere close to Matthews or Tavares money? Or am I mixing you up with another Leaf fan?

Because I'm pretty sure one of you guys who was a constant in those various Marner threads poo-poo'd my suggestion that he'd probably end up getting around what Tavares got, saying that would be overpayment.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
They are effective top pairing defensemen on a good Marlies team before most defensemen can even play in the AHL. They are both probably ready for that responsibility right now, and I see Liljegren getting the call-up halfway through the year if not starting (he likely would have been up halfway through last year if not for the injury). Next year they should be more than ready unless one of them hits an absolute wall in development, which there are no signs of.

People somehow have this idea that the average bottom-pairing defensemen is better than they are.

Kivihalme is also another potential option. He's currently 24, has played in men's leagues, and looks promising.

Dermott takes Muzzin's spot. We need to replace Ceci.

"We get to replace Ceci"

Fixed it for you.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Are you sure this is a good team? Up to 10 players making less than 1m salary, doesn't scream good team but will see. That first-round draft pick they traded away to sign Marner may be higher then anyone wants to admit...

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Weren't you arguing that Marner didn't deserve anywhere close to Matthews or Tavares money? Or am I mixing you up with another Leaf fan?
Marner didn't deserve Matthews money, and he didn't get it.

I was the one constantly proving, with substantial evidence, that Marner and Matthews are better than everybody gives them credit for. This is probably a couple hundred thousand more than I'd like, but that's a pretty meaningless amount in the grand scheme of things, and a pretty bad reason to not be excited about an amazing team.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Matthews and Marner are scum bags for not taking any sort of discounts. But credit to Dubas for keeping all of these young talented players, even if he drastically overpaid. We will see if the top-heavy lineup can win.
Yes, Dubas is the man, let's play with a 20 man roster this year, with up to 10 players making less than 1m, and no way to improve if something needs to be changed. Who cares what happens next year when they say bye to Barrie and Muzzin, bye to Rielly and Anderson the year after... but the good news is they will sign Dermot to a 7-yearX7m contract with a 20 point season next year.

Last edited:

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019

Basically how I view the Leafs. None of their players took discounts, but those players are really (really) good.

If that is the case why not just give them all league max then??? No need to ever negotiate or have s hold outs if it is that simple!

Clammer

Dec 4, 2008
Lol it’s as if some people really think that Pridham didn’t ok the marner deal and has a plan in store for the cap. I get the desktop jockies thinking they know more about the cap then the guy that wrote it, but seriously I trust that they projected this ever since they explained to Tavares how they were gonna keep all their kids. Leafs sign Tavares, oh no how are they gonna keep the kids? They sign the big 3 and kap and johnsson, oh no what about the defense? It’s just gonna keep rolling and they will keep putting out fires

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Are you sure this is a good team? Up to 10 players making less than 1m salary, doesn't scream good team but will see. That first-round draft pick they traded away to sign Marner may be higher they anyone wants to admit...

Are you being serious here? You don't consider a roster with Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Barrie, Muzzin, Dermott, Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Hyman and Andersen on it a good team? You could fill those remaining slots with my barely able to skate beer league buddies and that'd still be better than a pile of teams in the league.

Reactions: sd1976

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Lol it’s as if some people really think that Pridham didn’t ok the marner deal and has a plan in store for the cap. I get the desktop jockies thinking they know more about the cap then the guy that wrote it, but seriously I trust that they projected this ever since they explained to Tavares how they were gonna keep all their kids. Leafs sign Tavares, oh no how are they gonna keep the kids? They sign the big 3 and kap and johnsson, oh no what about the defense? It’s just gonna keep rolling and they will keep putting out fires
And someday they will even win a playoff series with that strategy. They may not have to worry about winning a playoff series this year though, doesn't look good making those playoff with up to 10 players making less than 1m on that roster. That draft pick they gave up to sign Marner, maybe at a lot higher than there strategy called for...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes, Dubas is the man, let's play with a 20 man roster this year, with up to 10 players making less than 1m, and no way to improve if something needs to be changed. Who cares what happens next year when they say bye to Barrie and Muzzin, bye to Rielly and Anderson the year after... but the good news is they will sign Dermot to a 7-yearX7m contract with a 20 point season next year.

Imo biggest myth in hockey is that quality depth has to be expensive.

The Leafs bottom six lines are considerably better today than they were last season. It's a waste of capspace to spend more than league minimum on the 4th line guys

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, obviously part of the master plan to ice a 20 man roster and pray for no injuries. He's playing chess and were playing checkers. and, this team hasnt actually won anything

Reactions: compan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad