Post-Game Talk: TOR loses 8th in last 11 | TOR 2 OTT 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I genuinely think this is the most mind-numbing and cancerous this board has ever been. We're going through a prolonged rough stretch, primarily due to a few lacklustre outings, a couple of critical injuries on defence, and most of all an incomprehensibly bad PDO. These things happen, every team goes through adversity throughout a season - especially teams with as many young players as us. This is truly a new low for some of the people in this fan base. When everything clicks and we come out like a house on fire in Round 1, I hope these people have enough pride to shut their mouths and not enjoy it with the rest of us, they sure as hell don't deserve it :laugh:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Leafs lose 'Battle of Ontario' with not so much as a whimper!

Pathetic bunch of capital L LOSERS!

f*** you Leafs!

Yeah, still very much pissed and angry!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I still believe that keeping Sparks was the correct decision, it hasn't worked out but sometimes that happens and betting on the younger guy with his AHL numbers was an acceptable risk imo

Did you see the 4-2 We gave up on the 3rd goal? the forwards on this team are a defensive embarrassment and our defensemen are prone to making monumentally bad errors

Anybody that watches this team and doesn't have a problem with how we defend needs to watch closer

How can you believe keeping Sparks was the correct choice when the evidence has proven otherwise?

The lesson here is ALWAYS go with the best guy.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
What the hell?

Over an 82 game season, Nylander is on pace for 10 goals, and 42 points this season. Marner is on pace for 27 goals, 96 points. Substantially more than DOUBLE for both.

I mean, those are the REAL projections. Not "zone entries" and other complete and other bull****.

When you look at other aav comparables of similar age, Nylanders' been a complete joke this season.
Larkin 35 goals/76 point pace over 82 (6.1 cap hit). Pastrnak 42 goals/100 point pace (6.6 cap hit).
It's a JOKE.

ENOUGH of the god damn excuses. ENOUGH of them.

Lol you fickle emotional fans are becoming more and more of a joke

- Who has an average TOI of 19:46 and who has one of 15:30? 4+minutes more a game?
- Who plays with Matthews, Tavares, Kadri and Rielly on the PP and who plays with Muzzin, Ennis, Marleau, Johnsson, Moore, plugs, etc?
- Who has played with 86 points Tavares all season and who has played with 28 point Brown and 37 point Marleau for most of his?

Hopefully, while you're answering those questions something clicks in that head of yours. Maybe just maybe you'll be able to understand what context means and how it applies to this discussion, I have my doubt's.

No one is arguing Nylander hasn't had the greatest of seasons but as of late he has been keeping pace with Marner (over the past 11 games). Of course you emotional cry babies don't care that he has 10 points in the last 11 games. If you acknowledge he's been putting up points next to a star center the same way Marner has your whole flawed narrative will hold even less weight than it currently does. So instead of talking about how Nylander has been more than fine as of late, let's talk about how he didn't produce earlier in the season. I mean his pace earlier in the season is a much better indication of how he'll perform in the playoffs right?

How you people are coming up with this stuff I'll never know.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How can you believe keeping Sparks was the correct choice when the evidence has proven otherwise?

The lesson here is ALWAYS go with the best guy.

No, from an asset management POV we made the correct decision

We kept the younger kid with upside

It didn't work out but that doesn't mean it wasn't the correct decision to make at the time with the evidence available to us

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Keeping Sparks was the correct thought process, but the results prove that it was the incorrect decision.

If you run that decision through with 100 goalies with identical ages/track records, the Sparks call works out more than 50% of the time. I'm not surprised people are furious that one coin flip landed the wrong way.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This team is pathetic. Is this team even worth buying a ticket for in the playoffs? might as well flop on buying tickets like how the team flopped on us. how great would that be? if every fan for Game 3 & 4 was a Bruins fan. I for one, Don't think I can watch them this playoffs. not looking forward to being crushed in every aspect of the game against Boston.
Team forgot how to play hockey. Pathetic.
They go as far as their talent takes them. Not an inch farther.

Reactions: Oley49

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I genuinely think this is the most mind-numbing and cancerous this board has ever been. We're going through a prolonged rough stretch, primarily due to a few lacklustre outings, a couple of critical injuries on defence, and most of all an incomprehensibly bad PDO. These things happen, every team goes through adversity throughout a season - especially teams with as many young players as us. This is truly a new low for some of the people in this fan base. When everything clicks and we come out like a house on fire in Round 1, I hope these people have enough pride to shut their mouths and not enjoy it with the rest of us, they sure as hell don't deserve it :laugh:
Might be the 15 years without winning a round. Play offs are coming. Not exactly the time of year the leafs shine. Some bad play for a month has them edgy. You really that surprised?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If you run that decision through with 100 goalies with identical ages/track records, the Sparks call works out more than 50% of the time. I'm not surprised people are furious that one coin flip landed the wrong way.
keeping both Sparks and McBackup at the possible cost of losing one of Holl/Marincin would have been the right play, sure carrying 3 goalies isn't ideal, but in hindsight it would have worked out much better. Dubas gambled on Sparks being up to the challenge, it was yet another rookie mistake.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Keeping Sparks is just a sign of what a forward thinking management group with an eye towards developing players is going to do. You favour the young player that you've spent time developing who has some upside vs the veteran who you picked up on waivers. Just so happens that Sparks may be technically flawed and not well equipped to thrive in the NHL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
keeping both Sparks and McBackup at the possible cost of losing one of Holl/Marincin would have been the right play, sure carrying 3 goalies isn't ideal, but in hindsight it would have worked out much better. Dubas gambled on Sparks being up to the challenge, it was yet another rookie mistake.

Holl and Marincin were likely seen as more important depth/insurance for the blueline, but their lack of use also meant they stagnated over the course of the season and weren't really at a level that could help the team when called upon.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Holl and Marincin were likely seen as more important depth/insurance for the blueline, but their lack of use also meant they stagnated over the course of the season and weren't really at a level that could help the team when called upon.
whatever, the fact remains keeping McBackup and possibly losing 1 of Holl/Marincin was the right move, too bad the GM thought both guys were future Norris candidates............

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Carrick was better than both combined.

Reactions: TML11 and rumman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
whatever, the fact remains keeping McBackup and possibly losing 1 of Holl/Marincin was the right move, too bad the GM thought both guys were future Norris candidates............

People may disagree but I think Babcock wanted to keep... Carrick Leivo and McBackup.

Babs actually looked irritated when Leivo got traded. See Babs just wanted him as depth and Dubas would not allow it. Carrick was also given the same chance to play. Holl Sparks Lindy and Mari were all Dubas guys.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't get the level of frustration with the back up position and what happened over the course of the season. If the Leafs have fallen short of where they should be at this point, this is pretty low on the pecking order and should be remedied pretty easily in the offseason.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
People may disagree but I think Babcock wanted to keep... Carrick Leivo and McBackup.

Babs actually looked irritated when Leivo got traded. See Babs just wanted him as depth and Dubas would not allow it. Carrick was also given the same chance to play. Holl Sparks Lindy and Mari were all Dubas guys.
I'll go with the coaches choices over the GM's in this case.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The way they handled Leivo was a bit perplexing. He seemed to have upped his work rate and was at least a useful depth player. Don't know why they bothered to acquire Michael Carcone. He's like a small, non prospect with no upside or AHL production.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't get the level of frustration with the back up position and what happened over the course of the season. If the Leafs have fallen short of where they should be at this point, this is pretty low on the pecking order and should be remedied pretty easily in the offseason.
one could argue that if the Leafs kept McBackup, Babcock would have given him more starts than he felt comfortable giving Sparks, leading to a fresher Anderson, resulting in drastically reducing the odds of the post All Star game slump the team is currently experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad