Post-Game Talk: TOR loses 8th in last 11 | TOR 2 OTT 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You mean he gave a logical token answer? Why get frustrated over that? You should expect it from any pro coach

Yes, Babs being Babs. I am not frustrated but I was surprised because it was blatant bs to me this time. It is a long season I guess. Even good pro coaches have lapses.

member 262271

A lot of equity across the league. The fact we haven't clinched but are 6th overall shows that. Many years this would have clinched already
Thats a much better way of putting it. I’m sure ROW helps too.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yes, Babs being Babs. I am not frustrated but I was surprised because it was blatant bs to me this time. It is a long season I guess. Even good pro coaches have lapses.
Lapses by given the stock answer? Come on. It's the perfect answer to give and what anyone with half a brain should expect a pro coach to say.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
We just lost to the ******* Sens, have lost 8 of our last 11 games, were also finding ways to lose games were completely dominating

If anybody can find anything positive about that I'd love to see it
maybe babcock is on his way out.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Lol no. Shanahan will talk to him and he will tell the truth. Something like, I said I needed more heavy players and some more skill and he got me Petan. He paid AM the moon and overpaid Nylander as well and I am about to lose Jake Gardiner, have Muzzin for a year and then a bunch of other good players need paid.

Dubas is toast before Babs. For sure.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

I hope so. Time to move on from this ego maniac clown of a coach. He has ZERO clue what he’s doing. Freddy should of started this game, secure the 2 points to clinch 3rd in the Atlantic, and then start sparks in the last 3 meaningless games point wise.

Now we got worry about beating good teams to clinch still. Absolutely horrible coach. Did I mention he’s the highest paid in the league too?

Reactions: ToMaLe

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Lol no. Shanahan will talk to him and he will tell the truth. Something like, I said I needed more heavy players and some more skill and he got me Petan. He paid AM the moon and overpaid Nylander as well and I am about to lose Jake Gardiner, have Muzzin for a year and then a bunch of other good players need paid.

babs will be long gone before dubas, book it!

Reactions: IPS

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Sheldon Keefe promoted to HC Toronto Maple Leafs

Mike Babcock promoted to Executive VP and Consultant Coaches, Scouting and player development, Special Assistant to the President

problem solved

Last edited:

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Shanahan will get toasted and he will fall with Dubler Dubas if he stays with him. It was big mistake to promote a millennial brat boy and he will ruin this team for years.

Reactions: rumman

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Where is the myth coming from that he wants big heavy players? He benched Martin the whole second half last year

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Both Dubas and Babcock are fine.

This is even dumber than Reimer vs. Bernier in that the two options have been good.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Still a Babs fan but I am not sure whether he is losing his mind or is just plain BSing us because he thinks we are dumb. When asked if the boys would want to win Monday's game vs Isles for JT he said the boys want to win all their games. Sure Babs.

I'm sure they'd like to win that game against the NYI for several reasons. Sure because of Tavares, but hopefully also to guarantee the playoff spot. Nothing necessarily wrong with attaching an increased sense of meaning to a particular game, as long as it doesn't imply that any other of the 81 games is meaningless. Playing for this season or next season, on a team level. Playing for a spot on the team or a/another contract on a player level. No game should ever lack meaning.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Babcock is a relic. Don't think he is getting the most out of this group. I don't trust him to come up with a successful game plan on order to beat Boston.

Nope me either. He will stick to what failed last year - Hainsey Rielly on against top line. Over the top line matching, not utilizing weapons enough....

Gsh

Oct 14, 2018
Wow...... some of the comments on this thread are absolutely embarrassing. No wonder other fan bases make fun of us.

Reactions: hoglund

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I'm sure they'd like to win that game against the NYI for several reasons. Sure because of Tavares, but hopefully also to guarantee the playoff spot. Nothing necessarily wrong with attaching an increased sense of meaning to a particular game, as long as it doesn't imply that any other of the 81 games is meaningless. Playing for this season or next season, on a team level. Playing for a spot on the team or a/another contract on a player level. No game should ever lack meaning.

Teams usually play a lot more casually right after they clinched a spot. There's a chance that Isles won't bring their A game tomorrow.

That said, I still think the Isles will destroy the Leafs tomorrow.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If Leafs fans take a step back, they'll see that building a cup winner is not a one year project and firing a GM and or coach in the midst of the building is often the sign of a dysfunctional program and not one building towards sustainable winning.

2019 doesn't really look like it's gelling and we need to clean up the cap structure of old contracts so there's room to build up the blueline. There's a good flow of prospects in the system and our top end talent is extremely productive but has room to round out their game. In the medium to long term, things still look amazing, but we may not be in a great position to go far this year.

Take a deep breath, observe and plan to move ahead.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Leafs fans take a step back, they'll see that building a cup winner is not a one year project and firing a GM and or coach in the midst of the building is often the sign of a dysfunctional program and not one building towards sustainable winning.

2019 doesn't really look like it's gelling and we need to clean up the cap structure of old contracts so there's room to build up the blueline. There's a good flow of prospects in the system and our top end talent is extremely productive but has room to round out their game. In the medium to long term, things still look amazing, but we may not be in a great position to go far this year.

Take a deep breath, observe and plan to move ahead.

If Dubas doesn't balance this team we won't ever win. He had an opportunity to keep the cap in check and not overpay. To get some grit or rework the D and even keep a better tender. He sort of failed at everything.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Babcock is a relic. Don't think he is getting the most out of this group. I don't trust him to come up with a successful game plan on order to beat Boston.

I would agree that there's a disconnect of sorts between the coaching staff and the players and the Leafs aren't playing to their optimum level. However, as much as a lot of Babcockisms can be frustrating, I think he's still the key to molding this team into the right winning program and it's the players that need to "get it".

If we were to imagine a coaching change and a different system, how would things be different? How does this group want to win? Is it a 6-5 run and gun track meet? If you look at the way Tampa and Washington have evolved the past 2 years, it's basically a high skill game that can roll with the Bruins in all situation play. It isn't running and gunning your way to success.

In short, the way the players seem to want to win is not how actual contenders win.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Teams usually play a lot more casually right after they clinched a spot. There's a chance that Isles won't bring their A game tomorrow.

That said, I still think the Isles will destroy the Leafs tomorrow.

I probably should have written that stakes are highest until the playoff spot and seed are fully locked in. I'd hope the Leafs aren't taking NYI lightly. Even though the odds aren't favourable, they could still catch up to Washington, or be passed by Pittsburgh.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Dubas doesn't balance this team we won't ever win. He had an opportunity to keep the cap in check and not overpay. To get some grit or rework the D and even keep a better tender. He sort of failed at everything.

A lot of Dubas' moves are frustrating: I personally don't care about drafting more specialized small skill guys like SDA, I don't really like Petan, I don't like Carcone, I think Ennis has been productive, but we probably could have a better mix of two way play lower on the depth chart, and I think it's silly to support Marner, Johnsson and Nylander with even smaller, less skilled guys. That's not how you bring a balanced roster to the playoffs.

That said, a GM's job in building a winner occurs over many years, not many months. This current Tampa Bay team started building in 2008. Steve Yzerman was brought in in 2011 and it's taken 8 years of his building to get to where Tampa is currently. Dubas has been on the job for 8 months. You don't solve everything in that short a run.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, people see what they want to see. The difference between Nylander and Marner is that Marner is putting up points which gives him a hall pass. One goal per month does not go over well for a player who held out. Winning helps but we are not so Nylander becomes the lightning rod.
this plug wanted Draisaitl money, too funny, incredibly funny, so funny it's sad. Can't wait until his next contract negotiation............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad