Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Nick Ritchie (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
This is mega huge get by the maple leafs! Thank you TO THE WHOLE ORGANIZATION! At last a thuggish ruggish bone, who hast they weight of heavy. He really does have that body. Still scoring on the powerplay, what!!! :clap: WE DID IT!! :leafs: :maple leafs: :maple leaf: Our team is set and ready!
what? no "sires" or "twerks" or whatever bs you usually say?

Reactions: 96

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Crazy thing is i recall wheeler had pretty low value while in Boston ... If I remember correctly people scoffed at him possibly being a big piece in the Kaberle trade. Remember people seemingly bring happier to get Colborne at the time. Could be wrong though it's a long time now.
No, you’re definitely right. That I remember clearly.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
What's interesting is that Toronto finally has a tougher team than the Bruins (If Kurtis Gabriel plays)
Do they? Ritchie isn't really tough, just big. Part of the reason the Bruins were fine letting him walk is because he doesn't actually bring much toughness to the table. Just stands in front of the net, and for every tip in goal he scores he'll also get called for a goalie interference.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Do they? Ritchie isn't really tough, just big. Part of the reason the Bruins were fine letting him walk is because he doesn't actually bring much toughness to the table. Just stands in front of the net, and for every tip in goal he scores he'll also get called for a goalie interference.
Ritchie isn’t tough :laugh: he could rag doll any player on your roster. As could Gabriel.

The Bruins are a soft team now.

Reactions: Dirk316

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Yes he is and he's a dangerous fighter
Take a look at your roster wow is it soft especially for a Bruins team
The defense might be among the softest in the league. Sad what's happening to your franchise

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
The defense might be among the softest in the league. Sad what's happening to your franchise
I'm fine with it. I've watched Ritchie enough to know he's not a threat. And teams ebb and flow, if the Bruins have a down year, so be it. At least they've won a Cup in my lifetime, that's all I needed to see. The rest is gravy.

Reactions: SyZyGY and Knies iT

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While Ritchie certainly has his faults, I think a lot of people in this thread may be underrating just how good of a fit he might be in Toronto.

Toronto should have what is consistently one of the best powerplays in the league with the talent they have up front. It struggles immensely because it's 1-dimensional. There's nobody to screen the goalie, nobody to pick up the trash, nobody to make scoring from within 10 feet of the net a concern for other teams.

That's a big part of Ritchie's game. If the Leafs use him right, it could/should create a powerplay that is nearly impossible to defend. To me, that powerplay time alone should give him the confidence and help him work into a top 6 role with the Leafs.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
And yet, if Philadelphia was in the North Division, they still would have missed the playoffs.
The guy is a bruins fan, or something.

When a fan is too scared to show what team they root for, only what team or city they hate?

Bitch shit. Don't pay attention to bitches.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
While Ritchie certainly has his faults, I think a lot of people in this thread may be underrating just how good of a fit he might be in Toronto.

Toronto should have what is consistently one of the best powerplays in the league with the talent they have up front. It struggles immensely because it's 1-dimensional. There's nobody to screen the goalie, nobody to pick up the trash, nobody to make scoring from within 10 feet of the net a concern for other teams.

That's a big part of Ritchie's game. If the Leafs use him right, it could/should create a powerplay that is nearly impossible to defend. To me, that powerplay time alone should give him the confidence and help him work into a top 6 role with the Leafs.

Yup he can play some Tim Kerr Hockey. Tim Kerr use to score 50 a year for the Flyers and if you added up the distance of how far all the shots traveled it would have been 15 feet. He didn't have a hockey Stick he had a putter. He couldn't skate at all and he wasn't a physical player. He was just big and couldn't be moved from the front of the net.

I am not a huge fan of Richie but as you say he could be the perfect fit for this team.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Yes for the 20% of time that he is physically engaged he is an absolute force. The other 80% he's floating around with that dumb look on his face. His game is extremely unreliable, and that's being polite. IF he can fix that, the dude absolutely has the skillset to be a force in every facet of the game sans defense, but we've been saying that for years.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Ritchie isn’t tough :laugh: he could rag doll any player on your roster. As could Gabriel.

The Bruins are a soft team now.
Could, but won't lol. That's the biggest issue with him. His best asset is his size and strength and he never uses it cause he's lazy.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Crazy thing is i recall wheeler had pretty low value while in Boston ... If I remember correctly people scoffed at him possibly being a big piece in the Kaberle trade. Remember people seemingly bring happier to get Colborne at the time. Could be wrong though it's a long time now.

We were pretty high on Colborne, but no even at that time Wheeler had massive upside. I could be wrong but I think he was playing the 3rd line in Boston, I remember my brother and I always watching him and thinking this guy is a stud if he just got more ice time. Same thing with Giroux, he was stuck playing behind Carter and Richards, but was an absolute stud even back then. Those were 2 guys I badly wanted to play in Toronto, so much upside but just stuck playing fewer minutes due to great depth.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
They jettisoned Wheeler that year and then won the Cup a few months later

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
As could Simmonds. Far cry from the big bad Bruins

anything to make 2019 sting less I spose

And 2018

And 2013

I wonder when average observers of the NHL will stop equating toughness with fighting.

ps: Ritchie has very little of either. But who knows maybe this is the year he FINALLY becomes the next Lucic :sarcasm:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Bruins haven't been "tough" for a while now. I don't think Toronto's issues with Boston are because Boston was tougher than them.

correct their issue has always been that their d runs around like a group of chickens with their heads cut off in front of a mediocre goalie

As for Ritchie I’m probably one of his biggest supporters but boy are some leafs fans going to be disappointed. Yeah he may have led Bruins forwards in hits but not all hits are the same. He had a couple big ones but for the most part they were behind the play and not all that impactful. He also doesn’t really fight unless he’s personally pissed off, which isn’t very often as he doesn’t play the game with a ton of passion. I compared him to a great white shark on skates. He kind of just coasts along doing nothing until there is an explosion of violence. The problem is that the explosion doesn’t really come unless he’s provoked, and most people will just leave him alone and let him coast. The one consistent knock on him on our boards that I couldn’t really defend him against was that he’ll watch his teammates get pushed around. He fancies himself an offensive dynamo more than a power forward/enforcer and honestly he’d be more effective if he looked at himself as Ryan Reaves. I do believe he’s one of the better fighters in the league and could develop a fearsome reputation, he just has no interest in sticking up for his teammates and doesn’t want to muck it up most nights. Solid passer though. That’s an underrated quality of his. Also not much of a skater though so he has fewer chances than most players because he doesn’t get to where he needs to be

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Ritchie lit up Brock Nelson of the Islanders in the playoffs. Took a fine for it, but not a suspension. He's an element the team has been lacking since Kadri left.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

This is exactly what the Bruins tried with their also elite PP talent. Eventually they reduced Ritchie's PP time and he slid to the 3rd line.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What's interesting is that Toronto finally has a tougher team than the Bruins (If Kurtis Gabriel plays)
The difference is that Boston’s star players all play tougher than Toronto’s stars. And those are the guys who get most of the ice time and also set the example for the other players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad