Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Auston Matthews to ELC

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/07/20/leafs-lamoriello-balks-at-bonus-demands-of-auston-matthews.html

"Leafs’ Lamoriello balks at bonus demands of Auston Matthews"

"“This one, to me, feels foolish,” an NHL source not involved in the talks told The Star. “I don’t know what Lou’s reward is if he wins for the amount of risk you take by going this direction.”"

"The Leafs not only risk alienating Matthews and his camp — souring future talks when Matthews will have more leverage — but they may be sending a negative message to players around the league about how the team treats stars, he said."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It is the toughest time for the media in Toronto ever. They have no info whatsoever on what is going on.

That was yesterday's article. Apparently the deal was already done.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
This thread: people who complain about idiotic media in one breath, then lap up a bull story the next. Followed of course by OMG OMG gotta post about it on HF. Hilarity

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
If I had a nickle for every salty fan in this thread starting their post with "But I thought..." I'd be a rich man.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/07/20/leafs-lamoriello-balks-at-bonus-demands-of-auston-matthews.html

"Leafs’ Lamoriello balks at bonus demands of Auston Matthews"

"“This one, to me, feels foolish,†an NHL source not involved in the talks told The Star. “I don’t know what Lou’s reward is if he wins for the amount of risk you take by going this direction.â€"

"The Leafs not only risk alienating Matthews and his camp — souring future talks when Matthews will have more leverage — but they may be sending a negative message to players around the league about how the team treats stars, he said."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It is the toughest time for the media in Toronto ever. They have no info whatsoever on what is going on.

That was yesterday's article. Apparently the deal was already done.

What do you expect?

It's summer and they known that the less intelligent fans will eat this stuff up.

It's actually kind of scary how easy it is for the media to implant ideas in people's heads. No matter how ridiculous. Some people are still going with the narrative, even though there is only evidence supporting the opposite of what the article is stating. :help: :facepalm:

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
Congrats Guys. He's going to be a beast. Good lookin team in a couple years. Looking forwrd to the competition.

Would love to see a Jets - Leafs series in a couple years. With us kicking your butts of course, but I know it won't be that easy.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Congrats Leaf fans, I hope this is the new beginning of the Battle of Ontario - which has been one-legged men competing in an ass kicking contest in recent years.

Not really...Toronto leads the season series 10 wins to 8 wins in the last 4 seasons.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
I predict that Matthews' lack of edge and tenacity will hurt him in the new NHL where star players have to stick up for themselves.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
This is too funny. People need to admit that Toronto is running iron tight right now.

Good for the Leafs and Lamoriello. It's good to see that his policy has changed. That "no signing bonus" thing doesn't have a place in today's NHL, and am not sure that it ever did. Idk, maybe things were different back in the day.

Now if the Leafs would get rid of their stupid "no beards/long hair" policy.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
Tampa is a great place for a hockey player. Warm weather, no fans, low taxes. Edmonton is probably the 2nd worst place behind Winnipeg in the league.

Thanks, glad the high and mighty Torontions were able to make that blanket statement....sorry proclamation. Makes you wonder where stereotypes derive from.....unfortunately this is a case of one.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I predict that Matthews' lack of edge and tenacity will hurt him in the new NHL where star players have to stick up for themselves.

You mean like how Edmonton acquired Lucic purely for his goal scoring acumen? There will always be somebody to step up in place of the teams super star. Doesn't matter if it's a random 4th liner, or your 1st line power forward, someone other than Matthews will handle any problems with his physicality. I mean we all know how big a beast guys like Patrick Kane and Karlsson have been in the hitting and fighting department.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Toronto Star trolled millions of people in one fell swoop. But that's what happens when you let the Leafs live in your head rent free.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Shouldn't of taken this long to sign him to a ELC contract with max bonuses you better hope that the hardball that was being played for a while doesn't have any negative effects on the future.

dream on. marner signed july 28 last year and not a peep about "hardball"

they gave him the max deal. it took 10 minutes to do. matthews is happy to be a leaf. will be one for at least the next 7 years. move along.
quack quack quack.

Last edited:

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
The Toronto Star trolled millions of people in one fell swoop. But that's what happens when you let the Leafs live in your head rent free.

That's more a reflection of a collective lack of reason amongst the masses than stellar journalism. Ever wonder how halfwit con men can actually make money?

Welcome aboard Auston. Looking forward to the teams development over the next 3 years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Ironically, they did the same thing with the GM search last summer. They even said that Shanahan was essentially stretching it out intentionally so that he only had himself to hire as the GM. I think it was even a McGran article too.

We then hired Lamoriello a couple weeks later.

:laugh:

EDIT: It was. This is pretty funny stuff. McGran is one of the worst, no doubt.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/brea...k-really-the-answer-for-the-maple-leafs-.html

And let's not forget Shanahan still hasn't hired a general manager. Whoever that is going to be will walk into to a job where his coach and lieutenants are loyal to the guy upstairs -- Shanahan.

This reeks of Ken Dryden all over again. For those who don't remember, Dryden was the president of the Leafs who formed a search committee to find the team's GM and discovered -- whoa!! -- Dryden. Then some kind of weird triple-headed monster emerged with Dryden, Mike Smith and Anders Hedberg running the team.

Strikes me that Shanahan wants to call the shots -- the hirings and firings are all his -- without any of the accountability -- media interviews with him are at a premium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad