Proposal: [TOR/LA]

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
He's talking about possession numbers, but I think he's thinking of Muzzin because Martinez actually doesn't have very good possession numbers at all.

I wouldn't do this if I were the Leafs, they need a top pairing RD.

Martinez is a +50% corsi so I've read comments on here using that to say that he's a good defenceman.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wouldn't do this if I were the Leafs, they need a top pairing RD.

I'm always confused when folks say "top pairing RD". There might be only 10 in the NHL that are significantly better than the next group of 30. So are you saying unless you have one of these 10, a team can't win? By definition Zaitsev is a top pair RD, and for sure he is among the top 30 RD in NHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
martinez is ok but not an upgrade over any of the leafs top 4.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Clutchness is a bad indicator of player's value. It's why Bryan Bickell got loads of money.

Martinez gets more O-zone utilization and plays easier competition behind Doughty and yet he's a negative relative corsi player. I would lose faith in Toronto management if they target a player like him.

Being a negative RelCorsi player doesn't say much on the Kings, they have been flush with guys who are possession monsters in recent history. Also, the Martinez/Muzzin pairing often played the toughest matchups last year, not always Doughty's pairing as Forbort was brought in gradually.

I'm not saying Martinez is the best fit for Toronto, but he's anything but a poor possession guy. LA's system will help advanced stats a little but it's not going to take his 54 CF% over the last 4 years into the sub-50 range. Plus playoffs is where he really shines, the bigger the game the better he plays.

Reactions: go4hockey

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
We don't want Martinez, rather ride out JVR for the year

JVR may not fit a need for L.A given he's a rental but Martinez does nothing for us. We'd only have interest in Muzzin if the cost was low, but I wouldn't say he's an ideal fit either.

This is silly. You really think you have 6 defenseman better than Amart. Now Muzzin would be the better piece but Amart would help more than you think.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Alec Martinez's numbers are grossly inflated by LA's system. Not a player the leafs want or need.

Just come on and say you don't watch the Kings cause what you posted here is not accurate at all he is actually a good 2 way defenseman who's numbers are actually hurt by the system if anything.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
As a Kings fan, I think JVR is actually a great fit for us. But we can't give up assets for a soon to be UFA.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
kings say no. they might consider jvr + bozak with the loss of carter and need for top-9 fwd, but they would probably want something on top of that because those two are pending ufa's. also, toronto's forward depth will be hit hardly if both jvr and bozak are traded. their fwd depth is why they are this good rn. who will replace them?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'm betting JVR wants to be part of a special team, and that's the Leafs now. He may very well sign a decent deal for the Leafs that still sets him up for years.

It's definitely possible, I would just be surprised because he can cash in big time this summer.

I think Bozak is less attractive on the open market, and being the longest serving Leaf definitely has roots in the city. It also allows the Leafs to continue to play Willy and Matthews together for at least a few more years. And as for Komarov, he loves Toronto (believe he has stated he only wants to play there) and I genuinely can't see Babcock being okay with him walking

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
martinez is ok and an an upgrade over any of the leafs top 4.

Fixed it for you. I have typos all of the time so I understand how you made yours. Funny thing is that left the way that you had it makes you look like you know nothing about how valuable Martinez is and how much of an exceptional dman he is. He has been a very valuable part of two Stanley Cups for Los Angeles and is more than solid in all 3 zones. While I believe that the Leafs have a couple of young D who should be able to eclipse Martinez in time they don't have any at his level today. Add in the "clutch" performances during the playoffs along with his experience and the Kings aren't going to part with him unless it is for an overpayment.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Kadri for Martinez would be much, much closer. A pending UFA does not fetch a top 4 defenseman locked up at a great rate.

In which reality is a 26 year old, second line centre, second in scoring on the highest scoring offence in the league whose coming off a 30 goal/60 point season, "much,much closer" to Martinez?

I think Toronto is in a position to acquire a player like Martinez closer to the deadline without moving premier pieces from it's starting roster. Wait until non-playoffs clubs emerge and respond accordingly by moving future assets like picks and prospects for supplemental pieces to shore up our D.

JVR was bad enough, but Nazem Kadri!?

:huh:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
In which reality is a 26 year old, second line centre, second in scoring on the highest scoring offence in the league whose coming off a 30 goal/60 point season, "much,much closer" to Martinez?

I think Toronto is in a position to acquire a player like Martinez closer to the deadline without moving premier pieces from it's starting roster. Wait until non-playoffs clubs emerge and respond accordingly by moving future assets like picks and prospects for supplemental pieces to shore up our D.

JVR was bad enough, but Nazem Kadri!?

:huh:
In the one we both are living in. It is not a hard concept to grasp that acquiring talent is costly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad