Proposal: [TOR/LA]

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We need defense but I don't think Martinez does enough.

Counter: Kapanen, 2 2nds, Fehr or Marincin (cap) for Muzzin. Willing to add a prospect at forward if needed as well.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It will be a special time when people actually look at a teams needs before making a proposal. Only contenders are going to want JVR and guess what? They won't give us a top 4 D for him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Leafs might have been able to do this two years ago. But JVR is a pending UFA now, their chance to trade him for anything except for futures is all but gone.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We don't want Martinez, rather ride out JVR for the year

JVR may not fit a need for L.A given he's a rental but Martinez does nothing for us. We'd only have interest in Muzzin if the cost was low, but I wouldn't say he's an ideal fit either.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Martinez is an offensive defenseman which the Leafs have plenty of. Not a need at this point in time.

The Leafs top 4 has looked much improved so far this season so a move like this is not necessary. Zaitsev looks like he could become a top pairing defenseman and Hainsey was a solid addition to the second pairing.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Alec Martinez's numbers are grossly inflated by LA's system. Not a player the leafs want or need.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
it's be interesting to see where JVR actually lands.

And how much he's going to get when he arrives...lol.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The leafs are probably just better off keeping JVR.
Hyman-Marleau-Komarov-Martin as the LW isn't even as close to as strong as what we have now

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
fearless predicition.

leafs sign JVR for 7 years @ 5.25 million per and roll with the NHLs top offense for at least 2 more years

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It will be a special time when people actually look at a teams needs before making a proposal. Only contenders are going to want JVR and guess what? They won't give us a top 4 D for him.

This is very likely true. The Leafs should just trade JVR to some contending team like Nashville or LA or whoever, for FUTURES.

Then they can take whatever prospects/picks they get for him, and try to land their top-4 Defenceman from some other non-contending team.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
This has to be the first time I have ever seen LA associated with inflated numbers. No system supresses numbers quite like the kings has.

He's talking about possession numbers, but I think he's thinking of Muzzin because Martinez actually doesn't have very good possession numbers at all.

I wouldn't do this if I were the Leafs, they need a top pairing RD.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
LA systems does the exact opposite of what you speak. Martinez is a solid two way defenceman who’s proven clutch in the playoffs. He’d be a worthwhile addition for any playoff bound club.

Clutchness is a bad indicator of player's value. It's why Bryan Bickell got loads of money.

Martinez gets more O-zone utilization and plays easier competition behind Doughty and yet he's a negative relative corsi player. I would lose faith in Toronto management if they target a player like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad