Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
At least Dubas has listened and addressed team toughness for pennies on the dollar. We'll see what happens

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
This is going one of two ways:

Jumbo plays part-time sheltered minutes & 2nd PP and he's a great locker room guy that straightens out their stars on how to play like a winning team...or

They play him like a regular and he slows down everything in TO and soo many egos in the locker room cause even more drama, leading to another 18-wheeler off the cliff moment

Stay tuned!

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I guess I get this signing if the Leafs are intent on having solid veterans to surround the likes of Nylander, Matthews, and Marner. Though you'd think Tavares, Spezza, and Simmonds could fill those roles.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This is going one of two ways:

Jumbo plays part-time sheltered minutes & 2nd PP and he's a great locker room guy that straightens out their stars on how to play like a winning team...or

They play him like a regular and he slows down everything in TO and soo many egos in the locker room cause even more drama, leading to another 18-wheeler off the cliff moment

Stay tuned!
I'm going to go out on a limb and saying signing Thornton will not destroy the team

Mar 26, 2010
Yes, but with guys like Thornton and Simmonds, you have guys whose best days are behind them.
I agree that Thornton’s best days behind him.

Simmonds on the other hand...I see him having a monster season! Big time.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Makes you realize they paid twice what they should have for Simmonds...

It's great if a Toronto native wants to finish his career at home, but the Leafs shouldn't be offering anything above the league minimum

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If I were Dubas I’d pay Joe Thornton $700k just to practice and sit in the locker room making sure everyone has their heads in the game.

Yup... basically pay him to be a assistant coach type thing... it was like when Jagr was in FLA... apparently he stayed after practice always with the players and went over stuff with them with no coaches and the guys LOVED it.

If that's why Jumbo is in TO, then I definately agree with signing... but I assume TO wants him playing

Reactions: El Cohiba

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
SJ is not in pursuit of a Cup, say what you want about the Leafs, they're ahead of SJ in that regard.

This signing has nothing to do with the cup unless it’s regarding Thornton only. Not sure why you’re mentioning that as if it matters. This guy should be done.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Let’s get one thing straight...leafs aren’t overpaying their bottom 6 because they are overpaying their top 6..
There are deep teams whose bottom 6 will eat the leafs bottom 6 alive. Stick best defensive line against Matthews and marner and then let the bottom 2-3 lines go to work. Matthews and Marner will play 25 minutes per night.

Toffoli - KK - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

Would destroy

Vesey - Kerfoot - Simmons
Engvall - Spezza - Thornton

That's a bad bottom 6 my god

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad