Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Will likely be for a low AAV but why do this when they brought Spezza back? Is Thornton going to be the 3C?
I'm hoping since the season is going to be rather condensed they'll load manage Spezza/Thornton and play one of them each game on 4C/2nd PP. Based on that this move is fine

Reactions: SI90

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Will likely be for a low AAV but why do this when they brought Spezza back? Is Thornton going to be the 3C?

Is it 100% that Spezza will be as good as he was this season? I think they’re hoping that one of Spezza or Thornton work out. I don’t see both making the roster...unless the plan now is to trade Kerfoot. Leafs still need more cap space to sign Mikheyev and Dermott, especially if they sign Thornton.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
It reminds me the era where all the old timers from Quebec wanted to sign with the Habs. 5-8 years too late!

Reactions: Morrison

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016

Kerfoot would be the 3C on paper right now but he's not anything special in that role. Engvall could be also but that's a long shot. Anyways I think bringing in big Joe wouldn't be the worst move considering we lost some depth with Kapanen and Johnsson gone. As long as it's under 1 mil it would be fine as he still can contribute. A 3rd line with Thornton at center and Kerfoot and Robertson on the wings would work well imo. Joe can set up Robertson with his wicked release and Kerfoot can just be the utility guy. Kerfoot is more a pass first player too though so he may need to be replaced with someone else. Still our younger players learning from one of the most experienced guys in the league is not a bad thing at the right price.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think having old guys are fine. They bring experience and can be very helpful in the room for a team of young guns like the Leafs. Its only an issue when they are paid too much.

Old guys for under 900k, at 1-2 years is not bad at all.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Kerfoot would be the 3C on paper right now but he's not anything special in that role. Engvall could be also but that's a long shot. Anyways I think bringing in big Joe wouldn't be the worst move considering we lost some depth with Kapanen and Johnsson gone. As long as it's under 1 mil it would be fine as he still can contribute. A 3rd line with Thornton at center and Kerfoot and Robertson on the wings would work well imo. Joe can set up Robertson with his wicked release and Kerfoot can just be the utility guy. Kerfoot is more a pass first player too though so he may need to be replaced with someone else. Still our younger players learning from one of the most experienced guys in the league is not a bad thing at the right price.

This is basically how you'd want to build a line with Jumbo on it - a forechecker and a shooter on his wings. Someone to get the puck to Jumbo to set up a shot (preferably RH). He still has plenty of vision, even if his skating isn't exactly the quickest.

Reactions: Thomp94

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well i would hope the Leafs don't dresse Spezza and Thornton as their #3 and #4 Center on a regular basis. Don't think this would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad