Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] G Ilya Samsonov signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.8M)

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
No, I'm saying Toronto is a better defensive team than Washington.

What did you think I was saying?

So you don't think Toronto is a better defensive team than Ottawa? Murray looked pretty terrible for Toronto.

Kallgren also had a sub .900 against the Coyotes. Don't they all play for the same team?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So you don't think Toronto is a better defensive team than Ottawa? Murray looked pretty terrible for Toronto.

Kallgren also had a sub .900 against the Coyotes. Don't they all play for the same team?

Here, I'll simply it for you.

They all play for the same team, but Samsonov is a better goalie than AHL Kallgren. You realize Kallgren only plays in the NHL when the Leafs goalies are injured?

Murray played 1 game, I'd hold off on judgement - he was injured to start training camp so it's not like he had a full summer to practice.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Weird how Leafs fans will say their D will make their goaltenders better, but when their goaltenders do poorly its in no way a reflection of their D. How can it be both?

Because Campbell sucked for 4 straight months, that's not a defense problem, 4 straight months is to long to be a defense problem at some point regardless of the quality of defense in front of you, and the Leafs have a pretty good defense, but even if they didn't at some point you need a save and from December-May they did not get it......EVER.

and in May Campbell put up an 897 save% against Tampa that's not a defense problem an 897 save% is not a defense problem that's just simply not good enough.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Well it's still just October, that's why. I suspect this thread will be back and swollen and inflamed by end of January or Feb. Give it a bit of time.

Yes. The first game the Leafs get lit up with him in net the sky will be falling. In that hypothetical scenario 10 games or whatever of great play mean nothing and that 1 game is the real potential of the player

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yes. The first game the Leafs get lit up with him in net the sky will be falling. In that hypothetical scenario 10 games or whatever of great play mean nothing and that 1 game is the real potential of the player

1 game? LOL. Dude, get ready for a LOT more bad games than that. We'll have many ups and downs this season, just like every season. Might even outscore our problems again for the most part. But then the post-season will arrive......

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
1 game? LOL. Dude, get ready for a LOT more bad games than that. We'll have many ups and downs this season, just like every season. Might even outscore our problems again for the most part. But then the post-season will arrive......

I'm saying I believe he will have many more good games than poor ones but people will focus on the smaller negative sample

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
So far after 4 games with the Leafs, Samsonov is 4-0 with a .938 save%.

If he stays healthy, this could be a huge year for him....especially considering Campbell put up the 2nd best save% in hockey behind the Leafs excellent D from when he got picked up to up until he got hurt in January.

Murray better start praying for better health or he'll never get back in the mix to be #1.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I'm saying I believe he will have many more good games than poor ones but people will focus on the smaller negative sample

Yes I get that but I question why. He's played well for 4 games so far, but overall he has been kinda shit for several years now. And we are still aways off from our Jan/Feb slump. Odds are, he'll come WAY down from this early season play.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yes I get that but I question why. He's played well for 4 games so far, but overall he has been kinda shit for several years now. And we are still aways off from our Jan/Feb slump. Odds are, he'll come WAY down from this early season play.

Based on what? He's not 30 and on his 6th team. He's 25, a former first round pick and was just given up on by the team who drafted him while giving them stellar and terrible mixed results.

These are the types of reclamation projects that sometimes really work out where someone with potential has a change of scenery while being young (esp for their position where goalies peak later). A bad one is someone like Vesey was where they are older, on many different teams and could never stick anywhere.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Based on what? He's not 30 and on his 6th team. He's 25, a former first round pick and was just given up on by the team who drafted him while giving them stellar and terrible mixed results.

These are the types of reclamation projects that sometimes really work out where someone with potential has a change of scenery while being young (esp for their position where goalies peak later). A bad one is someone like Vesey was where they are older, on many different teams and could never stick anywhere.

Based on the last two years.

And yes, sometimes these reclamation projects work out........I hope he does. But I don't think it's realistic to assume he'll play 10 great games for every 1 bad game. More likely, is that this team will slump as they always do in winter, and he'll be hung out to dry and return to the bad form he's been showing for a long time now. We shall see.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Hmm, seems that Toronto fans are willing to just spin things however it suits their narrative. Draw all the conclusions you need to from a week and a half sample size where 4 of the Leafs 6 games were against non-playoff teams in MTL, OTT, ARI, and WPG.
Are you upset about Samsanov not doing well? Has it affected your ability to understand basic statistics? God bless you.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Based on the last two years.

And yes, sometimes these reclamation projects work out........I hope he does. But I don't think it's realistic to assume he'll play 10 great games for every 1 bad game. More likely, is that this team will slump as they always do in winter, and he'll be hung out to dry and return to the bad form he's been showing for a long time now. We shall see.

Why do you pretend like the Leafs havnt suffered awful goaltending (mainly due to injuries) the last 2 seasons? Andersen has openly talked about his injury issues and trying to play through them his final year.

Here are the stats from the 3 main goalies that season.

Campbell: .921 save%
Hutchinson: .919 save%
Andersen: .895 save%

...behind the same D on the same team.

I mean, just look at last season. Factoring in Mrazek blew his groin out in his first game and they played a mediocre AHLer otherwise.

Start of the season - January 14th (It's suspected Campbell first suffered the rib injury the following game)

League Rankings:

Leafs record: 5th in the NHL
Team xGF%: 1st in the NHL
Shots Against/60: 16th fewest in the NHL
High Danger Shots Against/60: 14th fewest in the NHL
xGA/60: Tied for 6th lowest in the NHL
Goals Against: 3rd fewest in the NHL
Team save%: 2nd in the NHL

After January 14th in which they had two injury riddled NHL goalies and an AHLer:

Leafs record: 4th in the NHL
Team xGF%: 3rd in the NHL
Shots Against/60: 9th fewest in the NHL
High Danger Shots Against/60: 4th fewest in the NHL
xGA/60: 3rd lowest in the NHL
Goals Against: 23rd fewest in the NHL
Team save%: 29th in the NHL

It's what makes your post so confusing. Wheres the big slump last year? Any slumps the previous year seemed to involve trying to get the injured Andersen going right? Defensive numbers improved across the board which helped mitigate the absolute collapse in the quality of Campbell's play last season. If you have top ten defensive metrics across the board and the 29th worst team save%, how is it the team hanging the admittedly injured and AHL goalies out to dry?

Not trying to rip on you here but every stat, advanced or not, seems to support the above and not your narrative. I think we agree that Toronto had to outscore its issues but I'm pretty sure those issues were overwhelmingly in net,

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Damn, strange this thread didn't get nearly the same attention as the Matt Murray thread, I wonder why ?
Because this was a good, uncontroversial move and the Murray move was a bad, controversial move.

Why does the news talk about crime & the invasion of Ukraine, and not about how cookies are yummy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad