Proposal: Tor Edm

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
To Edm- Barrie and Spezza
To Tor- Adam Larsson 50 perc retaineed

Barrie free agent and of the year and not looking like he is worth resigning for Leafs

Leads also have many free agents on defence next summer Larsson has another year and is still a top four D but at the low end

Oilers do it to get a top puck moving defence msn at cheap and have a chance to extend him also get vet Center to play third line which they need right now

I think the value between Barrie Larsson made up by Leafs getting Larsson for only 2 million next year plus bit more cap this year enough to run 21 man roster after when Marner gets back

thoughts???

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think this trade will make the Leefs cup contenders so I’m not sure that’s good for Canada as a whole, but I might pull the triggr on that one.

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Why would Edmonton need to retain salary. Barrie and Larsson are almost equal. Larsson a little better because he's not one demisional. If Edmonton needs to retain Salary. Leafs need to add a high draft pick if thats the case. Plus i don't think Edmonton has the space to take on Barrie+Spezza

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
This is an ok trade but I think you gotta lose the retain 50 percent idea, OP. Larsson makes 4 million. Oilers do not have cap room.
Also with the whole Barrie being and UFA and Oilers having young and up and comers on the blue line, it's probably best the Oilers stay on the course and focus on acquiring a winger. Most preferably one that wears number 9 and will switch back to 4.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Why would Edmonton need to retain salary. Barrie and Larsson are almost equal.

no Barrie being retained on Leads cant afford 22 men roster with him at 2.75 how do they do it a dman making 4???

Larsson a little better because he's not one demisional.
no not true and I say it as a Oiler fan

If Edmonton needs to retain Salary. Leafs need to add a high draft pick if thats the case. Plus i don't think Edmonton has the space to take on Barrie+Spezza
yes Edmonton can afford it even with retain on Larsson

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
First of all, we're not retaining. Second, we need forwards not dmen. Lastly, we're not down to pay Barrie the 7.5+ AAV he'll get in FA.
Don't worry we gotchu ;) We will utilize him in such a shit manner he will never score. Then you swoop in with a 6M offer and its a win win. :naughty:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
First of all, we're not retaining. Second, we need forwards not dmen. Lastly, we're not down to pay Barrie the 7.5+ AAV he'll get in FA.
The way this season is going for him, he'll be sitting a long time in FA if he thinks hes worth that amount.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
It’s an interesting proposal. Barrie is having a down year at the worst possible time (going into UFA this summer), but I still think he’s the better Dman.

With that said, we definitely wouldn’t retain 50% (1.25mil at the most, makes it a wash), but I’m not sure Barrie would be the right fit anyway. Yes, he’d give us a RH PP QB, but we’re doing pretty good as is on the PP. As for fit, I’d much rather have Larsson paired with Klefbom, as I think he compliments Klefbom better. Klefbom and Barrie would be too soft trying to clear the crease, etc.

I also like the idea of pairing Larsson with Broberg down the road when he’s ready to break in. Perfect D pair/mentor for him.

I will give the OP credit though, it’s an interesting idea, one that I would have jumped all over before the emergence of Ethan Bear. Not nearly as enticing now though.

Reactions: Chompchompr

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
no Barrie being retained on Leads cant afford 22 men roster with him at 2.75 how do they do it a dman making 4???

no not true and I say it as a Oiler fan

yes Edmonton can afford it even with retain on Larsson

As an Oilers fan you say... who do you waive to the minors? When Larsson comes back we need to send a D packing... trading for Barrie doesn’t change that situation.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
As an Oilers fan you say... who do you waive to the minors? When Larsson comes back we need to send a D packing... trading for Barrie doesn’t change that situation.

Manning unless you think he so good we must pass up a Barrie type dman for him

swnd him down and no other moves needed

Drai McD Kass
Chia Son RNH Neal
Granlund Spezza Gagner
Sheahan Haas Prussell
khaira archibald

Klef Barrie
Nurse Bear
Russell Benning
persson

I get 79 mill cap friendly so looks to work for me

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Barrie being underrated by a very poor start in Toronto.

Struggling with Babs’ archaic coaching style and system that stifles creativity.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
And this makes sense for Edmonton how..? Also think it’s funny that you think Edmonton would retain on a trade where they trade a player under contract for a couple ufas.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
This deal doesnt make much sense from an Oilers point of view. From an asset point of view it makes little sense to trade a signed player for a pending UFA unless you are loading up for a cup run. That aint Edmonton yet. Barrie is going to be pricey in free agency and Edmonton is going to need that cap space to pay Nurse and improve forward depth. We’ve got Evan Bouchard coming very soon and Ethan Bear has been an unexpected revelation. Barrie is an unnecessary luxury. This helps the Leafs more even though there is a small downgrade from Barrie to Larsson.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
To Edm- Barrie and Spezza
To Tor- Adam Larsson 50 perc retaineed

Barrie free agent and of the year and not looking like he is worth resigning for Leafs

Leads also have many free agents on defence next summer Larsson has another year and is still a top four D but at the low end

Oilers do it to get a top puck moving defence msn at cheap and have a chance to extend him also get vet Center to play third line which they need right now

I think the value between Barrie Larsson made up by Leafs getting Larsson for only 2 million next year plus bit more cap this year enough to run 21 man roster after when Marner gets back

thoughts???

So oilers give away Larsson for 2 players gone in 9 months?

Oilers do not retain for 4 years on this deal

deal does not make sense from the Oilers perspective

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t see the point in this for Edmonton. We’re totally fine, and adding Larsson to this group will just help that.

I’d be open to dealing Larsson for an impact forward. That ain’t Spezza.

Reactions: thadd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad