• Neither, it's a deal

• Leafs

• Red Wings

• Both Leafs & Red Wings

Results are only viewable after voting.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
leafs arent giving up a 2nd for a dude that has 7 pts in 22 games and would be moving to his 5th team in 2 years

he has galchenyuk value which is minimal
Exactly why it's good for the trade, he's not hot and the value is low. Numbers might be a little deflated playing in Detroit but his play along with playing style has been proven over the years, especially back in Tampa with his best. There is a 4th rounder coming back as well.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Wait, Wings have to retain and give you a 4th for a late 2nd?

What's the point? Hardly worth the effort.
fair enough; but it is a nice move up in the draft: *late 4th to late 2nd. retention is only 1m for next season and the fraction of this season. Definitely would be a much larger factor if it were a more competitive team, no offense. But the argument can definitely be negotiated or made that the move up in the draft is not enough.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I still think Seattle prefers dermott over holl and even if they did like holl, it wouldn’t cost much to get Seattle to take dermott I imagine
As a Leafs fan I would like to think this, and I think there is some truth to it. We've seen with Vegas a lot of guys who broke out once arriving there (e.x. William Karlsson), maybe they see that in Dermott.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As a Leafs fan I would like to think this, and I think there is some truth to it. We've seen with Vegas a lot of guys who broke out once arriving there (e.x. William Karlsson), maybe they see that in Dermott.
I just think age wise holl doesn’t make a ton of sense and I don’t think he’d hold a lot of trade value if Seattle was looking to get people to move. I’d honestly be shocked if Seattle took holl, I think he’s one of those players that’s valuable to his team but prob not much in terms of trade value

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
i didnt follow ryans career much in ottawa so not sure how he looked last season . and when yzerman signed him at 1x$1 i figured out of gas or banged up , but that hasnt been the case at all . and last week an article came out about him working all off season with a figure skating coach to improve his skating which theyre saying has been making for a big improvement in his game . and watching him this season my thoughts been ' i can see why this guys was drafted 4th over all , hes a strong on his skates power forward body with quick thinking , good hands and shot ' . and he hustles every second of his shifts , i just said yesterday keep him with mantha for mentorship . seeing how good hes playing makes me wonder if his off ice stuff seriously detracted from his determination to compete and training but hes now refocused and got the hunger back because if he were playing like this last season imo somebody would have offered him 4 per easily as hes a 50+ point player right now that can take it to the net in a rugged power forward manner with no need for teammates to make time and space for him . and if he were on the ice with jt and nylander making him time n space hes a big upgrade for leafs . and im guessing hes very determined right now in effort to prove himself for another contract so looks to be a very valuable hired gun imo .
Dubas as spoke about aquiring guys who are 'hungry' and have something to prove, or something to win in the case of Thornton & Spezza. The same can be said for Ryan given what he's coming back from regarding his mental health.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Value wise it's not a bad deal.

One thing needs to change: Detroit retains no salary.
If Detroit retains salary then Toronto have to add another pick. A 2022 3rd would be fine.
Possibly, but a 3rd rounder is steep. If Detroit cannot stomach the retention which was taken in account for, and that's completely fine depending on their plans, nothing wrong with that... maybe it's just not a fit. But maybe the Leafs overpay if they really do like the player.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I just think age wise holl doesn’t make a ton of sense and I don’t think he’d hold a lot of trade value if Seattle was looking to get people to move. I’d honestly be shocked if Seattle took holl, I think he’s one of those players that’s valuable to his team but prob not much in terms of trade value
Yea he does fit well in their system and alongside Muzzin. I could see them saying or indicating that they would take Holl (with the next line in mind ->), the leafs make a marginal deal for them not to, and they simply agree because they like Dermott or there is not too much 'pushback' from the Leafs proposal. I also think there will mostly be a surplus of NHL RHD at the expansion draft available, in comparison to other positions other than goaltending, which is also a factor.

One thing though, after seeing what Vegas has done, I think age is less of a factor than we all would have thought more or less.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think a sleeper/dark-horse pick for the Leafs that could be had for relatively cheap is Vladislav Namestnikov. Was traded for a Col 4th round pick last season, can play up and down the lineup, all 3 positions (C, LW, RW), aggressive, some speed & skill, kills penalties, and was very complementary to Stamkos & Kucherov back in Tampa when that line was dominant. He ended up being key piece of a trade to acquire JT Miller & Ryan McDonough when his value was at a high. He's 28 now and trade value is probably still low.

Namestnikov has 2 years @ 2m per year; @50% retained (1m per year for this season and 2021/2022) could look very good in top 6 with the cap-strapped Leafs top 4 (Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander) and has versatility to be in the bottom 6. To the rebuilding Red Wings would be futures.

Proposal:

To Toronto:
- Vladislav Namestnikov @50% retained (1m)
- VGK 2022 4th round pick

To Detroit:
- Leafs 2021 2nd round pick (or 2022 if Detroit prefers that)

Instead, Liljegren.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I’m gonna assume the leafs have their eyes on some other players but if those trades fall through I could see us doing this.

especially with that 2nd year, we could expose him in the expansion draft and try to get Seattle to take him AND Kerfoot to save our D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad