• Neither, it's a deal

• Leafs

• Red Wings

• Both Leafs & Red Wings

Results are only viewable after voting.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I think a sleeper/dark-horse pick for the Leafs that could be had for relatively cheap is Vladislav Namestnikov. Was traded for a Col 4th round pick last season, can play up and down the lineup, all 3 positions (C, LW, RW), aggressive, some speed & skill, kills penalties, and was very complementary to Stamkos & Kucherov back in Tampa when that line was dominant. He ended up being key piece of a trade to acquire JT Miller & Ryan McDonough when his value was at a high. He's 28 now and trade value is probably still low.

Namestnikov has 2 years @ 2m per year; @50% retained (1m per year for this season and 2021/2022) could look very good in top 6 with the cap-strapped Leafs top 4 (Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander) and has versatility to be in the bottom 6. To the rebuilding Red Wings would be futures.

Proposal:

To Toronto:
- Vladislav Namestnikov @50% retained (1m)
- VGK 2022 4th round pick

To Detroit:
- Leafs 2021 2nd round pick (or 2022 if Detroit prefers that)

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I dont think Namestnikov does anything for us. if we are trading for a winger it should be a legit top 6

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Not bad but kinda underwhelming considering Detroit is retaining and he isn't a rental. Wings need Namestnikov contract to satisfy exposure requirements for ED atp anyway so doubtful he'd be moved

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I dont think Namestnikov does anything for us. if we are trading for a winger it should be a legit top 6
Some players, like Connor Sheary and arguably Zach Hyman for example, fit well in the top 6 because they gel with their linemates, not because of their overwhelming skill. Not sure if Namestnikov is that kind of player, just saying it may not need to be an actual top 6 talent to benefit the Leafs. Considering Namestnikov rode shotgun alongside Stamkos and Kucherov, I feel like he is the kind of player I'm talking about so it may not be that bad.

Reactions: 123offtheglass

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Take out the pick going back to the Leafs and I'd do it
if im leafs ide prefer spending that 2nd on bobby ryan
Ryan is a rental, with Namestikov @ 50% retention they get this year's playoff run with him and then all of next year at a cap hit of $1M

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Some players, like Connor Sheary and arguably Zach Hyman for example, fit well in the top 6 because they gel with their linemates, not because of their overwhelming skill. Not sure if Namestnikov is that kind of player, just saying it may not need to be an actual top 6 talent to benefit the Leafs. Considering Namestnikov rode shotgun alongside Stamkos and Kucherov, I feel like he is the kind of player I'm talking about so it may not be that bad.
i do like Namestnikov but the thing is we already have Zach Hyman to fill that roll. Mikheyev is somewhat similar. i think a legit top 6 scorer like Rakell or Forsberg would be better albeit more expensive

Reactions: EK392000

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Usually these guys have enough skill/talent to keep up but may not be top 6 caliber. They compliment the line because of their intangibles, ability to gel to the line (e.x. adjusting their play to fit the line, versatility to react, or a natural fit), usually not the primary puck carrier but a guy who forechecks well, gets pucks & distributes them, brings contagious energy; they're like a 'safety' for the line that is consistent, predictable (therefore easy to play with/off of) , and can be relied upon. Sid seemed to always find these guys in Pittsburgh.

On the hand other teams arguably have these 'safety' guys that are actually top line or top 6 caliber, like Patrice Bergeron on Boston's top line, Gabriel Landeskog on Colorado's top line, or even Ondrej Palat & Tom Wilson on Tampa Bay & Washington; I'd say they all fit this bill on their lines except they're actually really really good players.

Reactions: EK392000

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Take out the pick going back to the Leafs and I'd do it

Ryan is a rental, with Namestikov @ 50% retention they get this year's playoff run with him and then all of next year at a cap hit of $1M
i couldnt care less about next year as a namestikov is easily replaced as he doesnt have a quick mind or real good hands . mean while ryan has a quick mind and good hands on a legit nhl power forward body ands been displaying some high level talent in flashes on a team that doesnt provide him much time , space and shot chances . put him on leafs 2 line with jt and nylander and it could become a dominant line that gets leafs a cup

Reactions: banks

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
i do like Namestnikov but the thing is we already have Zach Hyman to fill that roll. Mikheyev is somewhat similar. i think a legit top 6 scorer like Rakell or Forsberg would be better albeit more expensive
Leafs probably don’t get Forsberg because of the assets they’d have to give up to get him. Also, Nashville could fetch better deals from other teams. Rakell is more realistic, but probably fairly expensive. I honestly like Kerfoot with Nylander and Tavares, and Simmonds isn’t too bad there either. If Rakell could become the 3C and play alongside Jumbo, who resembles Getzlaf, the Leafs offence would be set for the playoffs.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
What exactly is namestekov bringing to the leafs besides, “experience”?

it doesn’t look like a whole lot of skill.
Leafs would be better bring a nick Robertson up instead.

Reactions: banks and MisterT

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
What exactly do the leafs have that they are willing to trade for a top 6 forward?

They probably should look for a top 9 instead.
I could see a 1st, Liljegren and other prospects on the table.

The thing is we already have plenty of top 9/bottom 6 guys.

Thornton is not a top line guy and i question his durability. Hyman works on either top 6 line. A guy like Rakell or Forsberg would do wonders. Only thing is i dont know if acquiring someone with term makes sense given the expansion.

Maybe we ride out Thornton or maybe Simmonds in the top 6 and get one in the offseason. Robertson should be there soon as well.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could see a 1st, Liljegren and other prospects on the table.

The thing is we already have plenty of top 9/bottom 6 guys.

Thornton is not a top line guy and i question his durability. Hyman works on either top 6 line. A guy like Rakell or Forsberg would do wonders. Only thing is i dont know if acquiring someone with term makes sense given the expansion.

Maybe we ride out Thornton or maybe Simmonds in the top 6 and get one in the offseason. Robertson should be there soon as well.
I really don’t see expansion draft is as much of an issue... you potentially lose 1 of holl/dermott? I assume Seattle would take dermott over holl.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I really don’t see expansion draft is as much of an issue... you potentially lose 1 of holl/dermott? I assume Seattle would take dermott over holl.
I would hope so. But Holl is better and is signed to a great deal. If all we lost to Seattle was Dermott i would be fine with that. But we could go the 8 skater to protect Holl. And acquiring a top 6er means we would have to protect him along with the big 4.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I don't think this a bad proposal at all. In fact, I think it's solid value, both ways, and I appreciate the thought you put into the proposal regarding the Leaf's cap situation heading into next year.

That said, Namestikov is a better fit as a third liner in Toronto, a position they already have plenty of options at. It would be different if he was a legit 3C, but he's a better fit on the wing, IMO. Personally, I'd rather pay the extra price and get Rickard Rackell from the Ducks. Retained, he'd cost Toronto 1.9 million next year, compared to 1.0 for Namestikov.

The addition of Rackell would allow Toronto to load of their top line and run the trio of Nylander (who likes playing left wing), Matthews and Marner.

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-Tavares-Rackell
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Simmonds-Boyd-Spezza
Robertson Galchenyuk

That could be a formidable group heading into the playoffs. Especially that top 6... I don't think Namestikov brings that same potential impact. In fact, I'd rather Bobby Ryan than Namestikov because the Leafs could run...

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Ryan-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Simmonds-Boyd-Spezza
Robertson / Galchenyuk

I think that's a dangerous group as well.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I think a sleeper/dark-horse pick for the Leafs that could be had for relatively cheap is Vladislav Namestnikov. Was traded for a Col 4th round pick last season, can play up and down the lineup, all 3 positions (C, LW, RW), aggressive, some speed & skill, kills penalties, and was very complementary to Stamkos & Kucherov back in Tampa when that line was dominant. He ended up being key piece of a trade to acquire JT Miller & Ryan McDonough when his value was at a high. He's 28 now and trade value is probably still low.

Namestnikov has 2 years @ 2m per year; @50% retained (1m per year for this season and 2021/2022) could look very good in top 6 with the cap-strapped Leafs top 4 (Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander) and has versatility to be in the bottom 6. To the rebuilding Red Wings would be futures.

Proposal:

To Toronto:
- Vladislav Namestnikov @50% retained (1m)
- VGK 2022 4th round pick

To Detroit:
- Leafs 2021 2nd round pick (or 2022 if Detroit prefers that)

No thanks, another undersized winger who doesn’t know what letter defence starts with. I would rather bring up Robertson at half the price because he plays a 200 even if he is green.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What exactly do the leafs have that they are willing to trade for a top 6 forward?

They probably should look for a top 9 instead.

They have a pretty good prospect pool, a first, a 2nd, and young players. Depending on how big of a deal it is they can go all in or they can move pieces similar to what they used to get Muzzin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad