Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Connor Carrick to DAL for Conditional 2019 7th Round Pick

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think our d is really that bad. Last season, we never had both Polak and Carrick in the lineup at the same time. Yet they are in Dallas.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He had the tools and hopefully Dallas will help him get those tools out, unlike in Toronto.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
He's getting 164 assists obviously...

Someone had to go. It was him. I Don't see a big loss here. If he becomes better, that sucks, but good for him. When he was here, he didn't get better... move on.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's up to Ozhiganov to prove we were right to bring him in over CC.

Ozhi is better than Carrick but at this point I am no longer sure if Hainsey is better.

We drastically need to reduce his minutes and put him in a role similar to what Carrick would have gotten on the Leafs.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He had the tools and hopefully Dallas will help him get those tools out, unlike in Toronto.

I think the decision was based on size, Carrick was a guy who was a consistent, he gave his all every game but was not a top 4 guy and was exposed when he played up the lineup. IMO Carrick lost out because of his size.

Ozi was a big guy that won based on his size and potential.

member 262271

Regardless of who is better, Ozzie or Connor, Carrick wasn't going to get a fair shot here - move on...

member 262271

losing good talent because Babcock wasn't going to give him a shot isn't a good thing
Far from it, my point is it's not really relevant to complain about anymore. I don't agree with Babcock's decisions from time to time, I guess we'll how this one plays out.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
losing good talent because Babcock wasn't going to give him a shot isn't a good thing

If Shanahan sees guys like we gave away for nothing such as Carrick, Pickard, McElhinney doing well with their new teams and their own guys playing bad (Hainsey, Marincin, Sparks) and important assets sitting around not playing and not traded, jobs will eventually be lost. Top jobs.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Carrick played a hard nosed game despite lacking size. He was good and gave it his all but he just got beat up by his size, I wish him well with other team but in my opinion he won’t have much of a career in NHL. What a bad luck to lack size being a defenseman.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Carrick played a hard nosed game despite lacking size. He was good and gave it his all but he just got beat up by his size, I wish him well with other team but in my opinion he won’t have much of a career in NHL. What a bad luck to lack size being a defenseman.

It could also be that he just doesn't have the foot speed and all around game to compensate for it.

Ryan Ellis is a perfect example of not a big player but competes and puts up points. The difference is the skill aspect of the game. Carrick isn't going to put up the points that you'd like, so he has to do something else that puts him ahead of other bottom pairing guys.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
At least Ozhiganov had a good game yesterday. Good to see him bounce back. Babcock rewarded him with some extra minutes too (although some of them came in garbage time).

Reactions: Lauro

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
like i wouldn't mind losing carrick if we had better options, but losing carrick for marincin and holl was dumb

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
like i wouldn't mind losing carrick if we had better options, but losing carrick for marincin and holl was dumb

Most all of us agree on that. He wasn't the best defender but he wasn't the worst defender and he did well with Jake.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I expected them to go with Oz, Rosen and Borgman. I don't get Babcock's love affair with Martin Marincin; he's stunk every time he's managed to get into the NHL lineup.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I expected them to go with Oz, Rosen and Borgman. I don't get Babcock's love affair with Martin Marincin; he's stunk every time he's managed to get into the NHL lineup.

He did pretty well when he drew in for Ozhiganov in Chicago. Was one of the few defensemen who did not suck on either side actually. Wasn't the biggest role, but those types of the performances that everyone seems to miss when it comes to Marincin, even though that's what he gives the vast majority of the time. Another small fraction he is much better than that, and then the rest are the times he plays terribly that seems to dominate probably the 90% of the time he's not terrible in people's minds.

I do not mind having Marincin in as a 7th defenseman. Much rather him than wasting Carrick or a valuable youngster there. Carrick needed a chance at a top 6 job that he was not going to get here. Getting a small asset and the cap savings (which could help with bonuses if nothing else) is better than having him in the pressbox. Marincin will probably only get 25-30 games max this year (and someone would probably need to get injured for him to even get that much), and he'll probably do quite well in most of them. So it's not like the haters need to sweat all that often. I would love to have him on the Marlies again, but I do not think he'd pass through waivers, especially if a team needs a guy to fill in for an injury or needs a better 7th defenseman. Plus as much as he probably loves playing every day on the Marlies, I am sure he does not hate being on an NHL team, even if that means sitting up in the pressbox most of the time.

Since neither Borgman nor Rosen require waivers, it makes no sense for them to waste away in the press box when they can be top 4 guys on the Marlies. Don't ask me why Holl is still around though. He should have been cut with LoVerde. You are not wasting development or value on Holl (like Marincin), so it's not a big deal having him sit in a pressbox most of the time, but you still want a quality #7 up there just in case. Plus the Marlies could really use Holl right now, which is what his job was in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad