Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CHI] TOR acquire D Chad Krys from CHI for F Kurtis Gabriel

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Cale Makar. 5'11"

It's not 1987, Dude.

I'm not against smaller dmen but we have too many smaller players in our system especially dmen.

We should have moved down in the 1st Rd in 2020 & grabbed one of the following players.

16) D Kaiden Guhle 6 2 199
19) D Braden Schneider 6 2 210

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Status In the minors
Ht/Wt 5’11’’, 185 lbs
Shoots L
Experience 0 years (Rookie)
Born Apr 10, 1998 (23 yrs) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Drafted Drafted by Chicago in 2016 (2/45).
Drafted from Team USA U18 (NTDP)

SCOUTING REPORT
Moves the puck incredibly well and has excellent mobility. Uses an active stick to defend his position in the defensive zone with aplomb. Has a great head for the game. His lack of size could become a major issue at the National Hockey League level, so he needs to add bulk and become physically stronger. Needs to shoot the puck more.

Long Range Potential: Talented, mobile puck-moving defenseman with upside.

Chad Krys Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Toronto Maple Leafs | Sports Forecaster

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm not against smaller dmen but we have too many smaller players in our system especially dmen.

We should have moved down in the 1st Rd in 2020 & grabbed one of the following players.

Could we use some more diversity in our prospect pool? Sure but you don't take limited upside players in the first round because of a need for size. History has shown us this over and over. You can get big shutdown guys with low offense in the 3rd round on or cheap in FA. Look at Rubins. Dubas signed him as an undrafted FA.

Reactions: Menzinger

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Another smally to add to our blueline depth.Leafs & Marlies.

Chad Krys 5 11
Topi Niemela 5 11
Axel Rindell 5 10
John Fusco 5 11
Mikko Kokkonen 5 11
Michael Koster 5 9
Kalle Loponen 5 11
Rasmus Sandin 5 11
Mac Hollowell 5 9
Fillip Kral 5 11
Travis Dermott 6 0
Alex Biega 5 10
Noel Hoefenmayer 6 0
Brennan Kapcheck 5 9
Teemu Kivihalme 6 0
Matthew Hellickson 6 0
Joseph Duszak 5 9
Brennen Menell 5 11
Saw Kral at 5.11 and realised u talk out of your ass..he is 6.2 now

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Saw Kral at 5.11 and realised u talk out of your ass..he is 6.2 now

He wasn't even 5'11" when we drafted him...

upload_2021-12-10_16-31-30.png

And if these are not right, it is always because they have outdated measurements and they included their height from before the season... So they are always taller if this is not the right height.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
What Matthews leaving problem.
If there's a 5 percent chance he leaves for Arizona that's to much of an open door. If they move to Canada. You just have that Tax cushion they have in some states as an issue.

If I'm Arizona and I'm still around you may as well offer Matty max.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
If there's a 5 percent chance he leaves for Arizona that's to much of an open door. If they move to Canada. You just have that Tax cushion they have in some states as an issue.

If I'm Arizona and I'm still around you may as well offer Matty max.
The Coyotes can't even afford to pay their bills, let alone offer a superstar max dollars.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Hold that thought for 3 years an lets see if you are in the minority then.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I can't read Dubas' mind (as much as I try and occasionally seem to) but I have a theory about all of the "small" defensemen. I think Dubas and co. see the high failure rate on the big defensemen draft picks and want to steer clear of making too many of those type of speculative picks especially outside of the 1st round. I think they believe they can find their giant long reach defenders in other ways like trade, free agency and special projects (Holl, Rubins, Muzzin). I believe they think they have a higher chance of hitting on something special outside the 1st round picking skill over size. They may be right, I don't know. But as I pointed out earlier in the thread, the vast majority of NHL defensemen are 6' and over. And no matter how you slice it, that means size matters for NHL defensemen.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can't read Dubas' mind (as much as I try and occasionally seem to) but I have a theory about all of the "small" defensemen. I think Dubas and co. see the high failure rate on the big defensemen draft picks and want to steer clear of making too many of those type of speculative picks especially outside of the 1st round. I think they believe they can find their giant long reach defenders in other ways like trade, free agency and special projects (Holl, Rubins, Muzzin). I believe they think they have a higher chance of hitting on something special outside the 1st round picking skill over size. They may be right, I don't know. But as I pointed out earlier in the thread, the vast majority of NHL defensemen are 6' and over. And no matter how you slice it, that means size matters for NHL defensemen.

Most of them are not over 6'2" though, and I think if you are drafting a defenseman that is between 6'0" and 6'2", most people would not say you are drafting "for size". Even 6'3" is borderline.

I think if you are 5'10" or under, you need to be an excellent skater and puck mover, and you are likely drafting them with the intent that they bring some kind of offensive ability. That really goes for forwards or defensemen, but for defensemen it probably matters that much more. I would also say, for most teams, they would not employ a smaller defender to take on the roles that most bottom pairing guys handle.

Ultimately, size is way down the list of priorities. It more of a luxury feature. If you are a 6'5" guy with an elite package than you will probably go over a 6'0" guy with an equally elite package. However few teams are likely taking a 6'5" guy with a noticeably worse package than a 6'0" guy.

In terms of Chad Krys, the fact that he is seen as more of an offensive defenseman but only has 15 points in 60+ AHL games hurts his NHL chances a lot more than being a 5'11" defender. If everything else was the same but he was 6'5", his chances are still not looking great.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Thanks for the response, there's something thoughts I have in response.

Most of them are not over 6'2" though, and I think if you are drafting a defenseman that is between 6'0" and 6'2", most people would not say you are drafting "for size". Even 6'3" is borderline.

I don't really care what most people consider to be size or not, the vast majority of NHL defensemen are 6' or over (85%). So when I say size matters, I mean that there is a large distribution skewed in a certain height range 6' and above.

I think if you are 5'10" or under, you need to be an excellent skater and puck mover, and you are likely drafting them with the intent that they bring some kind of offensive ability. That really goes for forwards or defensemen, but for defensemen it probably matters that much more. I would also say, for most teams, they would not employ a smaller defender to take on the roles that most bottom pairing guys handle.
I think this agrees with my thesis that Dubas and co. may be attempting to hit on a star quality undersized defender.

Ultimately, size is way down the list of priorities. It more of a luxury feature. If you are a 6'5" guy with an elite package than you will probably go over a 6'0" guy with an equally elite package. However few teams are likely taking a 6'5" guy with a noticeably worse package than a 6'0" guy.

But it clearly isn't way down the list of priorities when 85% of defensemen are 6' and taller. This is clearly a revealed preference through actual selection and utilization of defensemen. Look no further than our own team. Only 1 regular defender is under 6' and not greatly (5'11"), Sandin.

In terms of Chad Krys, the fact that he is seen as more of an offensive defenseman but only has 15 points in 60+ AHL games hurts his NHL chances a lot more than being a 5'11" defender. If everything else was the same but he was 6'5", his chances are still not looking great.

Krys is freebie lottery ticket pick up. He's had a tough time so far and every once in a while a change of scenery turns around a career. He was probably on the Leafs' draft list back at the 2016 draft and they're giving him a go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad