Confirmed with Link: TOR/CHI - Richard Panik for Jeremy Morin

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The Blackhawks acquiring a waiver wire reject to solidify their top 6 reeks of malarkey.

The Hawks are desperate for some help beyond the top line.

I'm not sure that Panik answers that, but he might be better than what the options were in last night's game vs the Sens.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Meh

At cost paid it isn't much of an issue for Hawks

They have had

Dano
Teravainen
Garbutt
Shaw

All plug hole on the Toews/Hossa line and outside of TT they haven't shown much. TT gives Hawks 3rd line offensive punch so at this point I am willing to try Panik for a while

Toews/Hossa should be able to cover for any D shortcomings he has

Actually, about the only thing Panik is good at is D. He's barely 4th line NHL calibre at every measurable skill except shot suppression.

TlJ0vf3.png

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I would never compare the numbers of fringe limited minute players on well coached teams to those on randy-coached teams.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
recycle for litter lol

I don't think Morin is litter quite yet. But he sure doesn't have many chances left.

Chicago never really played the kid, first or second time around. And when he played 28 NHL games last season for C'bus, he was pretty uninspiring in limited play. But he scores in the AHL, and would be a 2nd line MacArthur-type if he puts everything together.

I think this kid will see time with the Maple Leafs if we move some roster players out near the end of the year, or maybe as an injury call-up.

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011
I don't think Morin is litter quite yet. But he sure doesn't have many chances left.

Chicago never really played the kid, first or second time around. And when he played 28 NHL games last season for C'bus, he was pretty uninspiring in limited play. But he scores in the AHL, and would be a 2nd line MacArthur-type if he puts everything together.

I think this kid will see time with the Maple Leafs if we move some roster players out near the end of the year, or maybe as an injury call-up.

Both these players aren't waiver exempt and I don't think either team was afraid to lose them on waivers. Panik cleared at start of season and I'm sure Morin did too if he had to. Morin has a two way contract but just means he gets paid less at ahl level. I think this has a lot to do with giving each player a fresh start and I'm betting Babcock feels that Morin could fill a role that Panik couldn't with Leafs if he gets an opportunity

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
doesn't make sense

As a number of posters have said, the trade provides a change of scenery to a pair of players who have some talent but have never been able to put it together in the NHL. It probably won't amount to anything on either side but who knows, the light might come on for one or the other or even both in their new settings.

To borrow a baseball term, I think they may be AAAA players.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Dubas says he thinks Morin has a lot of untapped potential. Expects to see him up with the Leafs sometime. Also said he generates a lot of shots.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
:laugh:

Can't believe this guy is gonna be our GM in 2-3 years. He's still a kid himself talking about other kids.

:laugh:

my favourite part was like. "oh yah i think it helps being younger than other gms, because the players feel that they can come to me easier and be more open i mean not like buddy pals, but...

and lol i am not even going to lie I had a picture of Dubas and Freddy putting it away at Chipotle .

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Extremely articulate and have to give him credit, guy has Hollywood front man looks and appears to be trying to play that down with those hilarious Brad Pitt Oceans eleven glasses.

Just another significant cog in what is now by far and away the best organization in hockey.

Who saw this coming? Heck, I didn't and I like to think I see most moves that are coming.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seems as if the Leafs like Morin's shot generation.

My take is Babcock didn't like Panik and so this seems like a gamble to try and get an undervalued underperforming prospect that may shine if given the right guidance and opportunity.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Did some damage in his only OHL season with Kitchener. His shot was lethal. Seemed to score any chance he had. Didn't offer much more than being a trigger man from what I remember. Could argue Leafs needed this type more on their farm team.

MSG*

Maybe the Leafs wanted to call him up but thought he might get claimed, so they deal him to Chicago so the Hawks can call him up and the Leafs claim him, as they have higher waiver priority than most of the teams, thereby reducing the risk he gets claimed by another team?

That makes no sense. There's no such thing as waivers on call up anymore. You may want to read the CBA.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That makes no sense. There's no such thing as waivers on call up anymore. You may want to read the CBA.

Panik never got a call up over Clune,Froese,Arcobello so that says something. Not sure how Babcock viewed him. Something could have been missing from his game.
Also another poster mentioned it would cost more to qualify Panik than Morin next year. Another factor.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Panik never got a call up over Clune,Froese,Arcobello so that says something. Not sure how Babcock viewed him. Something could have been missing from his game.
Also another poster mentioned it would cost more to qualify Panik than Morin next year. Another factor.

He wasn't going to be tendered as a result (most likely). Wouldn't be surprised to see similar deals involving Frattin. He's got to be up there in P/60 in the AHL.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Toronto Sun, the Toronto Maple Leafs are confident that Jeremy Morin has what it takes.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/05/maple-leafs-confident-morin-has-what-it-takes

TORONTO — Jeremy Morin and the Toronto Marlies have the same goal in mind.

Acquired on Sunday from the Chicago Blackhawks organization, Morin has his sights on the Maple Leafs, and the Marlies want him to become a Leaf eventually as well.

“We’re confident his potential dictates that’s where he should be,†Marlies general manager Kyle Dubas said on Tuesday.

“It’s up to us to get him up there. We think there is a lot untapped. We need to just build him up a little bit and get him going."

The 24-year-old Morin, a native of Auburn, N.Y., who counted fellow American Mike Modano among his hockey idols during childhood, has played in 82 games in the National Hockey League with Chicago and the Columbus Blue Jackets, recording 22 points. His pro career has been marked by frequent stints in the minors, something he would like to leave in the past.

“They seem like they do a great job of getting guys to the next level and I’m excited about that,†said Morin, who came to Toronto for forward Richard Panik. “I’ll do everything in my power to play well, work hard and show them I want to be up there."

“I am just trying to find a home. This is a great opportunity for me.â€

What does Morin bring to the Marlies, and perhaps one day to the Leafs?

“I try to be a shooter first,†the 6-foot-1, 196-pound forward said. “All my opportunities come off my shot and that’s how I have to build my game.â€

Dubas watched plenty of Morin as the latter put up 22 points in 28 games with Rockford of the American Hockey League this season.

“The numbers analytically are similar at both levels (between Morin and Panik), so it’s just some subjective old-time hockey and scouting, if you would,†Dubas said. “It€™s a change of scenery for both of them.â€

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Jeremy Morin speaks with the media for the first time since being acquired by the Toronto Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad