Proposal: [TOR/CHI] J. Van Riemsdyk @50% For N. Schmaltz, A. Desjardins +

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
GOAT is out until January he's a non factor this year

He still could be used next year at some point. Season doesn't end in January which is why I put a /. Boyle might not even be re-signed but the 4th line really didn't matter in my point. The point was our top 3 lines all have a centre and we don't need to add one.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Chicago adds salary when they need to shed it. Desjardins is a UFA. This makes no sense at all.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Schmaltz looked pretty good playing LW with Toews in the 2nd half. I'd much rather let him grow then trade him for a year of JVR.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Jvr isn't your typical rental. First of all you'd have him for a full year instead of a couple months if you traded for him at the deadline.

That's fine, JVR is certainly worth something nice. But Hartman scored 19 goals as a rookie playing on the 3rd line with no PP time this year. He's a young, cost-controlled player that's already contributing. The Hawks aren't in a position to be trading guys like that.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
A rental is something you'll have only temporarily. If the Hawks made this trade, they can only keep JVR for a year. He's a one year rental.

A one year rental, potentially. But he's not your typical rental so please don't value him as one. (As the typical rental 3-4 month rental)

Plus, what's stopping Chicago from extending him?

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
A one year rental, potentially. But he's not your typical rental so please don't value him as one. (As the typical rental 3-4 month rental)

Plus, what's stopping Chicago from extending him?
I mean, if you don't want to think of him as a typical rental, that's fine. An atypical rental is still a rental.

What's stopping the Hawks from extending him? The salary cap. That's not really something you can get around easily.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I keep getting the Schmaltz's mixed up so I just assumed this was the defenseman at first. Then I say it's the center/LW and it makes no sense. Then i saw the OP slotting Schmaltz in above Kadri as the long term 2C, and was borderline laughing. Schmaltz will be very lucky if he develops into a better center than Kadri. If this ever happened Schmaltz would likely be a LW or a 3C for us until the unlikely point where he surpassed Kadri on the depth chart.

This has the smell of someone who likes that 1 guy some other team has so goes out and looks for a trade for them even if it's not a need at all. If the makeup of the team was a bit different then the trade may make some sense. As is it doesn't.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
We're already doing that this offseason to get under. Even so, moving Kruger's 3.1 mil salary isn't enough to make room for the big raise JVR is looking at on his next contract.

Jvr makes 4.25 now and at best he'll make 6. Only an increase of 1.75. Hardly unmanageable.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Jvr makes 4.25 now and at best he'll make 6. Only an increase of 1.75. Hardly unmanageable.

They're already over the cap right now without JVR, they probably can't even take on JVR @50% let alone JVR at 4.25, let alone JVR at 6 or more the following year. It's unmanageable when you're already over the cap and you can't even fit a free JVR in.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Have yet to see an offer that makes any sense for the Hawks in this thread. The time where the Hawks would be interested in JVR has probably passed. I just don't see Stan willing to throw away assets with plenty of cost control years left for one year of JVR.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I keep getting the Schmaltz's mixed up so I just assumed this was the defenseman at first. Then I say it's the center/LW and it makes no sense. Then i saw the OP slotting Schmaltz in above Kadri as the long term 2C, and was borderline laughing. Schmaltz will be very lucky if he develops into a better center than Kadri. If this ever happened Schmaltz would likely be a LW or a 3C for us until the unlikely point where he surpassed Kadri on the depth chart.

This has the smell of someone who likes that 1 guy some other team has so goes out and looks for a trade for them even if it's not a need at all. If the makeup of the team was a bit different then the trade may make some sense. As is it doesn't.
Bozak was technically slotted above Kadri most nights and he's not better. The way I listed them was in no order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad