Proposal: [TOR/CHI] J. Van Riemsdyk @50% For N. Schmaltz, A. Desjardins +

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
JVR @ a roughly 2M cap hit and taking back Desjardins could allow Chicago to pursue JVR . Schmaltz is a very solid RHC that could slot perfectly behind Matthews sooner rather than later.

Matthews
Schmaltz
Kadri
XXX

Gives Toronto great young C depth for years to come.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No thanks

Hawks need a guy like Schmaltz longterm rather then a year of JVR (He is UFA next summer)

Also odd to have you throw in a fringe NHL talent like Desjardins

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
No thanks from the Leafs perspective. Centre is the last position we need to add to. RHD or no go.

Centre core next season:

Matthews
Bozak
Kadri
Boyle/Gauthier

Centre core for the future

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Gauthier

Already a really young centre core and a very talented one at that.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
JVR @ a roughly 2M cap hit and taking back Desjardins could allow Chicago to pursue JVR . Schmaltz is a very solid RHC that could slot perfectly behind Matthews sooner rather than later.

Matthews
Schmaltz
Kadri
XXX

The Leafs have no use for Schmaltz - he's more of a luxury than a need

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
No thanks from the Leafs perspective. Centre is the last position we need to add to. RHD or no go.

Centre core next season:

Matthews
Bozak
Kadri
Boyle/Gauthier

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Gauthier

This trade brings in a very responsible and skilled C in Schmaltz, which could allow Nylander to stay on the wing long term. I remember hearing from William himself that he played with and had good chemistry with Schmaltz somewhere, likely when they were much younger though. Nylander staying on the wing alongside a responsible C could allow him to keep his main focus on the offensive side, in which I could see him developing into a top 10 scorer in this league.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Responsible C? You realize he spent most of his time at W last year ,, Correct?

I think with development he can be good solid dependable #2C ,, But he has a ways to go to prove himself as an NHL top 6 let alone a very responsible C at NHL leve

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Responsible C? You realize he spent most of his time at W last year ,, Correct?

I think with development he can be good solid dependable #2C ,, But he has a ways to go to prove himself as an NHL top 6 let alone a very responsible C at NHL leve

I could see him slotting in as a C by next season and will obviously take a bit of time to find his footing. I have faith that he will be a very good 2nd line C in this league and pretty soon too.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I could see him slotting in as a C by next season and will obviously take a bit of time to find his footing. I have faith that he will be a very good 2nd line C in this league and pretty soon too.

Ok then why are Hawks trading the kid?

1 year of JVR is not worth giving up a major piece of future

Hawks aren't exactly a young team

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
This trade brings in a very responsible and skilled C in Schmaltz, which could allow Nylander to stay on the wing long term. I remember hearing from William himself that he played with and had good chemistry with Schmaltz somewhere, likely when they were much younger though. Nylander staying on the wing alongside a responsible C could allow him to keep his main focus on the offensive side, in which I could see him developing into a top 10 scorer in this league.

If we wanted to keep Nylander on the wing we would bring up Kadri and find someone in free agency or in another trade (Kruger for example) for a cheaper cost. We shouldn't be spending big assets on our position of strength.

Not to mention losing JVR kills our LW depth.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If we wanted to keep Nylander on the wing we would bring up Kadri and find someone in free agency or in another trade (Kruger for example) for a cheaper cost. We shouldn't be spending big assets on our position of strength.

Not to mention losing JVR kills our LW depth.

Matthews
Schmaltz
Kadri

Presents much more of a threat of having 3 dangerous lines even now and for sure long term than:

Matthews
Kadri
Kruger

Kadri is the matchup guy already, so not much need for Kruger other than a 4th line role. Schmaltz would honestly be the perfect fit as he is both skilled and dependable.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Honest question, what's with all of the center to TO proposals? Did i miss where we fixed our D and are now shopping for unneeded luxury items?

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
Matthews
Schmaltz
Kadri

Presents much more of a threat of having 3 dangerous lines even now and for sure long term than:

Matthews
Kadri
Kruger

Kadri is the matchup guy already, so not much need for Kruger other than a 4th line role. Schmaltz would honestly be the perfect fit as he is both skilled and dependable.
Which is why Nylander moves the 2C and problem is solved lol. Centre is the Leafs position of strength and the last position we should be spending assets on.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't think that Chicago can add any cap for now. As weird as it sounds, JVR @ 2.125 for next year is too expensive.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So you looked at our roster and decided we needed to make our LW the worst in the league so we could make our C deeper?

This proposal does not look at either teams needs and is poorly thought out. Sorry Chicago fans.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Matthews
Schmaltz
Kadri
XXX

Can Schmaltz play RHD?
No?
Then No.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
So you looked at our roster and decided we needed to make our LW the worst in the league so we could make our C deeper?

This proposal does not look at either teams needs and is poorly thought out. Sorry Chicago fans.

More so about looking to cash in on JVR'S value knowing we have many internal options that are near ready. Sure they are not going to replace JVR'S current production, but that is usually the case when deals like this are made.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Centre core next season:

Matthews
Bozak
Kadri
Boyle/Gauthier

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Gauthier

Already a really young centre core and a very talented one at that.

GOAT is out until January he's a non factor this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad